Milanski

Hand grinders, the top 5?

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Any difference in grind?

Slim, Skerton & Clear have the same burrs, the Clear & Skerton seem to adjust in bigger increments than the Slim. The inner burr is better supported in the Slim.

Edited by MWJB

Any good for pour over then?

Looking for a hand grinder for the office and quite like the look of this one!

Twitter @Froggystyle

Yeah, the Slim works well enough for pourover & non inverted Aeropress around a turn out? A couple of clicks tighter for smaller French press. I use a finer grind in Clever & Aeropress steeps, so that's when I use the Porlex for.

Sorry i meant the one i posted a link too, i like the look of it and wouldn't mind it for the office, but if its no good for pour over then i wont bother.

Twitter @Froggystyle

I'm sure it's fine for pourover, but are your desks/worktops glass smooth? If not, you won't get much benefit from the sucker thing, the grinds drawer has a habit of popping out during grinding if you're at all energetic. If you're grinding up to ~30g a go, I'd go for the Slim.

Edited by MWJB

There is lots of mention of vintage Zassenhauses - but what about a new one? - this looks pretty good for about £125 at whittard and cheaper elsewhere if you hunt:

303008-Guatemala-Coffee-Grinder-1.jpg

Rocket R58; Compak K10 Fresh

There is lots of mention of vintage Zassenhauses - but what about a new one? - this looks pretty good for about £125 at whittard and cheaper elsewhere if you hunt:

303008-Guatemala-Coffee-Grinder-1.jpg

That's really nice!

So this morning my Porlex died after a few months of abuse, the shaft and crank have worn each-other down so much it is virtually impossible to grind anything, so I'm not sure if I can give it my vote. I can pick another up from round the corner but as I was thinking of getting a new grinder anyway, as I'm moving from 'rents place to a flat (leaving the porlex there). That Zassenhaus is tempting, but so is placing an order for Hausgrind. Will have to use the Delonghi electric for a short while.

Has anyone had any experience with the newer handheld Zass grinders like the Lima, Panama, Quito and Heidelberg?

They can be found for about £60-£70 which seems fair (especially in the absence of the impossible to get Hausgrind!). Some posts on HB seem to suggest that they're basically the same thing as the Commandante and therefore to be avoided...

Has anyone had any experience with the newer handheld Zass grinders like the Lima, Panama, Quito and Heidelberg?

They can be found for about £60-£70 which seems fair (especially in the absence of the impossible to get Hausgrind!). Some posts on HB seem to suggest that they're basically the same thing as the Commandante and therefore to be avoided...

Anecdotally and if you have the time and patience to work your way through the Hand Grinder Jive thread over on HB then the newer versions of the Zassenhaus hand grinders are nowhere near as good as the old ones, mainly to do with the adjustment mechanism.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Thanks Charlie. I've worked through quite a bit of that monster thread, but I think the full 126 pages of jive might have to wait...

Done a bit more research on the Zass handheld grinders, quite a bit of variation it seems... Amazon prices shown for reference only.

Just to point out that my interest in these is to find out whether there is anything in the "mid range" between the hario/porlex and Hausgrind/Lido and more specifically how they work as travel grinders for brewed methods.

Caffetiera - wooden outer, forged steel burrs, stepless adjustment, does the name suggest it's focused on brewed? Not much other info - £64 on Amazon now

Lima - ceramic burrs, looks stepless, plastic carriage, doesn't look too stable - closeup shots of the grind jar show an even mix of dust and boulders... Yuk. £57 on Amazon now

Panama - forged steel burrs (quite small around 22mm), stepless adjustment, this looks more stable and similar to the Heidelberg, which however doesn't appear too reliable in the long run (kaffe-netz.de etc.) £69 on Amazon now.

Quito - looks to be very similar in construction and principle to a Commandante, though the burrs look different - stepped adjustment, steel burrs - (I presume machined?), decent looking shaft bearings. £65 on Amazon now.

So in the interest of greater understanding, and my curiosity of course, I've ordered a Quito which I will write a review of when I've had some time with it. Was going to order from Germany (€76 Inc. Delivery) but its an unknown quantity so I've defaulted to Amazon in case a return is required.

No doubt this will be on the for sale forum when (or if) my hausgrind arrives!

Edited by Plevis

The quito does look rather cute, doesn't look like it can hold much. 20g?

Here's the amazon german... http://www.amazon.de/Zassenhaus-41095-Kaffee-Espressom%C3%BChle-Edelstahl/product-reviews/B00BJPD4NA/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

From what I can tell, in general terms the grinding mechanisms on the new zassenhaus are good, but significant QC issues on other parts. If the quito is good it would be a good replacement for the prolex mini. Most likely I'm going to pretty much switching completely to the clever dripper so coarse grind maybe less of an issue. Would like to be able to grind for turkish occasionally, though.

Not one mention for Rhinowares hand grinder? Considering the purchase of one along with an Aeropress until I land my first HX or DB machine.

It's either that, a Hario Skerton (almost half the cost of Rhinowares) or a Porlex as that gets mentioned quite a bit around the £30 price point.

Thoughts/recommendations please?

Not one mention for Rhinowares hand grinder? Considering the purchase of one along with an Aeropress until I land my first HX or DB machine.

It's either that, a Hario Skerton (almost half the cost of Rhinowares) or a Porlex as that gets mentioned quite a bit around the £30 price point.

Thoughts/recommendations please?

There is a rhino thread somewhere. I think it's thought to be a bit better than porlex/hario.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Yes, I did read through the whole of Glen's Rhinowares thread, thanks.

Was surprised that it had no mention here. Although that might be because it hadn't hit the market until after this thread last had a reply?

I've had a few of these now...some thoughts:-

Porlex - portable, great size, easy to use, burr wobble an issue the coarser you go, will just about do espresso (just about).

Rhino - basically a really good porlex (would be my choice under £90).

Lido 1 - great portable (just about) grinder. Quality grind, does both espresso and brewed really well. I love the "knocked up in a tool-shed" feel of it. Great.

Lido 2 - again, just an evolution of the Lido 1. Much heavier, it's a solid bit of kit, really well put together. Not as portable as the Lido 1 in my opinion. Great grind quality. I don't like the stock handle as much as on the Lido 1.

Pharos - amazing grind quality, heavy and unwieldy design, a pain in the butt to get the grinds out. However, grind quality i'd put it up against any electric espresso grinder up to £500 (maybe more).

Rosco Mini - still waiting for mine to turn up from Oz, but it promises a lot. Its a lot of money, grind quality should be approx equal to Lidos and Hausgrind I should think.

I've tried all the Hario ones, and I didn't like any of them (build quality/wobble etc.)

The Hausgrind and Feldgrind look really nice. I'd probably take a Feldgrind at £90 cos they are nice and portable.

If I was buying hand grinders again:-

£35 - Rhino

£90 - Feldgrind (probably - jury is out)

£140 - Hausgrind/Lido 2

£250 - Rosco Mini

p.s. if you can find a cheap second hand Lido 1, i'd personally jump all over it

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

Appreciate your very detailed reply. Looks like it will be a Rhino hand grinder for me. Wanted to be sure before spending more on a hand grinder than for the Aeropress, itself.

Thanks.

Yep, rhino is a good grinder for the money :good:

Will do a better job at brewed than a porlex imo

Andy

Wilfa CGWS-130B | Acaia Lunar | Bonavita 1.0L | Kruve | Aeropress | Kaffeologie S

I don't know the Rosco but from what I know of the others I'd agree with the above.

If someone was looking for a hand grinder for an Aeropress I'd recommend the rhino over the porlex (which I love)

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

The Rosco was an indulgence really..I doubt it will offer much above a Lido/Hausgrind

I just love shiny expensive stuff, and it's just very very bling! :time-out:

Andy

Wanted to be sure before spending more on a hand grinder than for the Aeropress, itself.

Don't underestimate the difference a decent grinder makes. IMHO spend as much as you can afford on the grinder. Your coffee is only as good as the weakest link - the best your going to make out of your set up is what a £30 grinder will produce

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

The Rosco was an indulgence really..I doubt it will offer much above a Lido/Hausgrind

I just love shiny expensive stuff, and it's just very very bling! :time-out:

I got on far better with the Rosco mini than the Pharos. Perhaps the Pharos wasn't aligned properly, who knows, but it's not really possible to screw up the Rosco's alignment. My Rosco is no longer shiny, it's tarnished through lots and lots of use! Sweaty hands, probably. The only thing is that it's quite hard work with a light roast bean.