LeeWardle

Brewing Methods

thanks

Another poster with nothing to say, an unknown agenda must lurk in the background.

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

Maybe they're just the strong silent type.....or a spammer.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Maybe they're just the strong silent type.....or a spammer.

When I looked at the "new posts" this morning, this rubbish appeared in about 10 different threads, draw your own conclusions.

Check out posts by JimmyHurrell

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

They're very grateful anyway

I tried Siphon brewing for the first time the other dya and loved it. No much of a difference in the taste, but loved the ritual of brewing with siphon.

I always wondered why french press is also considered a method of brewing, it is mostly like an infusion, in general brewing will not let the water sit for that long, is this too ignorant of me :(? lol

There are two methods for brewing coffee: immersion (infusion - French press, cupping) & percolation (espresso & drip). Some brewers combine a bit of both, but are generally more in one camp than the other.

The time a brew takes, for either approach (there can be overlap) is most dependent on how long it takes to extract a desirable amount from a coffee & hit a good flavour. This will depend on grind size distribution, temperature profile & whether you are brewing with gravity, or under pressure, for example.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Oh I see, I get often confused because some days ago I've read someone complaining would not get a good espresso out of brewing using a dripper and then someone said good espressos are unlike to be obtained through a brewing method (???) so bananas now lol

Espresso is a pressurised percolation method, the very fine & compacted grinds would stall the flow if it was left to gravity. The fine grind allows a high strength extraction, but it needs some pressure to force percolation.

it would be very hard to get a well extracted drip brew at common espresso strength (~9%TDS, give or take) and pretty much impossible by immersion, maybe 6%TDS max? (Though this may dovetail with longer espresso shots in terms of strength, but is still not "espresso" brewed by pressurised percolation.)

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

It's the difference between beer and whisky. You can get exceptionally strong beer. But it's not whisky.

You can use French press and steamed milk to make a "cafe misto" but by the time you've bought a milk frothing thing, a decent grinder etc you still won't have something comparable to a coffee shop latte.

That said most people here seem to drink brewed coffee as well as espresso. It's a different drink though. Equally yummy if you like a long black or "with milk" drink.

Did someone say coffee?

:Gaggia Classic--> Nuova Simonelli Oscar--> fracino Cherub:Mazzer SuperJolly:Hario V60+aeropress+french press:

You can make fp different strengths - it won't be he same ball park as epsresso " strength " . Excessive strength in brewed coffee can mask some of the more subtle flavours tho . Go to a cafe try some different brew methods and some neat espresso ...

Ultimately if you want strong - get some robusta blend and stick it in a mokka pot with a half decent grinder .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks. Some good reading there. I am now thinking of giving a Chemex filtration a try.

So many options to totally confuse us learning about this stuff.

Kinda wish there was some kind of course to teach us.

Some of the techniques presented were completely new to me, Great post!