NeilR

Muppetry

Drinking a shot, going shopping and not realising you have coffee on your nose!

Haha, can't say I've done that one, or maybe I have and didn't realise....

Rocket Giotto Evo, Gaggia Classic and modded SJ

Filled the Gaggia with water then upstairs to do some more work.

Just returned 30 minutes later, ground some beans and preheated the cup from some water from the kettle. Went to insert the portafilter and .............. realised I've haven't switched the machine on. Waiting .......:coffee:

Rocket Giotto Evo, Gaggia Classic and modded SJ

Didn't engage the portafilter correctly... Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't done it the day before too. New gasket

umyqa6y7.jpg

Edited by Dave.wilton
spelling

Expobar Brewtus IV | Mazzer Super Jolly

In the middle of dialling in new grinder I pulled a shot at 9.35 pm when the wemo switches the machine off at 9.30.......

I was confused why the shot was so quick ,,,,derppppppppp

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I forgot we had this thread! Ok so this was yesterday, running late for work, still trying to wake up, prep everything pull a nice double shot, kids come down, hugs n goodbyes, grab backpack and dash out... Later wife texts to say "you forgot to drink your coffee? "

Sage Dual Boiler, MAHLKÖNIG K30, Torr Brass with 58.4mm Trapezconvex base, Impress Coffee Brewer, Hario Mini Mill Slim

Didn't engage the portafilter correctly... Wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't done it the day before too. New gasket

umyqa6y7.jpg

Classic pic!

Looks like the expobar just beat the hell out of the pf and whilst lying in its own pool of coffee pointing with his steam arm saying "I suggest you stay down be-ach!"

Sage Dual Boiler, MAHLKÖNIG K30, Torr Brass with 58.4mm Trapezconvex base, Impress Coffee Brewer, Hario Mini Mill Slim

Classic pic!

Looks like the expobar just beat the hell out of the pf and whilst lying in its own pool of coffee pointing with his steam arm saying "I suggest you stay down be-ach!"

Where is the like button?! I think it's quite artistic the way the coffee has spread like fingers of blood

Expobar Brewtus IV | Mazzer Super Jolly

Classic :D

This happens more than I'd like to admit in our household. Invariably it is the result of a poorly cleaned / greasy gasket following the preceding shot. There's a special heart-stopping melody as the portafilter hits the cup, then the drip tray, then both cup and portafilter hit the edge of the counter and then the floor - which is tiled.... ~( 8^( |) DOH!

Espresso: Ceado E92 (modified for single dose); Vesuvius; VST baskets and refractometer.

Other: Aeropress, Sowden and Alessi Moka Pot; Mazzer Robur doser with Auber timer; Mazzer Mini E; Expobar Leva Dual Boiler

Where is the like button?! I think it's quite artistic the way the coffee has spread like fingers of blood

The "like this post" button is just underneath the post in the 2nd green bar that is underneath the other green (reply) bar and brown bar. Or to put it another way in the green bar directly above the next post.

:coffee:Marcus

Isomac Tea + Nuova Simonelli Mythos+ VST 18g + Torr Brass Goldfinger Tamper

[ Gaggia Coffee Deluxe + Gaggia MDF Grinder + Gaggia 'Gold' Classic + Motta Convexed Tamper ]

I had an entertaining time with my Aeropress this morning, which I appear to have forgotten how to use since the last time (a couple of months ago). Misreading the hasbean flowchart, I wet the filter paper, screw in the filter cap, then sit the wrong bit of the Aeropress on its end (filter cap resting on the worktop). Load it up with coffee, pour in the hot water. Bit of a dribble onto the worktop. Realising the error of my ways I decide to insert the plunger a little and do a flip. Coffee dribble becomes a mini flood. Execute flip and the entire contents of the Aeropress empties out onto my worktop and me. Doh!

Gutted. My little moleskin notebook which i left in my jeans pocket went in the washing machine. Had dozens of grind settings for beans from alot of roasters.

Yesterday the espresso from the EK43 tasted odd, lacking sweetness . flow didnt look as it should, and coffee felt high in the basket when tamping, amended the grind several times and even faffed about with preinfusion.

Then I noticed the 18g VST in the portafilter. Id been dosing 20g assuming it was the 20g'er !

Clown

@garydyke1

I'm not sure if this one counts as muppetry, but earlier on I was over at a friends, and he asked me to make a brew while he cleaned up the dog eggs from his yard, as he is a heathen he still drinks instant, so I boil the kettle to make a cup of tea for myself and mug of whole bean wholly crap instant for him, I poured the hot water into my cup and onto the teabag and then for some unknown reason proceeded to pour the contents of the kettle into his freshly opened can of Milicano lol.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Using some compressed air from a can to help clean out a grinder. Beans back in, lid on and grind.

BANG!

Lid goes bouncing off the ceiling, beans scattered around the kitchen. Very rapidly *even before the beans have stopped rattling off the kitchen walls* the power is off and the plug is out of the wall.

Never noticed that the propellant for the compressed air in a can was flammable before. Some spark from the motor ignited it and ka-blooey! Did clean the chute of the grinder remarkably well. Grinder still works fine and now lives with my parents. :D

Wow! Loved the description.

"compressed air" as sold by Maplins et al for cleaning computer keyboards etc is actually an amazing piece of Trades Descriptions Act dodging. The contents are not compressed air at all. In common with most aerosols, it is in fact Butane. No wonder you blew your grinder up. Lucky that was all!

My own piece of espresso-related muppetry (apart from still-n00b general lack of consistency on a daily basis) was when I made my latte this morning. Was eyeing up the extraction from my naked PF, and having tried nutating and a light tamp for the first time, got a channel in my puck that squirted me right in the eye! Then the PID cut my shot and the Classic did its usual end-of-shot pressure dump down the silver pipe, which then got me in the other eye! Cue blind groping for the kitchen roll with coffee tears. Luckily I don't wear a white shirt for work, but my Godfather tee-shirt got a bit of extra Italian seasoning today.

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Not me, but one of the guys I'm away with came back from the shop with a jar of decaf instant. He obviously thought he was joining the brew snobs.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

Decaf instant. :-| Well, that doesn't even have the benefit of waking you up! If I was on a caffeine avoidance mission and was away from my coffee gear I would be buying instant hot chocolate rather than that. And if I needed waking up; a tin of Coke (inferior colas are available, kids).

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

After about an hour of chuckles we finally stopped the ribbing.

'it's all about the microbubbubbles'

So i roast a batch of Indian Robusta to use in some of my blends over the coming weeks, use an old rave fudge blend bag, but also put a new label on it stating what it is.

Wife phones me yesterday and says the coffee she made today was rank, very bitter and strong.

Turns out she ignored the bags i had left out for her to use and gone in my cupboard and picked out the bag of 'rave fudge' as she likes that one!

Teach her to not read labels!!

Twitter @Froggystyle

I'm not sure if this one counts as muppetry, but earlier on I was over at a friends, and he asked me to make a brew while he cleaned up the dog eggs from his yard, as he is a heathen he still drinks instant, so I boil the kettle to make a cup of tea for myself and mug of whole bean wholly crap instant for him, I poured the hot water into my cup and onto the teabag and then for some unknown reason proceeded to pour the contents of the kettle into his freshly opened can of Milicano lol.

Reckon the scientific community might be interested in your mate's dogs...

Coffee enema anyone?

Rookie.... ;)

More like idiot ( me i mean ) ....was bound to happen at some time though...........

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc