IGNORED

Gaggia Classic- Electrics Issue

Yup - that bottom connection should be in the middle and the middle should be bottom... swap them round!

Ok, I'm going to test this and report, thanks a lot !

It Lit UP!! Thank You ! I was at my wit's end .

now should i try to prime it ?

Edited by Billio
  • 2 months later...

I am also experiencing a problem with my Gaggia Classic tripping the fuse.

I have a 6 month old American version of the Classic with two prong (I believe non earthed plug). Everything seemed to run fine for the past 6 months until I recently got around to decalicifying my machine (I don't use it that often). It get the impression that it found the whole process quite strenuous but it was only the day after that I noticed it shorting. Does anyone have any clue what could be causing the problem?

Turning the machine on is fine, and sometimes the wand seems to work fine but it always causes the fuse to go when the main button is pressed. I don't see any obvious signs of water damage but I do admit I got a funny smell after decalicifying my machine as if the liquid burnt a bit when doing its job (but it could have been a part too). Below is a photo of the inside. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20180517_215323.jpg

I looked at the process with the lid off and was astonished to see water dripping at the point at what I assume is the boiler.

I tightened the gold connector but afterwards saw that the leak is actually from where the plastic and metal is fused together. (photo below where you can even see water).

IMG_20180519_134102.jpg

This might have been a fault from when I have the machine - is it a known fault? Does anyone know if it can easily be fixed?

Thanks for that. It appears the leak is fixed but it still shorts the moment the coffee extractor button is engaged. I guess some cables have been damaged. Am I right in saying I need to use a multi meter to determine where the problem or does such a problem sound clear to anyone? Again any advice is greatly appreciated.

So, confirm:

1) machine turns on and heats up (left most switch 0-1)

2) machine can also reach steam temperature (centre switch with steam picture)

3) machine shorts when you press the brew switch (right switch with coffee picture)

Pressing the brew switch activates the pump and the solenoid, both of which use electricity, and near the leak source!

Check them both, the solenoid is usually pretty bomb proof and rarely fails. Your pump appears to be an ancient Invensys with a thermal protection module on the side, this is a possible source of failure if it got wet (see warnings about electricity and water)

Again, I would never use this machine without an earth connection!

Edited by timmyjj21

I don't know why Gaggia shipped their product out without one if that's the case. Seems like a random oversight if true. Is it a typical modification to change it?

But indeed your synopsis is accurate, though on top sometimes when hitting the steam button the machine shorts but not every time. Am still waiting to get my hands on a multimeter to see if that sheds some light on anything. Thanks for you assistance.

I don't know why Gaggia shipped their product out without one if that's the case. Seems like a random oversight if true. Is it a typical modification to change it?

But indeed your synopsis is accurate, though on top sometimes when hitting the steam button the machine shorts but not every time. Am still waiting to get my hands on a multimeter to see if that sheds some light on anything. Thanks for you assistance.

Think a few peeps may have missed yours is a US spec machine with no earth as standard.

The UK/EU 240/220 spec machines all have earth fitted as standard & being a UK board it's a little strange seeing one without.