Neill

Hg one experiences

I'm aware a few of these have landed recently and I'd been posting some of my experiences in a show off your setup thread so I thought I'd start a new thread for anyone wanting to chip in.

My set up is a bit unusual with the 2014 with mazzer bb burrs pared with a PID'd gaggia classic.

I've now over 3kg of beans through it and my arm is glad of a rest. Got my first decent pour tonight of the finca angelina from 3fe. I've had a few drinkable ones but that was much more enjoyable and didn't have to many spritzers- a few to begin with but I always found that with lighter roasts. Nice central pour this time. No dead spots. Ran it a bit shorter than planned at 19 in and 30 out in 30s. Was aiming for 38 which seemed to work before. Still tasted better than the shot that did run to 38. Nice balance of fruit and chocolate.

One thing to note. Espresso range does not seem to be 1.25 turns out from zero as suggested in the quick start guide. Suppose it depends on the bean but mine is closer to 1 turn.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Look forward to hearing more ......good idea Neil

Really enjoying it so far. It's great to look at too!

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

I look forward to hearing more - HG one on my list of possibles

I had been eyeing one up for a long time and I'm not disappointed.

I had been eyeing one up for a long time and I'm not disappointed.

Your brother might win one in the raffle!!

AKA Toffee chips

Your brother might win one in the raffle!!

I knew he wouldn't be able to resist the opportunity.

Still working on the finca angelina. Flat white this morning. Crema looked very dark, even on a longer shot of 36 from 19. Milk skills are gone completely- out of practice. Lovely dark chocolate taste in milk with a hint of fruits. Espresso this evening. No change on grind but this time I got 32 out of 19 in 30s. Maybe I nutated harder? Really even pour. No spritzers. Sweet chocolate and nice balance of citrus.

Another couple of shots this morning. Any worries about the stepped adjustment were unfounded. I adjusted by one step this morning and it was fine enough not to make any great difference to the pour. It's also incredibly easy to adjust and allows for easy alignment at set points. Anyone who hasn't caught on, the markings are in Braille.

How are you finding the shots look on a bottomless Neill?

I find that around the 15-20 second mark the shot looks like its blonding, reduced tiger striping but doesn't seem to make a difference to the shot taste. Are you seeing anything like this?

Yes, same here but doesn't taste under extracted and the crema looks normal colour with speckling.

Yes, same here but doesn't taste under extracted and the crema looks normal colour with speckling.

Although that was this mornings with a longer shot- stopped at 35g from 19. It didn't blond as much when I stopped it at 30g. How broken in are your burrs? Foubd mine sprayed everywhere until I'd 3 kg through it.

I think I've had the same through it. Bad spritzing at the start which has now virtually disappeared. Still get some with certain beans though.

I think I've had the same through it. Bad spritzing at the start which has now virtually disappeared. Still get some with certain beans though.

I always got some with certain beans in my old grinder so I suppose it's not surprising.

What prep routine are people using with the hg one? Once ground and any remaining grinds in the funnel swept in to the catch cup I set it on the pf, stir with the glass rod then lift the base and give it a shake to allow the grinds to fall through. I have been gently tapping the pf on a mat to get the grinds to fall off the sides of the catch cup. Lift the catch cup away and it leaves quite a central mound. I have been giving the pf a second gentle tap just to level this off, nutate then tamp. Decided to skip the nutate this morning, should have adjusted the grinder and ended up flowing a bit too quick. Still tasted good in milk tho.

What prep routine are people using with the hg one?

Load the beans, add couple of drops of water and grind into the blind tumbler - load tumbler onto portafilter which sits on an ECM stand so I've got both hands free. Stir grinds with four to five revolutions to mix in the fines then pull plug. Even out the grind with NESW routine, tamp light and good to go.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Load the beans, add couple of drops of water and grind into the blind tumbler - load tumbler onto portafilter which sits on an ECM stand so I've got both hands free. Stir grinds with four to five revolutions to mix in the fines then pull plug. Even out the grind with NESW routine, tamp light and good to go.

That sounds sensible. I'll drop the tapping and try the nesw routine.

Should have added, before tamping, I bang the portafilter once on the mat to settle any caves in the grinds.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Should have added, before tamping, I bang the portafilter once on the mat to settle any caves in the grinds.

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Decided to try it with the funnel wiper fitted today. Easy to fit, just one allen nut to undo. It makes a bit of an annoying squeak as you turn it. Also makes it harder to remove the funnel when the catch cup is under it. It leaves the funnel cleaner. Not sure it makes a big difference to the grinds. It's also a bit more awkward to brush grinds off the bottom of the burrs after use. I'll leave it on for now but may remove a again.

I left mine off and now just take the funnel off and give it a little tap. Doesn't really add much/any faff.

I'm thinking the same. Don't particularly like the sound of the wiper. Bit finger nails on blackboard.

I've got the wiper fitted to mine, no problem with squeaking.

I seem to be ok with static as well, not much difference If I use water or not, my routine is pretty much the same as previous posts, grind beans,

stir with chop stick, release beans level off and tamp. The only time I've had a spritz is when I forgot to stir.

I find If I Have to make adjustments I normally turn 2 notches.

I'm really liking this grinder.

Londinium I / Monolith Conical / Macap MC4 / Cormorant CR600 Roaster

I've been having a play at using the hg one for brewed today as I've run out of espresso type beans. I was using my Kalita wave and an Ethiopian duromina from workshop. I had to open it up nearly 3/4 of a full turn from my previous espresso setting to get it to run through in the time I wanted. (In the end it went to 2.40 when I had been aiming for 2.30). This coffee has a light refreshing taste. Melon like with a bit of acidity toward the end. Looking at the grind compared to what I was using from my hausgrind the particle size appeared a bit more variable with some much larger chunks than from the hausgrind (which had been running through in 2.30). Was a bit surprised by that but the cup is where it counts and I found the hg one cup more balanced with the acidity toned down a little and the sweetness coming up. Anyway, just my observations and I've not the knowledge to explain it all!