Sign in to follow this  
Greenpotterer

new grinder at last

So here goes got an interview so the next step is to order a new grinder funds are still a little tight so going for the iberatal mc2

thanks for all the input and advice.

Might order a bottomless portafilter and milk jug at the same time

Gaz

don't try to stop me:D

Never too old to learn, often too old to remember

Sage Dual Boiler, Bratatz Sette 270,Fracino Cherub FOR SALE, Macap M5 grinder FOR SALE, Hario drip, kettle, Hario hand grinder, Chemex , replaced again, broke yet again :( , Aeropress, french press, Motta jug,flat and convex tamper, Hario Syphon

SKINT BUT HAPPY

A grinder has always seemed to me like the thing that needs the most money invested in. No amount of decent tamping,water pressure etc. is going to make a crap grind extract well.

Now, I just need to get myself a domestic machine and grinder.... :p

Good luck with the interview. Onwards and upwards. Remember, everything happens for a reason.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

Good luck dude!....MC2 is a great bit of kit!

Matt :)

Delonghi ESAM4200S, La Pavoni, Dualit Burr grinder, Espro Toroid, S/S Convex Tamper, Revol/Bodum/Oslo cups :coffee:

Good luck with the interview. Onwards and upwards. Remember, everything happens for a reason.

Thanks sandy its a job I've done before so here hoping.

Looking forward to getting the grinder some decent beans next

Gaz

Sage Dual Boiler, Bratatz Sette 270,Fracino Cherub FOR SALE, Macap M5 grinder FOR SALE, Hario drip, kettle, Hario hand grinder, Chemex , replaced again, broke yet again :( , Aeropress, french press, Motta jug,flat and convex tamper, Hario Syphon

SKINT BUT HAPPY

Good luck Gaz.

Fingers crossed for your interview, and a safe delivery of the grinder.

Did you go for the doserless version?

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Good luck Gaz.

Fingers crossed for your interview, and a safe delivery of the grinder.

Did you go for the doserless version?

Went for the auto hope i went for the right choice

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

Yes, the auto is correct, so you have freshly ground coffee from the chute.

If you've done your research, think about scenarios in your job and how you would approach them, recollecting past successful experiences, and lessons learned, plus a positive can-do attitude, then you should have no problem.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

Yes, the auto is correct, so you have freshly ground coffee from the chute.

If you've done your research, think about scenarios in your job and how you would approach them, recollecting past successful experiences, and lessons learned, plus a positive can-do attitude, then you should have no problem.

Thanks, already had one interview last week which helped get some practice in. On a lighter note I need to choose some beans now is it worth getting some from say costa, I know your answer sandy, to dial the grinder in before splashing out on Hasbeans more expensive ones

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

Actually, I would not waste my Costa beans on dialling, I would use some cr*ppy supermarket beans instead and then just tweak here and there with some more expensive beans. I know each bean is different but that's how I would approach it.

I visited Costa (of course) this weekend and saw the beans are now sold in tins which are great for storage. Still have a bag to use yet though.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

Point taken sandy but I thought if I dailed it right I would still have a palatable drink lol

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

Grinder should be here tomorrow so off to Tesco for some beans in the morning

Btw they also have a Costa franchise in there lol

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

I have a bag of the most dire supermarket beans left over from dialing my grinder in, keeping it just in case I have another grinder ugrade moment. Foolishly tasted the resulting espresso, hmm the verbal tasting notes were along the lines of a deep underlying flavour of mud and the aroma of my Jack Russels bath water.

Don

ECM Barista, Mazzer Royal, Bialetti Brikka, Aeropress, Reverse osmosis water system, home made Vanilla Syrup, Espresso Gear Barista tamper.

I would stay away from buying any beans from any supermarket. Buy from either a local deli, local coffee shop or Costa etc. Try ordering online to get some really nice freshly roasted beans.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

I would stay away from buying any beans from any supermarket. Buy from either a local deli, local coffee shop or Costa etc. Try ordering online to get some really nice freshly roasted beans.

just for dailing in ordered some beans from Hasbeans

Thanks Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

I had to put up with pre ground tesco java the past 2 days.....I think the first cup was nice then the coffee died within the hour as far as taste goes.....but hey! that's what £1.99 gets you lol....I've run out of cash till my refund comes through :(

Matt :)

Delonghi ESAM4200S, La Pavoni, Dualit Burr grinder, Espro Toroid, S/S Convex Tamper, Revol/Bodum/Oslo cups :coffee:

It oesn't work

I'll start at the beginning bear with me.

Well grinder arrived very promptly this morning unpacked it looks great, smaller than I thought, then had to go shopping , thats a different story

Things took a turn for the worse on my return however, following Glenns instuctions (very clear) unwound the setting as course as possible.

Then wound it in a full revolution at a time doing a grind each time, like bird seed first few times.

wound it in several more time trying each revolution

Then the last time I tried sounds like somethings fast, motors buzzing only run for a very short time, but burrs not turning.

Tried to unwind it but knob turns but burrs dont move at all

HELP

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

Sounds like a bean stuck in the wrong place. Adjust the timer (turn clockwise). Remove hopper then tip upside down and tap the base a few times.

Try grinding again.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

my first thought glenn done that still no joy will give them a call in the morning

fresh beans still no coffee

SKINT BUT HAPPY

I had a similar experience. After freeing the burrs they always seemed to "catch" and when I wound them in to get the fineness for espresso they would lock up again. Mine had to be replaced. I hope you have better luck.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

the fineness knob turns freely but the burrs don't turn it just doesn't feel right its as if somethings stripped like a gear or thread.

Gaz

will give Happy Donkey a call in the morning like you said it cant be the first time its happened can it?

SKINT BUT HAPPY

I rang Happy Donkey this morning took a while to answer but got the impression they were working alone so fair enough.

Explained the problem they encourage me to take the lid off the plastic gear on the outer burr had stripped where the worm gear was so that was why it wouldn't turn. They said that they would replace the outer burr just charging postage fair enough my cock up me thinks too heavy handed maybe.

However turned the burr by hand to coarsen grind put everything back together.

I had a similar experience. After freeing the burrs they always seemed to "catch" and when I wound them in to get the fineness for espresso they would lock up again. Mine had to be replaced. I hope you have better luck.

starting up empty made a right racket with a loud clicking sound a la BanishInstant and when I put a small amount of beans in burrs stopped and motor keeps running.

Feel another phone call coming on before I send the bits back

I've now got 2 bags of Happy Donkey beans,a bag of costa thanks to my daughter, and just arrived two bags of HasBeans finest Can you grind beans with a mortar and pestle

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

One thing, you should never zero in a grinder when it isn't running. Always gradually adjust it whilst the motor is running, that way you'll hear when the burrs contact and then you can back off.

Izzo Alex Mk2 Dual Water, Compak K10 Conical, Gene Cafe, Cona Model D, Motta Jug and not enough cravendale...

One thing, you should never zero in a grinder when it isn't running. Always gradually adjust it whilst the motor is running, that way you'll hear when the burrs contact and then you can back off.

That makes sense which is more than can be said for me

Gaz

SKINT BUT HAPPY

It sounds like the wheel from the motor has stripped the large plastic wheel which drives the burrs.