benjaminjamesmason

Do you add sugar or Sweetener to an espresso shot?

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, so I hope I am doing everything correctly! :confused:

I currently own a Nespresso Citiz and Milk machine and I love it very much and naturally as this is my first machine, I want to experiment and try lots of different recipes.

It would be a fair comment to say that at the moment, whilst I do love a cup of coffee I am no taste professional. I am learning!

What I am wondering though is. Does anyone here reading this add any sugar or sweeteners to a freshly brewed short or lungo espresso?

In some ways I feel this is not normal, I do like to have sweeteners in my coffee but this tends to be only when mixed with frothed milk but not black. I tend to wonder by adding sweetness am I ruining the flavour as a whole of the shot?

I understand that it would be down to the individuals taste on whether you do or do not add to it. But it would be great to get a better understanding of peoples perceptions and opinions on this.

Thanks for reading my first ever post and I look forward to any replies and getting involved in lots of talk about coffee! :):coffee:

Benjamin

Hi and welcome. Don't think you'll find much sugar being added to espresso around here. Coffee has a natural sweetness that if extracted properly shines through.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't add sugar. Although I also use fresh ground and roasted coffee which will make a tastier espresso than a nespresso (IMHO ),

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I bought the other half a Nespresso CitiZ And Milk, it is the king of pod machines, but not really what people round these parts call proper coffee. Back on topic.. I'm not sure if I actually own any sugar. I would never put it in coffee, although I do like a latte and sometimes go for a dab of Monin vanilla or gingerbread syrup. Although, the deeper I head into this coffee lark, the more I'm drifting away from additives of any kind.

LR|F83EV2|Niche|Lunar

Thanks for the replies so far! I agree with Sean, I do tend to have gingerbread Monin syrup and vanilla in my coffees sometimes. I much prefer my Nespresso for convenience more than anything else. I may add a little bit of squirty cream to the gingerbread if I am feeling generous for a treat! :drink:

If you like sugar with your espresso, add it to the cup before making the shot: It minimises stirring to dissolve the sugar & hence minimises cooling of the brew.

Hi and welcome!

I never add anything to my espresso - although many of my Italian friends are horrified that I don't. They all seem to add a little sugar. That may, of course, be because the coffee is bitter due to not being properly extracted!!

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

Hi and welcome!

I never add anything to my espresso - although many of my Italian friends are horrified that I don't. They all seem to add a little sugar. That may, of course, be because the coffee is bitter due to not being properly extracted!!

David he is spamming his post count up :)

As am I ...

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

If you feel the need to add something then do so. Personally, I add milk to mine as I find a cup of just espresso, especially a dark roast, just too much.

I had to laugh at my dad.. I made what I considered to be a thoroughly decent Cappuccino for him and the first thing he did was to stir it all up with a spoon and then dump two spoon fulls of white sugar in it. Then he took his first sip. His choice, but I almost cried!

~~~~~

Ian

Fracino Cherub, Eureka Mignon grinder, empty bank account.

I don't add sugar to espresso because for me it disguises the subtle flavours of the coffee too much. But if I have a americano with a bit of milk then I will have a single spoon of demerara. I don't have sugar in any all milk coffees as milk has a lovely natural sweetness if not over-steamed.

Don't feel embarrassed about adding sugar. It is personal taste. There is no right or wrong and if that is how you like your coffee then enjoy!

If you need/want to add sugar/sweetnener then do.

Personally, I aim to get the sweetness out of the coffee itself.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Ive never added sugar to hot drinks so, to my tastes, adding sugar makes a bad drink taste worse. But has been said previously, it is personal preference

a grinder a lever and some beans

I always add sugar, but only ever brown

Or a syrup if Im feeling decadent

Then again I'm not a connesieur either - Im still learning

Nice hint on adding sugar 1st from espressotechno - thanks

To me do whatever floats your boat and enjoy!

I always have a spoon of demerera in milk based coffees, but I never have any sugar in an espresso.

I'll skip the sugar if only white is available.

I tend to have a latte in the morning and espresso in the evening.

I had a coffee from Starbucks last week and it must be the first time I've put 2 sugars in to take away the truly hideous ashy taste away. I'm truly ruined for life thanks to this forum :)

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Starbucks coffee - well there's the problem!

I don't think anything can redeem it.

Sugar is probably better than chemical sweeteners, but try to live without either.

Bruce Boogie

www.boogiebopboys.co.uk

Playing the music that created teenagers! :cool:

Fracino Piccino ~ little and lovely

La Pavoni Professional ~ sexy and shiny

Black Eureka Mignon grinder ~ a cracking little grinder

I have never managed to come across an espresso or other drink of coffee that I didn't prefer with a bit of sugar, extracted at home or bought from a respected coffee shop. It is undoubtedly true that a lot, or even all the bitterness of an espresso goes when properly extracted, but for my palette a bit of sugar is needed to make it truly enjoyable.

That said, if you are drinking espresso from starbucks, you could well enjoy a proper espresso from a good coffee shop without any sugar at all.

Find the best independent near you and give it a try :)

Motorway services....middle of the night.... Costa medium americano...... 10 sugars..... bottle of water to freshen my mouth sometime in the remaining 2 hour journey.

At home milk added if espresso is not sweet enough.