and i am certainly glad you opted to change Ron ;)

AKA Toffee chips

Thanks for the answers, guys, very helpful (as ever :))

It is starting to look like (keeping my sensible financial head on [ha ha, yeah right!]) the HG one might be the right one for me - I rarely make as many as half a dozen drinks at a time and it is usually just the one for me, maybe adding one or two for my wife and sister in law. I am going to have a session some time at Mr Systemic's to play on his HG one and Ek but I am probably wanting to leave the decision a few months more, yet. It doesn't seem to make that much sense to blow an extra grand on an EK when the HG one gets me pretty close (0bv I know I need to try myself rather than just rely on reviews before Mr Boots reminds me of that :))

Gene, HG One, LI

Good choice, i dont think you will be dissapointed with the results from the hg1, might even get patrick to relinquish his!!!

AKA Toffee chips

The EK is super fast but the result is similar to the Versalab.
Does this mean by taste in the cup ? Or by analysis of particle size of the grind ? The Ek 43 is producing the most ammount of fines compared to many other grinders i.e Mazzer Robur, Mahlkonig K30, Anfim Super Caimano. The burr geometry of the DRM vs EK 43 is very different, that´s why I am asking. @ EriC very cool story with the PF holder, so the holes and threads for the PF holder must have been drilled by Versalab before the PF holder was invented ?

Thats really strange frank as the users of the uk43 with coffee burrs are noticing much less fines then other grinders, are you using turkish burrs?

AKA Toffee chips

Pergers study showed ek produced more 'fines' but they were closer to the target particle size. The fines with the robur were more significant because you had loads of fines but also big boulders which skewed extraction

http://mattperger.com/The-EK43-Part-Three

Does this mean by taste in the cup ? Or by analysis of particle size of the grind ? @ EriC very cool story with the PF holder, so the holes and threads for the PF holder must have been drilled by Versalab before the PF holder was invented ?

The taste in the cup is how I judge my coffee equipment. I am not scientific & my coffee skills do not encompass minute examination of the fines.

I have said before in another thread & others have agreed with me, the EK IMO produces a different kind of espresso, not better, not worse than the Versalab but decidedly different.

If you speak to Laura at Versalab she will tell you the PF holder was always going to be an option & they therefore pre-drilled the holder holes to take whatever size of PF holder you wished to accommodate.

Ron 

By my reckoning, the Versalab is currently just a shade under £1300 for the base unit and ph holder. Carriage is on top, then import duty, so I am guessing a ball park figure of around £1550 in the UK.

The taste in the cup is how I judge my coffee equipment. .
Of course, I think that this is what we all do and that is why I was wondering about you having a "similar result" between 2 totally different grinders and different burr geometry. One is made for espresso, the other is made for other brewing methods which need a more homogeneous / uniform grind.So just another evidence how subjective taste is. Yea I can ask Laura, but I don´t need to. I had the problem of different Versalabs and the PF holder would not fit on any other Versalab. So practice and theorie does not always go hand in hand.

Good choice, i dont think you will be dissapointed with the results from the hg1, might even get patrick to relinquish his!!!

As if Patrick will ever relinquish hold of his beautiful ornament ;)

Gene, HG One, LI

By my reckoning, the Versalab is currently just a shade under £1300 for the base unit and ph holder. Carriage is on top, then import duty, so I am guessing a ball park figure of around £1550 in the UK.

No, please tell me it is lots more so I can ignore it!

Gene, HG One, LI

So just another evidence how subjective taste is.

That's probably about the only thing I am able to agree with you on. Sorry.

Ron 

But it wont do brewed very well... nor will it run for 45 mins and chomp 30kgs in one go

@garydyke1

Thats really strange frank as the users of the uk43 with coffee burrs are noticing much less fines then other grinders, are you using turkish burrs?

More ''fines'' in terms of bits at minute microns, but these ''fines'' are less fine compared to majority of the particles across the range

@garydyke1

But it wont do brewed very well... nor will it run for 45 mins and chomp 30kgs in one go

not but it fits under the units and doesnt consume your kitchen

AKA Toffee chips

Have just relooked at the current price:

Basic Versalab M3 $1985 plus

PF Holder of choice $185 =

Total $2170

Shipping $130 (remember weight)

$ Total $2390.00 at say £1.60 rate of exchange = £1493.75

Plus 20% VAT on arrival £299 so grand total expenditure currently = £1791

E&OE (not sure about VAT on the shipping)

Ron 

not but it fits under the units and doesnt consume your kitchen

Yeah I lost a fridge when it accidentally sucked in through the hopper, that motor is a beast !

@garydyke1

I do not think it is advertised as anything but an espresso grinder. The ability to do brewed is only relevant if you drink brewed, and I do not! It is an interesting thought though, a Versalab paired with a decent flat burr grinder to cover all bases. Perhaps I should sell my K8 fresh!

Have just relooked at the current price:

Basic Versalab M3 $1985 plus

PF Holder of choice $185 =

Total $2170

Shipping $130 (remember weight)

$ Total $2390.00 at say £1.60 rate of exchange = £1493.75

Plus 20% VAT on arrival £299 so grand total expenditure currently = £1791

E&OE (not sure about VAT on the shipping)

sorry ron , can you qualify that last bit E&OE?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Oh I don´t take it personally. I have noticed your ignorance for details much earlier. Never mind, bye.

Frank clearly you are taking it personally, you have openly stated that you dont think the quality of the vesalab is up to much UNLESS your mods are done, then you say it is however still the best grinder on the market. So which is it, or is your modified grinder the best grinder on the planet, if so why did i not see one at the WBC?

AKA Toffee chips

I do not think it is advertised as anything but an espresso grinder. The ability to do brewed is only relevant if you drink brewed, and I do not! It is an interesting thought though, a Versalab paired with a decent flat burr grinder to cover all bases. Perhaps I should sell my K8 fresh!

Need to sell the zenith first :)

Instagram - rjw_inc

Agreed. If espresso was the only beverage being made the EK perhaps isnt the right solution, certainly isnt the cheapest.

@garydyke1

Oh I don´t take it personally. I have noticed your ignorance for details much earlier. Never mind, bye.

I think we can agree to disagree without being personal

Instagram - rjw_inc

Need to sell the zenith first :)

Is that an offer! The Zenith does not come into the equation. I have people up here who will buy it, but I just thought the forum should get first offer. If people cannot see a bargain then that's not my problem!

I suppose the Zenith plus the K8 puts me very close to a Versalab though. but, would need to sort a second grinder out first, or rather second!