Quick questions, is the only way to get a new one to import it from America ?? Do they come up second hand often ??

I wonder how many are even in the country?

Mind you, not seeing many 2nd hand is generally a sign of happy owners

I wonder how many are even in the country?

Mind you, not seeing many 2nd hand is generally a sign of happy owners

Yes thats a good point, Import it is then :)

If one came up there would be of of competition for it....

I don't remember there being much competition for Ron's Versalab when he sold that. As the others have said pretty much the only way you'll get your hands on one is to buy from manufacturers in the USA, which then means you also need to decide if you want the Terranova mods doing before it reaches you ( I'm not sure exactly what the mods do but I know they are highly rated over on HB). I would hazard a guess that there are no more than handful of them in the UK anyway and that most people wouldn't part with their's even if offered a barely used female kidney.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

There are under 12 in the UK according to Laura at Versalab when I asked her a year or so ago.

They rarely come up secondhand. When I sold mine to coffee chap on here it happened in a 'blink of an eye'

The only way to get one is to import from US. Total current cost including duty & shipping is circa £2200

Unless you are seeking engineering perfection the mods are not necessary IMHO. The Grinder never gave me a days worry all the years I enjoyed it

Ron 

You right As usual Charlie no one else wanted it or was trying to type I'll take it when it was posted up.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've just remembered that i spoke to someone who had one of those 12 outside in the que at the LCF. He sold his on but I can't remember the reason why? That's going to annoy me now!!!!!

most people wouldn't part with their's even if offered a barely used female kidney.

i dont think they have the same value in the grinder black market as they do in the tamper blackmarket

.....Terranova mods ....I'm not sure exactly what the mods do.

There is a fascinating step-by-step thread on HB that shows exactly what Terranova did to his Versalab. I couldn't stop reading. It came on line as he completed each step rather like a soap opera.

The core modifications were to ensure that the burrs stayed absolutely true to each other and that the belt drive did not slip. This involved re-engineering a two piece drive rod into a single piece and incorporating better bearings so that the drive rod stayed perfectly central as it span. I think the drive belt and sprocket were given teeth so that they would not slip under effort. The other modifications were cosmetic: a beautiful scale for grind, and refinished and polished grinder elements.

Rumour has it the end product is $5000 but it will certainly be for vorsprung durch precision. Terranova and his friends are obviously most capable and detail people.

This is my dream grinder, as much for its story as for its alleged ability in the cup.

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

This is my dream grinder, as much for its story as for its alleged ability in the cup.

The Versalab in daily use will meet all your Home use requirements. It just produces near perfect coffee grounds.

It has to accepted it is slow but if your needs do not require more than 3-6 drinks at one time then it is the almost perfect answer.

Most people who have them love them.

The 'mods' satisfy engineering perfection & a joy to observe but as for noticeably improving the coffee??????.

Really capable people love to re-invent the wheel

Edited by ronsil

Ron 

Twice the money for what is already a fantastic grinder, just don't think the modifications are worth the money.

AKA Toffee chips

There you go - thats two of us with hands on experience!

Ron 

Is it really as huge as it looks?

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

The basic machine is quite small. The optional 2 hoppers make it appear much bigger

Ron 

Its working out at £1400 for the grinder including vat so where does the other £800 come from ?? I know theres some import fee,s and postage but it cant amount to 800 quid surely ?

If alignment / parallel burrs / particle size distribution doesn´t make a difference in taste, then temperature stability and brew pressure also doesn´t make a difference at any espresso machine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhUH31DHUg&list=UUyynBy90JgZ7763nIJCTpCQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axy25m9FgpA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4w8QOR2-k

If alignment / parallel burrs / particle size distribution doesn´t make a difference in taste, then temperature stability and brew pressure also doesn´t make a difference at any espresso machine.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahhUH31DHUg&list=UUyynBy90JgZ7763nIJCTpCQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axy25m9FgpA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4w8QOR2-k

Lot of ifs there! I don't think anyone is disputing the quality of your work or the outcome, it is the perceived gain versus the price involved. My versalab produces pretty good grind consistency and in the cup is excellent and it is completely unmodified!! Why do I need to spend another £2000 on it?

When will we see your grinder come to the market as surely re-engineering is more costly than ground up building, especially with your knowledge.

AKA Toffee chips

Pure opinion but looks & quality aside I just cannot see what improvement to the coffee has been made to justify double the price.

The mods make it a beautiful working monument & I'd be proud to own one BUT not at that money.

Ron 

My versalab produces pretty good grind consistency and in the cup is excellent and it is completely unmodified!! Why do I need to spend another £2000 on it?
I don´t blame you and without a doubt you might be a lucky owner with a good running M3. It is just Ronsil who recommends an M3 although it is a gamble if you get a good one or not, so he ignores that many other users have serious problems. Every grinder at VL is built to order and no funnel will fit in another middle plate than the original one. Not even the PF holder will fit on any other M3, just by coincidence. I don´t know where the 2k price comes from, but if you want high tech materials and high tech coatings it really might end up in this price range, but it got nothing to do with functionality of the grinder. This for example was a no profit project, every detail is listed. http://www.home-barista.com/buysell/versalab-m3-custom-built-t29361.html
When will we see your grinder come to the market as surely re-engineering is more costly than ground up building, especially with your knowledge.
You are right of course, but to build something without a compromise regarding function, accuracy and durability will at least double the price of the American pendant. Some people like a 911 Carrera, others prefere a 911 Turbo which doubles the price, for some it is worth it, for others it is not... so easy.

Its working out at £1400 for the grinder including vat

No that's without one hopper & VAT which would have to be paid on entering the UK together with unknown customs duty plus shipping with insurance approx £120.

Would certainly agree the $ to £ conversion has improved over the past year & since I last totalled it up.

I paid a total £1850 seven years ago.

Ron 

I don´t blame you and without a doubt you might be a lucky owner with a good running M3. It is just Ronsil who recommends an M3 although it is a gamble if you get a good one or not, so he ignores that many other users have serious problems.

....errrrrh?? we are talking about the same Grinder here. I sold it to coffeechap.

It was certainly not a gamble for me. It performed exactly as stated by Versalab. If it had not I would have returned it to the makers.

Ron 

....errrrrh?? we are talking about the same Grinder here. I sold it to coffeechap.It was certainly not a gamble for me. It performed exactly as stated by Versalab. If it had not I would have returned it to the makers.
I think you did not get my point, might be my bad english to blame.The point is, not 2 M3´s are the same, you know of many unhappy users at HB (you read the thread) so recommending this grinder is more than optimistic. A return would not be accepted, as long as everything is inside their personal tolerances, you would have to pay for the shipping costs. I know more than one story like this. But it is still the best grinder available, you just need some luck. Edited by Terranova