I think it is legally and not with the under value way but as David says it is getting tougher. I think they add the stuff to shipments from moving companies for people that are changing countries - I will find out more, some of my friends bought all their new born baby stuff this way I think.

Frappe still rocks!

I think it is getting tougher - I used have the odd package arrive without being levied but the last year or so every single one has been charged.

I agree with that.

I used to have Hottops direct from Taiwan & was never charged anything extra. Also my Versalab was declared at full cost on the customs form but was never charged.

That was maybe five or more years ago.

Nowadays nothing seems to get missed. I had 2 x $158 control boards for a HT conversion within the last 2 years & both got caught on entry. I had some steam wand tips from Chris Coffee at $38 & had to pay at the local sorting office before delivery. Thank goodness Hottop now keep a few machines & some spares here in the UK.

Ron 

Something like this would be easy to undervalue at customs if you so wished, if this said $200 on the side the customs guys wouldn't know any better. I have had expensive ski bindings delivered with minimal charges this way. You of course need a seller who is prepared to do this, most are but some get nervous about it.

By far the best way is to be in the fortunate position of making a trip to america yourself, or have a friend who is and then bring it back in luggage, where you are not liable for the taxes.

What about a group buy?

GS3 and Versalab M3; Vario Home, Aeropress and Kalita Wave

Unsure you would get discount to be honest....

Or a sufficient number of people wanting to buy.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

To my knowledge Versalab do not do discounts nor will they falsify values on a customs document.

You do need to factor in the full VAT & Duty to be paid if you want to buy one.

Ron 

To my knowledge Versalab do not do discounts nor will they falsify values on a customs document.

You do need to factor in the full VAT & Duty to be paid if you want to buy one.

Unless you pick it up in person...

*not legal btw

Something like this would be easy to undervalue at customs if you so wished, if this said $200 on the side the customs guys wouldn't know any better. I have had expensive ski bindings delivered with minimal charges this way. You of course need a seller who is prepared to do this, most are but some get nervous about it.

By far the best way is to be in the fortunate position of making a trip to america yourself, or have a friend who is and then bring it back in luggage, where you are not liable for the taxes.

Sorry but I have to take issue with you on twe points. Firstly, if the sender undervalues the goods then they assume all the risk if it is lost or damaged because their insurance would be based on the declared value. Most reputable people won't do it.

Secondly, your personal duty free limit if you're hand carrying it, is way less than the cost of an M3! It is going to be x-rayed in any case and if you're stopped you'd have to declare it and pay the duty.

I think the only way is to be totally honest and pay what is due!!

DB

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

Sorry but I have to take issue with you on twe points. Firstly, if the sender undervalues the goods then they assume all the risk if it is lost or damaged because their insurance would be based on the declared value. Most reputable people won't do it.

Secondly, your personal duty free limit if you're hand carrying it, is way less than the cost of an M3! It is going to be x-rayed in any case and if you're stopped you'd have to declare it and pay the duty.

DB

I wouldn't dispute either point.

Some sellers are well aware that these things rarely, if ever, get followed up, and I have on more than one occasion had goods undervalued to avoid customs. I am not saying the seller of the versalab will do this, as I said, many are far too 'nervous' or if you prefer 'law abiding' to do this.

I would be very surprised if a customs official stopped you at the airport with an m3 claiming to know its full value, officially of course you would have to pay the duty. I am not trying to illustrate how things officially work but merely how they do, and what you can 'get away with'.

DB

It is only being x rayed on the way out - this country doesn't care or know if you pay duty on it.

You obviously carry the risk of getting pulled by customs and we can debate the morality of it all day long but this activity isn't unusual, I'd guess thousands arriving into the UK every day are blowing their duty free limit although obviously not very often on the scale of the m3.

Everyone who's talking about bringing one back in person might want to check their airline's excess baggage weight policy, as I believe the Versalab is rather heavy, and airlines can charge a fortune per kilo over your limit.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Everyone who's talking about bringing one back in person might want to check their airline's excess baggage weight policy, as I believe the Versalab is rather heavy, and airlines can charge a fortune per kilo over your limit.

It's 32kg so biz or first would cover it

Extra weight is also not that expensive if you pay for it in advance.

Extra weight is also not that expensive if you pay for it in advance.

Depends on the airline Dylan, I would be worried about sticking a £2k grinder in as hold baggage , having seen what baggage handlers can do to even the most solid suitcases and flight cases for sound and music gear.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Depends on the airline Dylan, I would be worried about sticking a £2k grinder in as hold baggage , having seen what baggage handlers can do to even the most solid suitcases and flight cases for sound and music gear.

Whilst its true that many charge exorbitant prices, especially when you are just taking clothes, if it is in comparison to a tax saving it would seem more reasonable.

I'm not sure baggage handlers have a worse reputation than international post, but either way all risks should be considered, and obviously weighed against a slightly-illicit saving of money.

Frank has had far FAR more Versalab experience than any single Versalab owner. He was simply not given proper (IMO) credit for this, hence he exited this (once fascinating) thread.

At the point in time (I guess) the thread participant(s) here were taking objection to (almost everything) Frank was saying they could not see into the future, where Terranova has now modified several dozen Versalab M3s( as far as I can tell by reading on here andon HB, etc). Frank's point was that some Versalabs were really good and some were OK and some were pretty bad, has (from everything I have read) turned out to be pretty much true.

IMO, essentially one user here, subjectively, and in order to justify their (sole) position (somewhat) aggressively offended a manufacturer with much more objective experience and (very valuable) engineering knowledge.

Too bad guys

Frank has had far FAR more Versalab experience than any single Versalab owner. He was simply not given proper (IMO) credit for this, hence he exited this (once fascinating) thread.

At the point in time (I guess) the thread participant(s) here were taking objection to (almost everything) Frank was saying they could not see into the future, where Terranova has now modified several dozen Versalab M3s( as far as I can tell by reading on here andon HB, etc). Frank's point was that some Versalabs were really good and some were OK and some were pretty bad, has (from everything I have read) turned out to be pretty much true.

IMO, essentially one user here, subjectively, and in order to justify their (sole) position (somewhat) aggressively offended a manufacturer with much more objective experience and (very valuable) engineering knowledge.

Too bad guys

Frank's contributions were great, I agree it is a shame he left this discussion and the forum but it is not as simple as your post suggests.

Dylan,

I am sure you are right, I only just began reading on coffeeforums.co.uk

cheers

Frank's contributions were great, I agree it is a shame he left this discussion and the forum but it is not as simple as your post suggests.

Resurrecting this thread as may be looking to get one of these in the foreseeable

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

@Jason1wood

In case you haven't already read this (posted earlier in this thread)?

Thanks mate. Will read that later, off out for breakfast in the sun with gf

Espresso: Quick Mill Verona

Grinder: Mythos and loving it

Tampers: Reg Barber flat 58.35

.....off out for breakfast in the sun with gf

Likely to be more rewarding than an V.M3 I reckon :)

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler