Many thanks to everybody who has replied! It seems it wasn't such a daft question after all. I'll have a go with blue and Jersey and see what my wife thinks.(She's the one who drinks cappuccinos and lattes.)

I need to keep her onside to justify new (proper) machine.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

Since starting this thread I've tried filtered semi-skimmed but wasn't particularly impressed. Since the concensus seems to be for 'normal' fat milk I'll give blue a go next and report back. I'll also see if I can source some better semi-skimmed from one of the local farms.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione v2, Eureka Zenith 65E, Niche grinder, Pharos grinder with VoodooDaddy mods, Eureka MDL, Torr Goldfinger, Smart Tamp. Various coffee stuff.

I believe, although I might be wrong, that Jersey supermarket milk is full fat. As Jersey cows produce creamier milk anyway, you may find this overwhelms your coffee (which is why we use semi skimmed Jersey).

I think Monmouth is the only place using full fat Ivy House milk, but they roast darker, which cuts through more.

JP

La Marzocco FB80

EK43

http://www.specialtycoffeehome.com

I prefer the full fat for my flat whites, but the wife says its to much so we have stick with the semi skimmed, which sucks!

Twitter @Froggystyle

I just fire in a bit of double cream myself.

Seriously though full fat or nothing. Life isn't lengthened by drinking skimmed - it just feels longer.

Sage Dual Boiler/ EK43 /Technivorm Moccamaster/Feldgrind / Aeropress / Clever Dripper /Bodum & Le Creuset Cafétières

I know I am very late to this party, but I use soya milk quite regularly and it texurises so easily and gives a lush, rich, shiny, silky finish. It has a slightly coconutty taste, but it is not overbearing and it is not detrimental to the finished drink. Ideal for people who cannot drink cows milk.

MALC

GAGGIA CLASSIC WITH OPV MOD & SILVIA STEAM WAND. EUREKA MIGNON GRINDER (GLOSS BLACK)

GAGGIA NAKED PORTAFILTER (WITH DOUBLE & TRIPLE BASKETS). VST 15g, 18g BASKETS

ESPRO 58MM CALIBRATED TAMPER. ESPRO TOROID 12oz PITCHER....

I know I am very late to this party, but I use soya milk quite regularly and it texurises so easily and gives a lush, rich, shiny, silky finish. It has a slightly coconutty taste, but it is not overbearing and it is not detrimental to the finished drink. Ideal for people who cannot drink cows milk.

That's interesting might try it. I actually just tried full fat Cravendale but found the 2% milk better, true I am shite at texturing anyway but go results easier with the 2%.....I'm weird I know:)

Isomac Alba

Elektra Grinder

Flat Whites only baby.

See, I've always been lead to think semi skimmed was the best for cappuccinos and frothing in general now I'm hearing full fat. I dont much care for milk per se and just the thought of drinking a glass of it makes me grimace yet I like my milky coffee's.

I will have to try full fat now.

To be honest we mainly use soya now, but we also use semi skimmed. You don't get that instant cream flavour that I suppose you would get with full fat, but if you savour it in you mouth for a few seconds and let your palette take in the liquid you do get that typical creamy flavour that is synonymous with full fat. If you texturise the milk right and get your microfoam lush, tight, rich and silky then you wouldn't necessarily need the full fat anyhow. Horses for courses though at the end of the day. Everyone has their own personal favourites.

MALC

GAGGIA CLASSIC WITH OPV MOD & SILVIA STEAM WAND. EUREKA MIGNON GRINDER (GLOSS BLACK)

GAGGIA NAKED PORTAFILTER (WITH DOUBLE & TRIPLE BASKETS). VST 15g, 18g BASKETS

ESPRO 58MM CALIBRATED TAMPER. ESPRO TOROID 12oz PITCHER....

I would get a pint of each, make a coffee with each and see which tastes best to your palette.

"full fat" milk is low in fat by the standards of other food groups. A bag of crisps for example is around 35% fat, where as full fat milk is under 4%. Read a bit more about what they do to reduce the fat and what they add to make it white and full fat starts to sound like the healthier option.

All that said, if you prefer the taste of semi skimmed then drink that. Most drink blue cap with coffee for the creamier taste.

I wouldn't read too much about milk in general if you're squeamish.

Or meat or food production of any kind.... tbh

Agree with the masses here try a couple and decide what you like. Personally I use full fat organic for steaming, I go with that for taste and for myself I rather not have processed foods. I was always told to use full fat when steaming but heard some people suing a 50:50 mix of low fat with whole to get the optium ratio for steaming to get perfect microfoam. Saying that I have found that consistent microfoam comes with a good machine and good technique.

Interesting to see that bit about 50% skimmed and 50% full. Presumably the result isn't the same as just using semi.

I don't know what they do to create semi skimmed as opposed to full fat?

I've got on reasonably well with all sorts, including filtered milk, which is handy as it keeps so long, BUT I did, six months ago, have a knock on the door and there stood a fella canvassing for a local dairy in mid Devon. They delivered weekly. We tried it for a few months but it absolutely refused to produce any foam. Regrettably we had to stop havining it and went back to the supermarket milk and Cravendale. I believe the owner said it wasn't homogenised and that others had had the same trouble using it with steamed coffee. We now use Co-op filtered, both semi and full fat...both are fine.

A recently acquired ECM Mechanika Profi Rotary Pump + an equally recent Eureka Olympus 75 which, apparently, has Titanium burrs...which I gather is a good thing :-)

Since starting this thread I've pretty much standardised on Tesco Pure filtered full fat. It also seems to work pretty well with the semi version. Might try 50/50 and see how that goes.

I prefer the full fat for my flat whites, but the wife says its to much so we have stick with the semi skimmed, which sucks!

Same in my house too.

I prefer full fat but find both that and Semi Ok to make micro foamed milk with. I love Jersey but can never get the texture right it just doesn't want to stretch at all. Maybe the user not the milk!

Always learning.

ECM Sychronika/ Compak E5, RB Tamper. Everpure Claris water filter

I normally use skimmed milk, but for culinary purposes I needed some full fat stuff, I tried that in coffee the other day. I could hardly taste anything of the coffee. It reminded me of the days when people thought that good coffee had cream in it. Possibly worse for me as it was the sudden change from 0% fat to 4% fat but that milk clearly does mask the taste just as it does with really spicy food.

I'm a full fat blue top guy. Semi skimmed feels sort of hollow, like there's something missing.

Which, of course, there is ;-)

Full fat is skimmed milk with fat added to make it to 4% fat, semi is skimmed milk with fat added to 2%. So (for mainstream commercial , may not be for small diaries) skimmed milk is less processed than full fat.

I have been using BOB by Arla (Cravendale). BOB stands for Best of Both and it is a skimmed milk that actually tastes like semi skimmed for the health conscious! It foams really well, or so I find!

Currently loving Duchy Organic Ayrshire full cream unhomogenised milk - textures really well and tastes delicious, better than most other whole milk I have tried

LM Linea Mini, Mythos