Sign in to follow this  
ChiarasDad

The (or Yet Another) Idle Chitchat Thread

I woke up this morning with an urge for, not my regular espresso (MacBeans and Square mile in the house), not drip or cafetière from fresh beans (also in the house), but supermarket coffee. Various friends and family who know me well have expressed concern, felt my forehead for fever, etc. But I am greatly enjoying my disposable-filter cup of Rombouts #5.

Eurka Mignon grinder | Gaggia Classic | Rancilio wand | Auber Instruments PID | bottomless PF | VST baskets

Admetior digital spoon scale | OE dosing funnel | Reg Barber tamper (flat) | Bodum double-wall and Butlers.de cups

Latest beans: Londinium Decaf Costa Rican, Square Mile Tegu AA, Hands-On Lusty Glaze.

Definitely something wrong fella - check yourself in for rehab ;)

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

Oh dear :D

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

The Rombouts staff that I have met are very passionate about their coffee.

They occasionally pop by Coffee Forums and and sure will be delighted to see your endorsement.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I seem rely on costa beans as my neutral before selecting a new bean.....its just nice...lol

Matt :)

Delonghi ESAM4200S, La Pavoni, Dualit Burr grinder, Espro Toroid, S/S Convex Tamper, Revol/Bodum/Oslo cups :coffee:

The rise of the Costa Club - resistance is futile ;)

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

Don't knock it until you tried it!! I keep returning to Costa beans - they are really nice. Honest.

Fracino Cherub, Malhkonig Vario, Espro calibrated 58mm tamper, Espro jug, ACF cups and Costa lover.

Twitter @MrsSKRobinson

The post didn't come yesterday and I'm all out of espresso! Well, that's not quite true: I could make a shot from the Tanzania 'Footprint' peaberry that I've been using for my wife's cafetière, but IMO these beans don't have the kind of flavour profile I'd enjoy as a single-origin espresso.

As moka pot, though . . .

So instead of espresso, this morning I'm enjoying a rich, very dark, thoroughly evil (in a good way) moka pot brew, with a half teaspoon of Demerara sugar to sweeten it just a bit. Delicious. Haven't done a moka pot in quite some time.

I'll bet this coffee would make an exceptional Turkish too. I hope I can hunt down my ibrik while I still have some of it left.

Eurka Mignon grinder | Gaggia Classic | Rancilio wand | Auber Instruments PID | bottomless PF | VST baskets

Admetior digital spoon scale | OE dosing funnel | Reg Barber tamper (flat) | Bodum double-wall and Butlers.de cups

Latest beans: Londinium Decaf Costa Rican, Square Mile Tegu AA, Hands-On Lusty Glaze.

Did you see the SCAE Cezve Ibrik competition? T'was truly mad. What a great event, loads of crowd participation, flair and passion for this drink type.

I had the pleasure of meeting the current Ibrik World Champion at her cafe just prior to Caffe Culture a few weeks ago. A lovely lady, and really knows her Turkish coffee.

Unfortunately I completely missed the ibrik event. I was only at SCAE on Friday, and I think it was the day before, wasn't it? I regret missing it, as I have never seen it brewed by someone skilled and I would love to have someone to learn from. (The Turkish I had at the Mambocino booth was not too dissimilar to what I make, so I think I'm 'in the ballpark' but theirs was machine-made and I'd still like to watch it done properly.)

Edited by ChiarasDad

Ah, you went to the right place. Aysin runs Mambocino in Twickenham, and won the event

Yesterday I got over to my storage locker and found one of my ibriks -- not the nicest one, but fit for purpose. This morning I confirmed for myself what I'd often read, that my Zassenhaus can indeed grind Turkish-fine, and had a very nice coffee.

One thing I hadn't taken into account was that the dosage I've used in the past was for pre-ground Turkish -- well-sealed until use, but pretty firmly packed down in the bag. The difference between measuring sifted flour and packed flour. So by using the same volume of my nice fluffy freshly-ground beans I wound up with a weaker than expected cup. Will adjust suitably next time. But still: tasty!