It's hard to say. How's the machine been looked after? Has it been descaled regularly? Has it been backflused regularly? Has it been cleaned regularly? What's the state of the boiler?

A well-kept and looked after Gaggia Classic machine with the Steam Wand and OPV mod goes for around £150 in this forum.

Good luck.

Having recently re-read this thread I now really appreciate the time and expertise taken in clarifying what can be a confusing and counter intuitive subject. Thank you.

Guest athenalaura

Really helpful thread for a beginner like me!

Thanks!

I was wondering what people's thoughts on the Duo Temp were. I have a Smart Grinder Pro and am using a DeLonghi Scultura with a an unpressurized filter and am not sure exactly how much it is going to improve on my current set up. One main thing would be a decent stream wand but I'm less sure about the shot itself.

The Gaggia Classic is at 250gpb brand new on Amazon. Is it worth it at this price or better go for second hand? Bearing in mind the need to get a good grinder as well (I am starting from scratch, budget of 400-450gbp)

Thnks

The Gaggia Classic is at 250gpb ... Is it worth it at this price or better go for second hand?

You might get lucky and find that our own @gaggiamanualservice.com on here has a properly refurbished pre-15 model with the 3-way solenoid for sale which may be better (or at least as good but £100 cheaper). That will leave you enough to get a better grinder (more important than the machine at that price point) plus the usual necessities like decent tamper, basket, scales etc.

___

Eat, drink and be merry

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Thanks for this post and thread. Doing some serious research into getting myself a machine and grinder again, and things like this are invaluable.