There are many variations on how to tamp and each person develops their own personal style to achieve

A basic tamping guide can be accessed on this link

There are a number of tamping methods;

Nutation is one method finding favour amongst some baristas, and involves 'wobbling' the tamper ever so slightly to seal the edges of the puck before compressing

Wikipedia entry for Nutation

Even distribution is an essential pre-requisite for a good tamp

Refer to the Distribution Wiki entry for further details

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

The distribution link doesnt work.

Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 | Eureka Zenith 65E | Reg Barber Tamper 58.35

To be fair it's 6 years old post :-), probably a bit has changed anyway

Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

I've got both. Both are fine. Convex are supposed to push the grounds outward for a better seal at the edge. In use, you get a more positive feedback from a flat tamper (with regards to pressure and angle or 'flatness'). Ideally try before you buy but if not both will do the job just as well really in my experience. If you ask me, getting one that is a good fit (eg 58.4 rather than 'roughly 58mm') is more important than base profile. Just my 2p worth - I'm not a coffee guru.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

A lot of theory has changed in the past few years yet the process is still largely the same.

The links point to a now retired website.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements