NeilR

Muppetry

6 minutes ago, pgarrish said:

Note to self - CHECK THE POST DATE!!!!

I'm a bit far away from you now (Preston).... but if you find yourself this way again, feel free to say hi :)

well, we're still in muppetry thread here - that makes it perfectly alright!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

Deep Thought says 'tight wiggles' is the answer. @Scotford

Posted (edited)

Had an almost-muppet-moment just seconds ago... heart rate still sky-high!

Luckily I got my act together before loading beans I'd just weighed into LaPavoni boiler instead down the grinder hopper 😜

Edited by Hasi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

says Hasi.

'This Sunday I will be out in the road saying - "Hasi says your impeading me from pursuing my recreational motivations while you wank off over the finer details of some aloof brainfork" :whistle: ' @jimbojohn55

It’s been a while since I last had a muppetry moment, but today I have had two!
This morning I ended up steaming my espresso rather than the milk.
And just a moment ago I weighed out my usual 17.2 grams in my dosing container ready to grind. Turned to grab the milk from the fridge and when I turned back they had vanished.
I started to question whether or not I had weighed them out in the first place.
So I shook my head, rolled my eyes and weighed out another 17.2 grams of beans.
Popped them into the grinder, put the lid on and left it to grind while I filled up the pitcher. Unusually my beans were taking quite a bit longer to grind than usual and when I looked over I seen that the coffee was at the brim of dosing funnel. It took a few seconds for me to realise where the disappearing beans had gone.
Luckily I have two portafilters so I just split the grounds in each and pulled myself two flat whites.
If anyone wants to know how many beans you can put in a monolith then I can confirm the answer is more than 34.4g.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Londinium R - KafaTek Monolith Conical - Versalab M3

Not an exact fit for this thread but still . . . . 

I was saying to Ian Serena was through to the next round last night. He replied, 'Serena? I thought she’d gone out early on.'

'No, that was Vesuvius.'

Took me a minute to understand why Ian was laughing 😆 

If we generated a word cloud for the forum I am pretty sure Niche, Minima, Vesuvius, taste, weigh, scales, how much, towel etc would be the big words!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

No points for guessing what happened here...

10bc6722b1335239a09fc3ab55814d0b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/07/2019 at 22:19, Sparkyx said:

It’s been a while since I last had a muppetry moment, but today I have had two!
This morning I ended up steaming my espresso rather than the milk.

Have you discovered a new drink? How did it taste?

Sage DTP | Santos #4

Have you discovered a new drink? How did it taste?

I can’t comment on that I’m afraid.
The shot was destined for the sink if it weren’t for the fact all but a drop was projected all over the countertop and floor.

I did exactly this today.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

Ian forgot to tamp 🙊 I didn’t tell you that though!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2019 L-R with hand turned Thuya burr handles and toggles / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical, MAX Flat on order  / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 12oz pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: Steampunk, North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Coffee Compass / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guineas / a dog / a very lovely husband 

15 hours ago, GrowlingDog said:
On 16/07/2019 at 08:20, Sparkyx said:

I did exactly this today.

What you got a Monolith already .. that is a quick upgrade path 😀

1 minute ago, Nicknak said:

What you got a Monolith already .. that is a quick upgrade path 😀

Not quite, but I managed to grind a dose of beans on my Niche with nothing to collect them in.

• Like 1

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.

On 16/07/2019 at 08:20, Sparkyx said:

As we are having the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11, i see a perfectly formed coffee crater there. 

@MildredM Do you have a little space man to one small step onto that?🚀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As we are having the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11, i see a perfectly formed coffee crater there. 
[mention=15256]MildredM[/mention] Do you have a little space man to one small step onto that?

As in 'One small step for little man. One giant leap for coffee grind.'?
  • Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler

today's nerd info, apparently it should have been "One small step for A man" 😎

Sage DTP | Santos #4

9 hours ago, pgarrish said:

today's nerd info, apparently it should have been "One small step for A man" 😎

Yep - Apparently...

He was sort of implying "a physically small step for me"....  but "giant leap, figuratively etc for mankind"
in various interviews he has intimated that he basically fluffed it......

albeit that he "fluffed it" it gives me goosebumps....

What I find incredible is the dead calm voices as they went through the final landing.... considering they were getting alarms and errors popping up all over the place, had about 10seconds of fuel left... and basically the knowledge that it was all going to sh!t rapidly.....

Collins at that point (and for several hours afterwards) basically thinking he'd be going home on his own.
And Armstrong and Aldrin thinking at best they'd be sitting helplessly on the moon watching him go!!!!

• Like 2

There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Manic Obsession"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expobar Brewtus DB, Mazzer SJ, Sowden, V60, Aeropress and all sorts

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently enjoying LSOL

Another goose bump - Is the photo of "every human that had ever existed (alive and dead) EXCEPT Collins"

ie the earth & Eagle... but Collins behind the camera!

• Like 1

Currently enjoying LSOL

14 hours ago, Drewster said:

Yep - Apparently...

He was sort of implying "a physically small step for me"....  but "giant leap, figuratively etc for mankind"
in various interviews he has intimated that he basically fluffed it......

albeit that he "fluffed it" it gives me goosebumps....

What I find incredible is the dead calm voices as they went through the final landing.... considering they were getting alarms and errors popping up all over the place, had about 10seconds of fuel left... and basically the knowledge that it was all going to sh!t rapidly.....

Collins at that point (and for several hours afterwards) basically thinking he'd be going home on his own.
And Armstrong and Aldrin thinking at best they'd be sitting helplessly on the moon watching him go!!!!

Yep, if you are going to fluff your speech, turning it into one of the most memorable phrases ever isn't a bad mistake to make :)

Regarding the calmness, that's common to test pilots and to many pilots.  If you ever hear the cockpit voice recorder from the tornado that crashed at blackpool, or there's one of an f16 that hits the deck, they talk as if they're discussing the shopping - the F16 one is especially freaky as he calmly narrates a fatal crash.  The tornado one is quite funny as the navigator realises the pilot has ejected and he's not noticed :)

• Like 1

Sage DTP | Santos #4

Nobody will care but a few weeks back on my first day of making espresso, I was so excited with all my new toys and that there was actually black stuff coming out of my machine, I'd made a big mess on the sideboard. Water and grinds everywhere. No idea what was going on, and not understanding the whole pacing of my tasters (I'd had about 6 sour to bitter double shots by now), I felt like I was on Ritalin, or coming up on some party pills, and was a little bit too hyper. 

The curious kid in me (I'm 43) thought it would be a great idea to lift the hopper off the grinder to have a look at the magic happening underneath, and me being the caffeine charged donut that I am, didn't even think of closing the chute. BANG, 250g of expensive Rwandan beanage all over the place. What a cock. To make it worse, I scooped them all up and put them back in (bearing in mind the fuckers were all wet from my earlier calamities now) and obviously what came next was a clogged Eureka Silenzio. I thought i'd fucked it. A few youtube vids later, i'd quickly had my first burr cleaning lesson and was all back on form within half hour or so. Still buzzing, but all under control. Quite a few lessons learned in my first session. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Pablo El Beano said:

Nobody will care but a few weeks back on my first day of making espresso, I was so excited with all my new toys and that there was actually black stuff coming out of my machine, I'd made a big mess on the sideboard. Water and grinds everywhere. No idea what was going on, and not understanding the whole pacing of my tasters (I'd had about 6 sour to bitter double shots by now), I felt like I was on Ritalin, or coming up on some party pills, and was a little bit too hyper. 

The curious kid in me (I'm 43) thought it would be a great idea to lift the hopper off the grinder to have a look at the magic happening underneath, and me being the caffeine charged donut that I am, didn't even think of closing the chute. BANG, 250g of expensive Rwandan beanage all over the place. What a cock. To make it worse, I scooped them all up and put them back in (bearing in mind the fuckers were all wet from my earlier calamities now) and obviously what came next was a clogged Eureka Silenzio. I thought i'd fucked it. A few youtube vids later, i'd quickly had my first burr cleaning lesson and was all back on form within half hour or so. Still buzzing, but all under control. Quite a few lessons learned in my first session. 

steep learning curve that :D

• Like 1

says Hasi.

5 minutes ago, Hasi said:

steep learning curve that :D

Clean As You Go is my motto now. Along with a 3 shots per hour limit, and awareness of what the hopper closing tab is for. 

Edited by Pablo El Beano

3 hours ago, Pablo El Beano said:

stuff 

Truly Muppetry at its finest!!

PS 3 shots per hour may still come back to bite you.... by lunchtime!! :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Currently enjoying LSOL

4 hours ago, Pablo El Beano said:

Hauntingly similar to the kind of thing I'd do 😂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pablo El Beano said:

Clean As You Go is my motto now. Along with a 3 shots per hour limit, and awareness of what the hopper closing tab is for. 

three shots an hour??? no wonder you were doing daft things. :D

• Like 1

Sage DTP | Santos #4

11 hours ago, Drewster said:

Truly Muppetry at its finest!!

PS 3 shots per hour may still come back to bite you.... by lunchtime!! 🙂

I'm definitely more regular lately.