Hi ive been looking at getting a coffee machine i did realise how hard it was to pick one and how much info there is about them

i did think it was easy and strait forward

i was thinking a bean to cup machine but unsure now weather to just get a espresso maker,

how much harder are they to use?

Allso want the best machine for under £500 low as possible really it will just be for home use a few cups a day

im really confused thats how ive ended up on this forum

hope you guys can help

Hello and welcome , have a look around the forum there is a lot to read and lot of help from other members , as for an espresso machine setup with a £500 budget a gaggia classic and a decent grinder seem to be unanimous decision from other members. And bought wisely they both have a good secondhand resale should you want to upgrade at a later date.

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Welcome to the forum. Can be confusing when you first start out. Forum is a great place to get your questions answered. First off, budget of £500 is more than enough to get you started. You will need a grinder as well as a machine. If you want to buy new - have a look at the Gaggia Classic and Eureka Mignon grinder. You will also need some jewellers scales (cheap on ebay), a tamper (have a look at Made by Knock), and a milk frothing jug (Cream Supplies or Amazon). If you are prepared to consider used - for sales section of this forum is a great place to pick up well looked after kit. You will save money and if you decide at some point to upgrade, won't lose much if any money.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

WHat do you drink? Espresso? Milky stuff?

Without knowing what you drink, it's impossible to say.

It also depends on whether you want to put in the time and effort to learn about coffee or whether you want a simple machine which makes your drinks for you without much user input.

Chris - Twitter - Website

Modded Gaggia Classic, Mazzer Super Jolly and a kitchen full of other coffee related equipment

Thanks for the replies

i want to try all different types of coffee espresso, latte

how hard is it to learn? I would like to learn

the gaggie classic looks good and is cheap aswell... so is it hard to make coffee manually

that grinder is £320 didt think grinder would be more expensive than the maker

Hi Iron,

Remember the computer maxim "rubbish in->rubbish out"? Well this applies to coffee even more than computers. A great machine with badly ground coffee will produce worse coffee than a cheap machine fed with properly ground beans. The Mignon is actually a pretty cheap grinder believe it or not. Some of the hardened coffee geeks (sorry guys) on the forum have grinders well into 4 figures. If you want a cheaper grinder the Iberital MC2 is worth a look as an alternative.

Brewtus Dual Boiler, La Pav Pro, Mazzer SJ

Completely agree with Dr Steve - buy the best grinder you can afford. Lots of people start off with a good hand grinder like the Hario Slim which works a treat. The MC2 is the cheapest electric grinder you'll get that's capable of grinding for espresso.

Beans are critical as well - high quality freshly roasted and rested is key. The machine is the least important bit of the whole operation.

As for how hard it is to learn, it's really a question of keep trying. I had some spectacular failures at the beginning but I can make some pretty good coffee these days (if I do say so myself). There's loads of good advice on these forums and a wealth of knowledge and I'd encourage you to go for it. A bean to cup machine might provide some mediocre (at best) coffee for a while but you'll probably want more control pretty quickly.

Modded Gaggia Classic, Mazzer Super Jolly and a kitchen full of other coffee related equipment

Thanks for the replies

i want to try all different types of coffee espresso, latte

how hard is it to learn? I would like to learn

the gaggie classic looks good and is cheap aswell... so is it hard to make coffee manually

that grinder is £320 didt think grinder would be more expensive than the maker

Eureka Mignon is being offered by a forum sponsor - Coffeebean for £265.00 delivered. A good grinder at a great price.

Thanks again for the help:D

So the hario slim is cheap will that work well or do i need a better grinder?

Going to go with the gaiggie classic like the look of it... Just need a grinder

allso whats the best rated beans out there... Can u buy pre ground coffee or is that a bad idear?

cant find coffee bean on google any1 got any links

i dont feel as confused now thanks

Wouldn't want to manually grind for espresso on regular basis. Also, quality of grind isn't going to be on a par with a dedicated espresso grinder. Grab a Mignon - you won't regret it. Steer well clear of pre-ground. Difference between freshly roasted ground beans and packet pre-ground is like night and day. Check out the roaster who advertise on this forum - http://coffeeforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?11-Beans

Recommend you try different roasters - they are geared to mail order so no worries there.

Please don't use pre ground , especially from a supermarket

You will get frustrated and downhearted and struggle to make the drinks you aspire too.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Agree with the others - If you've got the budget, get a Mignon. The cheaper MC2 is a decent place to start with electric grinders and I wouldn't be without mine.

Same with pre-ground. No good espresso ever came from pre-ground coffee.

For beans, I regularly buy from Hasbean, Union Roasters, Rave Coffee and Londinium Espresso all of which roast fresh and give you the date on which the beans were roasted. Never trust a for which you don't know the roasting date.

The forum also has an excellent list of links for UK based roasters here

Is that grinder really worth it? Is there any cheaper ones that are as good?

what els will i need to make coffee

i wont be useing pre ground coffee then

im still drinking instant coffee atm not very nice

Is that grinder really worth it? Is there any cheaper ones that are as good?

what els will i need to make coffee

i wont be useing pre ground coffee then

im still drinking instant coffee atm not very nice

Yes that grinder (Mignon) is worth it! Second hand can get them a bit cheaper about £200. There arent any cheaper ones that are as good but there are cheaper ones is the MC2 but is really not that great ugly and noisey about £100 secondhand.

The grinder is more important than the espresso machine for getting great tasting coffee.

Milk jug, tamper, cleaning bits, cups, small scales and you are about there

Brewtus IV, MSJ, Torr 58.4 Convex, Hausgrind, V60-02, Aeropress, CCD, Bodum French press

i was thinking a bean to cup machine but unsure now weather to just get a espresso maker,

how much harder are they to use?

Just seen this in your original post. They are certainly harder to use and will take practice to get really good coffee just something to be aware of.

Brewtus IV, MSJ, Torr 58.4 Convex, Hausgrind, V60-02, Aeropress, CCD, Bodum French press

What kikapu said...

Yes, grinders are the most important bit. Expect to spend more on a grinder than a machine (at this end of the market).

Okay thanks guys been a great help well im gunna go for the gaggia classic with migon

whant great taseing coffee

didt relise it was so much involed in coffee makeing

but i will be able to learn how to use it like can it be that hard?

Okay thanks guys been a great help well im gunna go for the gaggia classic with migon

That is a great combination. Its not hard takes some practice is all but with that equipment you can make much better coffee than all the high street coffee chains

The sub forum for the gaggia has great guide about all you need to know for the classic

Thats good then

really looking forward to getting it now

what are the top5 rated beans i want the best?

what cleaning bits do i need?

what a tamper should i get?

Going to order 2 jugs a 600ml and 330ml

Excellent combo, that's what I started with and you can get some fantastic espresso out it :good:

Good choice! You'll get some great coffee from those! Don't forget I can do you a Mignon for £265 delivered (forum price)

Andy

https://thecoffeebean-vanandroaster.co.uk/

[email protected] 

Toper Cafemino - Fracino Contempo Dual - Fracino K3 - Piaggio Ape............fresh beans!:)

My my story might be useful to you, pre January I drank loads of instant and used a French press, had barely had > 5 espressos in my life.

since the I have bought a classic and using this forum started to work out how to make pretty decent coffee and milky drinks. Even crippled with a terrible blade grinder I've managed to have 3 months to learn and make some quite decent espressos and consistently nice milky drinks that are almost always better thanhighstreet drinks.

now my hausgrind has arrived I've made the first couple of good espressos with single origin beans.

so yes, there's lots to learn and you will benefit from some time spent reading up (here) but it's very possible and by no means impossible to be making great drinks in a matter of weeks.

plus without exception the folks here are great and it's the least keyboard warrior inhabited forum I've ever had the pleasure to encounter!

For the beans just go to Ravecoffee.co.UK read the bean descriptions and buy what you like the sound of you and I would buy a couple of 1kg bags as get free postage.

For the tamper you can just get a Motta one to start but Torrs are really lovely coffeechap on here sells them starting around £40.

You will need a group head brush and some cafiza oh and maybe a brush to clean the grinder. Look at coffeehit.co.UK should have these bits