Neill

Hg one experiences

I've started using mine for a V60-01 at home as I have a grind just shy of espresso (and i've the old model so adjustment isn't as easy). I'm happy with what comes out in the cup though

I watched this Video:

I would have had the beans ground, into the portafilter, tamped and locked into the group in around 17 s, 37 s later my shot would be ready and long before he started pulling his shot I would have cleaned up and left the kitchen. It was 2m 15s until he finished tamping. This to me is incomprehensible, I presume the results must really be worth it?

My reviews at http://coffeestuff.byethost12.com/ (now ad free)  Various Machines and grinders, Amazon Dalian 1kg Drum Roaster: My reviews at https://coffeeequipmentreviews.wordpress.com/ (old site)

I recently tried some coffee from a v60, and found the same as you, opening about 3/4 of a turn.

I had not tried coffee from a v60 before and was totally amazed by the smell and taste. I cant remember what the coffee was but had a wonderful

marmite smell and tasted delicious.

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

I watched this Video:

I would have had the beans ground, into the portafilter, tamped and locked into the group in around 17 s, 37 s later my shot would be ready and long before he started pulling his shot I would have cleaned up and left the kitchen. It was 2m 15s until he finished tamping. This to me is incomprehensible, I presume the results must really be worth it?

To some people speed isn't everything .....

It single doses very well

Very little retention

Yes it delivers a very good cup :)

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I watched this Video:

I know its not the quickest work flow! But I did know that when I ordered it. I wanted to go as big burrs as I could but I didn't particularly want a large commercial grinder in my kitchen. I only ever make one or two coffees in a row so speed isn't essential. I also single dose and wanted minimal retention. There's something enjoyable about the process too. It does make a great cup though I haven't realised its full potential yet as I need a machine upgrade. It's also significantly cheaper than some of the commercial equivalents. Plus, look at it, it looks great in my kitchen! Most of all I like the really well thought out engineering from the magnetic funnel attachment to the catch cup with removable base.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

There's something Zen-like using the HG One. Speed just isn't part of the equation. As such it's a pleasure for some and a source of frustrating irritation for others.

Is it me or does that basket look seriously warped? Probably the camera angle.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

There's something Zen-like using the HG One. Speed just isn't part of the equation. As such it's a pleasure for some and a source of frustrating irritation for others.

Is it me or does that basket look seriously warped? Probably the camera angle.

I think its maybe a reflection off the machine. Have you tried yours for brewed?

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Haven't Neil - rather preoccupied with bedding in the EK so the HG is on holiday:).

Haven't Neil - rather preoccupied with bedding in the EK so the HG is on holiday:).

The porch In your house doesn't count as a holiday destination

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

The porch In your house doesn't count as a holiday destination

The hall actually - morphed into a piece of installation art alongside the Caravel.

Great thread! I am considering an HG1 am trying to get a feel for total cost. I can estimate the tax and duty, but its not clear to me on the HG1 website if the blind tumbler is included with the grinder or if its an extra. Can anyone enlighten me on that? Cheers.

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

Great thread! I am considering an HG1 am trying to get a feel for total cost. I can estimate the tax and duty, but its not clear to me on the HG1 website if the blind tumbler is included with the grinder or if its an extra. Can anyone enlighten me on that? Cheers.

The tumbler, a funnel wiper, glass stirring rod and a measuring cup are all included.

I am very interested to know how long your routine takes with the HG1 from beans entering the hopper to the PF going on your machine. I am wondering basically if its similar to my SJ single dosing with the usual mods...

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

Not much more than a minute for me grinding 18g.

Approx 40 turns of the handle.

Stir cup with a cocktail stick

dump into portafilter (ding, ding)

level off,

tamp,

lock portafilter into machine

I am very interested to know how long your routine takes with the HG1 from beans entering the hopper to the PF going on your machine. I am wondering basically if its similar to my SJ single dosing with the usual mods...

if you're happy with doing single dosing on your sj , dosing and grinding on the hg1 is not going to bother you.

i found the more practise on the hg1 the easier it became .

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Yeh, its the faff that I am hoping to reduce. A minute is close to the SJ. I recognise though that is where the comparison ends! :o

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

I enjoy the process of making a shot on the hg. It's not that quick but I enjoy it in the way I enjoy pouring a chemex of Kalita.

Thats understandable and in a way its an attraction. I need to get my head around what my priorities are, but its great to have the info here to help the process.

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

Could any body please let me know what kind of liquid he spray into the beans before grinding? Is it water? Should it be used only with hand grinder?

Thanks

It's water in the spray. Reduces static. You can just put a drop on and shake the beans.

It's water in the spray. Reduces static. You can just put a drop on and shake the beans.

Thanks

so it will be not necessary if the burr is ceramic?

Thanks

so it will be not necessary if the burr is ceramic?

What grinder are we talking about, porlex? Not sure if it's worth it. It is for the hg but it depends a lot on the climate you're in and the number of back to back shots. Coffee starts to stick to the funnel once the static builds up.

Used my hg for the first time at home today. Fluffy, fluffy, fluffy! Not really had chance to play properly with it as only 4-5 drinks from end of one bean / child care/ busy working day etc. but very fluffy!

did I mention the coffee comes out fluffy? I thought it was quite fluffy from the SJ but nothing like from the hg - the consistency of the ground coffee is so different I think I will need to learn to tamp all over again!

Gene, HG One, LI

Used my hg for the first time at home today. Fluffy, fluffy, fluffy! Not really had chance to play properly with it as only 4-5 drinks from end of one bean / child care/ busy working day etc. but very fluffy!

did I mention the coffee comes out fluffy? I thought it was quite fluffy from the SJ but nothing like from the hg - the consistency of the ground coffee is so different I think I will need to learn to tamp all over again!

Yeah, fluffy. Do you redistribute with a nsew sweep or just tamp the mound?