NeilR

Muppetry

I am having a stressful day and just made myself an espresso forgetting to tamp the coffee. Tasted all right actually.

What muppet behaviour have you exhibited when making coffee?

Rocket Giotto Evo, Gaggia Classic and modded SJ

On the L1 you pull the cup when blonding occurs and let the rest run into the drip tray, as you cant stop the flow like on a pump.

So for me pulling the cup but leaving the scales under the flow to get a nice coating of coffee. they still work!

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Got some beans weighed out a 20g dose . took the container of the rest of the beans left over. Threw it into the grinder and ground them. Left me with 20g only. This was on Patrick's ek43,so it ripped through 200g in about 2 seconds. I just stood there looking confused at what I'd done..:)

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Got some beans weighed out a 20g dose . took the container of the rest of the beans left over. Threw it into the grinder and ground them. Left me with 20g only. This was on Patrick's ek43,so it ripped through 200g in about 2 seconds. I just stood there looking confused at what I'd done..:)

An impromtu coffee shot

@garydyke1

Made a Clever brew the other day, carelessly putting the brewer down on a "not quite flat surface"...big brown puddle!

I have long list of emabarrassing antics that essentially end up with the same old scenario - coffee & grinds all over me/the floor/the walls...luckily they're my little secret & no one else will ever know...m'wah ha ha ha...erm, oops!:o

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Too many to mention. Recently:

Pocket scales were dirty. Rinsed underneath the tap for a few seconds before I realised what I was doing. Pulled the batteries and dried it out with a hairdryer - seems to have survived.

Drop the hopper of my Vario onto a tile floor straight after unpacking it. That one didn't survive.

Did exactly the same thing with the plastic bottom of a Hario mill.

Too many to mention. Recently:

Pocket scales were dirty. Rinsed underneath the tap for a few seconds before I realised what I was doing. Pulled the batteries and dried it out with a hairdryer - seems to have survived.

I got a set of my scales totally soaked in coffee rinsed under tap like an idiot then put them infront of elec heater to dry out and try and save them!!! Left it there for 5 mins or so came back and it had melted into a banana shape!! But they were dry :o

Brewtus IV, MSJ, Torr 58.4 Convex, Hausgrind, V60-02, Aeropress, CCD, Bodum French press

Before I got my new tamper which fits a vst I was using a 58mm tamp. This used to leave a bit of coffee that remained as 'dust' on top of the puck. I used to blow this dust away before locking the pf and pulling the shot. This was my routine until I blew coffee directly into my eyes and stumbled around the kitchen blinking like and idiot for 5 minutes!

Taking the hopper off my Mignon without pushing the 'stopper' in resulting in a whole load of beans all over the floor. Has happened more than once.

Because I had not worked out how to fit the scales under the cup on the classic, I would tare the cup , pull the shot and then weigh it on the sideboard, however for three times in a row the temptation for trying the shot before I weighed it was too much and it I couldn't work out why my output weight was all over the place. DOH!

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Before I got my new tamper which fits a vst I was using a 58mm tamp. This used to leave a bit of coffee that remained as 'dust' on top of the puck. I used to blow this dust away before locking the pf and pulling the shot. This was my routine until I blew coffee directly into my eyes and stumbled around the kitchen blinking like and idiot for 5 minutes!

Yes, I've blown into the top of a grinder with similar results.

Because I had not worked out how to fit the scales under the cup on the classic, I would tare the cup , pull the shot and then weigh it on the sideboard, however for three times in a row the temptation for trying the shot before I weighed it was too much and it I couldn't work out why my output weight was all over the place. DOH!

Do you take the tray out?

Twitter @Froggystyle

Taking the hopper off my Mignon without pushing the 'stopper' in resulting in a whole load of beans all over the floor. Has happened more than once.

Only once so far... ;)

Gaggia Classic (Pre-Phillips) With Silvia Wand Mod

Eureka Mignon Grinder

I flushed the group to warm a cup, I put the cup to one side as I prepared the coffee. Weighed the dose, tared off the newly warmed cup locked in the portafilter and set it away, as normal I then poured milk into the milk jug and started to steam. Then freaked out as there was a ropey as hell looking espresso in the cup yet the pour seemed ok. Idiot here hadn't poured the water out of the cup after warming it.

Lots of brewing equipment</A>

The classic is grinding , prepping a shot , tare the scales.....ah the machine isnt on..... (this is less of an issue on the Sage but a killer on the Expo)

@garydyke1

Demonstrating the quick & easy clean up of an Aeropress at my mum's (loves coffee, hates coffee grounds/mess) house..."You just hold the press over the bin and the puck just drops out in one piece, just like this..." - POP!...and my coffee bazooka fires wet, black soot clean over the kitchen bin & into an open kitchen cupboard, liberally coating everything inside....

She was relatively calm, just rolled her eyes & grabbed the dustpan...I was a little irked at her lack of surprise that my cunning plan hadn't quite worked out, it was almost as if she had an instinct that I was going to screw up...can't imagine why...:confused:

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Demonstrating the quick & easy clean up of an Aeropress at my mum's (loves coffee, hates coffee grounds/mess) house..."You just hold the press over the bin and the puck just drops out in one piece, just like this..." - POP!...and my coffee bazooka fires wet, black soot clean over the kitchen bin & into an open kitchen cupboard, liberally coating everything inside....

She was relatively calm, just rolled her eyes & grabbed the dustpan...I was a little irked at her lack of surprise that my cunning plan hadn't quite worked out, it was almost as if she had an instinct that I was going to screw up...can't imagine why...:confused:

I dont think mothers ever trust their sons to do any kind of cleaning up properly...

I am having a stressful day and just made myself an espresso forgetting to tamp the coffee. Tasted all right actually.

What muppet behaviour have you exhibited when making coffee?

A lot of Spanish baristas (so I am told) grind straight into the pf and do not tamp. My favourite trick is to purge the K10 by pressing a button which dispenses coffee for 1/10th of a second, and of course not pressing the button but triggering the double grind by touching the pf against the trip switch.

The classic is grinding , prepping a shot , tare the scales.....ah the machine isnt on..... (this is less of an issue on the Sage but a killer on the Expo)

Happened to me last week when the clocks went forward.. Was gutted.

<a href="https://twitter.com/grahmart" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @grahmart</a>

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>

My own personal one is when I was wiping clean the top of the basket before inserting portafilter and caught the fresh puck I'd beautifully tamped with my finger and put a large crater in it. Had to empty back into doser and re-dose into basket.

<a href="https://twitter.com/grahmart" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @grahmart</a>

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+'://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js';fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document, 'script', 'twitter-wjs');</script>

A lot of Spanish baristas (so I am told) grind straight into the pf and do not tamp. My favourite trick is to purge the K10 by pressing a button which dispenses coffee for 1/10th of a second, and of course not pressing the button but triggering the double grind by touching the pf against the trip switch.

Yes, of course I was following the Spanish technique :exit:

Rocket Giotto Evo, Gaggia Classic and modded SJ

Was making a flat white on my classic. Shot pulled, milk steamed then hit the brew switch until the boiler refill and water comes from the group. Wait a minute, costa coloured coffee from the portafilter! Balls, I forgot to knock the puck out whilst the boiler was coming up to steam temp. It gets worse, I then knocked the brew switch off and pulled the portafilter out. Unfortunately I either did this with too much haste for the solenoid to dump or the higher pressure from the steam exploded coffee grounds out of the basket pebble dashing my machine and wall next too it! Oops.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Using some compressed air from a can to help clean out a grinder. Beans back in, lid on and grind.

BANG!

Lid goes bouncing off the ceiling, beans scattered around the kitchen. Very rapidly *even before the beans have stopped rattling off the kitchen walls* the power is off and the plug is out of the wall.

Never noticed that the propellant for the compressed air in a can was flammable before. Some spark from the motor ignited it and ka-blooey! Did clean the chute of the grinder remarkably well. Grinder still works fine and now lives with my parents. :D

If I stop drinking the coffee, I stop doing the standing and the walking and the words-into-sentences putting.

"Seriously, going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills

Using some compressed air from a can to help clean out a grinder. Beans back in, lid on and grind.

BANG!

Lid goes bouncing off the ceiling, beans scattered around the kitchen. Very rapidly *even before the beans have stopped rattling off the kitchen walls* the power is off and the plug is out of the wall.

Never noticed that the propellant for the compressed air in a can was flammable before. Some spark from the motor ignited it and ka-blooey! Did clean the chute of the grinder remarkably well. Grinder still works fine and now lives with my parents. :D

Now that is impressive. Exploding grinders.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Weighing my shot this morning.

Worked how how to balance two shot glasses on the scales using the lid with one glass on one side and one on the other .

tarred pulled the shot . Weighed the results ....hmmm I'm happy with that , looks good .... Now for a taste ...... Picked up one of the shot glasses to admire my handy work .....causing the remaining shot glass to apply the rightful laws of gravity and a predictable see saw effect resulting in coffee everywhere. DOH!

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop