Sign in to follow this  
thehungryartist

New Coffee Shop come Art Gallery A1 or A3 use?

Hi everyone

I am looking at a few sites to open up my first coffee shop come art gallery ( my wife is an artist) We intend to sell Coffee ( obviously!) Tea, Smoothies, Shakes, Panini's Toasties, Sandwiches, Cakes and treats. ( All top notch quality) However we are hoping to stay clear of bacon butties full breakfast's etc as although we appreciate they can be great earners we are not sure the smell will fit in with the model of Coffee shop with Art Gallery/Exhibitions/Classes etc.

We have seen a few other Coffee Shops that seem to get plenty of business with this model.

The trouble is the only good premises and locations we can find are with A1 retail use and cant seem to figure out if we could sit people inside without A3 class use? Some of the information out there seems to indicate it would be fine providing you don't need any extraction equipment?

I am also considering taking the premises on A1 and using the permitted development change of use bylaw ( May 2013) which allows temporary change of use for 2 years and applying for a change to A3 further down the line. If the change is rejected and I was not permitted to continue trading with A1 I would then exercise the 3 year break clause to end the tenancy! ( This is a worst case scenario of course)

Any thoughts from budding planning consultants or legal eagles out there would be gratefully received! :o

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use. We stick by them, existing members please familiarise yourselves with them.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

coffee-subscription-mini.png

Become a friend of CFUK
    Buy Us A Monthly Coffee (massive thank you!) 

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png

Coffee Forums Logo