davetucker

Lever Machine Comparison

When I was researching buying a lever machine I started this spreadsheet based on the info I found on the web.

I'd be interested in getting some feedback from you lever aficionados to make this a little more accurate.

My thoughts are, this could be an interesting resource for somebody looking to buy a lever machine ;)

La Pavoni Europiccola, Eureka Mignon

Aeropress, Chemex CM-6A, Kalita Wave #155, Bodum French Press, Homeloo Kettle, Hario Slim

Hi Dave

really useful comparison - one observation on the price of the londinium I - I think the price is £1950 with the VAT added. (George Osbourne always has to have his cut!!) unfortunately pushes the price up significantly against some of the other options but from what I've read and heard it's a great machine.

The heating time for the L1 is much lower than you have stated. It can heat in as little as 3 minutes from cold for a shot if you flush first.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Updated price and heating time for L1 on the spreadsheet as per comments.

Aeropress, Chemex CM-6A, Kalita Wave #155, Bodum French Press, Homeloo Kettle, Hario Slim

Stickied for a while

For the L1 I think it's 3 mins boiler heat time, flush (to kickstart the themosyphon) then 12 mins for the group to come up to temp, so 15 mins?

I may be wrong though, I turn it on and go back to bed for a bit then have a shower. ~45 mins from switch on its ready to go (no flush).

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Having owned 3 Londiniums, I have never had one go from a cold start to being ready in 3 minutes! It is fast but I would say from zero to temp is about 7 minutes, then you have to pull a good litre of water through the group then let the boiler recover again. Reiss states on his website, 12 minutes.The L1 price is £1625 plus vat.

there is also a new lever machine coming from BB called the Veloce. Info can be found on other threads and I believe the test machine will be with CC this week, priced at £1650 including vat

Zero to go in three minutes is entirely possible - cock the lever and let about half a litre pour through into a jug. Good idea to have a thermocouple attached to the group to check you haven't overheated it:)

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

That's how it was measured Patrick :)

At a pinch, 3 mins

Normal time 10-12 mins

Still one of the quickest heatups in the laver market whichever way you look at it.

Glenn, this is lifted from Reiss's blog - he gives 9 minutes

http://londiniumespresso.com/blog/londinium-i-ready-to-go-in-less-than-9-minutes

What I am referring to above is: switch on the machine from cold. As soon as pressure is up to 1.2bar, run half a litre through the group to warm it up to temp. Recall Reiss mentioning this somewhere on his blog as an emergency heat up method.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I've seen a lot of discussion on another forum about the Izzo Alex Leva lever machine. Is that available here to be added to the spreadsheet?

DB

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

Strega is 7 mins for steam delivery and I'd say a further 5 (so 12 total) for being ready for a shot (in reality I generally give it some margin and do 15 mins from turning the power on to pulling a shot)

Stickied for a while

Thanks Glenn, if anybody wants edit permissions to help maintain this PM me your email address

there is also a new lever machine coming from BB called the Veloce. Info can be found on other threads and I believe the test machine will be with CC this week, priced at £1650 including vat

I've seen other threads about this but nothing concrete as yet. As soon as information is available I'll add it to the spreadsheet.

Glenn, this is lifted from Reiss's blog - he gives 9 minutes

http://londiniumespresso.com/blog/londinium-i-ready-to-go-in-less-than-9-minutes

What I am referring to above is: switch on the machine from cold. As soon as pressure is up to 1.2bar, run half a litre through the group to warm it up to temp. Recall Reiss mentioning this somewhere on his blog as an emergency heat up method.

Shall we say 9 mins then?

I've seen a lot of discussion on another forum about the Izzo Alex Leva lever machine. Is that available here to be added to the spreadsheet?

I've googled, but can't find a UK retailer. If anybody knows of one I think we could add this to the sheet too.

Strega is 7 mins for steam delivery and I'd say a further 5 (so 12 total) for being ready for a shot (in reality I generally give it some margin and do 15 mins from turning the power on to pulling a shot)

Thanks! Added.

Izzo is called the Pompeii and bb used to sell it. 2 group is popular with trailer owners

9 minutes is a happy medium

small fix - the Achille (at least my Achille) has a site glass.

added: And the boiler pressure can get to at least 1.5 bar (though mine is not set that high)

small fix - the Achille (at least my Achille) has a site glass.

added: And the boiler pressure can get to at least 1.5 bar (though mine is not set that high)

Done

13 chars

I'm sorry - I meant the Quickmill Achille.

(With all the Greek heros out there, you would have thought they wouldn't have picked the same one that Gaggia did!)

d

I'm sorry - I meant the Quickmill Achille.

(With all the Greek heros out there, you would have thought they wouldn't have picked the same one that Gaggia did!)

d

I think it's named after Achille Gaggia ;) Achilles is the hero greek mythos, although some may argue that Mr. Gaggia is a hero too.

So the L1 without group heater is ready quicker than the Strega which does have one?

La Marzocco Linea Mini, HG One and a Bezzera Strega (for sale!)

confusion me thinks. The L1 time, is the time it takes for the boiler to come to pressure, not the time the machine is ready to use. Once the boiler is at pressure, the group has to heat through so you either leave it which takes around 45 minutes or so or pull water through to force it up.

The Strega probably has a smaller element but once at pressure, there is a cartridge in the group which heats the group up, meaning the time from cold to ready is far shorter. The Sage DB also does this

Why there is no comparison about the Olympia cremina or Strietman ES3?

even though the cremina is more expensive, having owned and used one, it is not in the same league as an L1 (they are nice little machines though)

AKA Toffee chips