Thecatlinux

Thanks for the forum

Only been here a few days, and boy have i read some useful stuff, there's lots of opinions advice and help for anyone who chooses to find it . I have had such a great time surfing all over the place and reading what all the members have to offer, sometimes I feel a bit rude, a bit like eavesdropping on some of you as you have a friendly bond, with a mix of competitiveness and maybe a little bit of envy but above all a comradery .

I am now considering my first home set up so reading all about the machinery is my first port of call.

Dependant on budget will also dictate what I plump for of course. I think the first investment will be on the grinder as dosing and grinding the beans seems to be an overall essential to getting great results at home. Would love to post a thread asking which grinder? But that might cause sensory overload this end. LOL

Anyway the point of this thread was just to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you keep posting your ten cents and I will keep reading it .

oh go then. Which Grinder?

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

How much $ you have :)

Glad your enjoying the forum too.

A well purchased grinder will serve you well , and can match the gaggia and the next machine up , if you ever choose to upgrade.

Coffeebean ( forum sponsor ) has some good deals on new grinders at the Moment worth dropping him a pm if you have a budger to work too. His website is below

http://www.thecoffeebean-vanandroaster.co.uk/Domestic-Coffee-Machines.html

Coffeechap has normally has some excellent reconditioned grinders too. Worth considering if your not tied to a new purchase

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I have a few large bills to pay at the moment so thats a tough one , enough to go stupid at BB but I wanted to be wise with my cash. I can get a gaggia classic for under £200 and I suppose if I budgeted £300 for the grinder I could keep it under £500 . Thought it would be wise to invest well on grinder and then get the dream machine later.

But if the grinder warranted it would spend more , thinking more of buying once rather than chopping about. Guess I am looking for the vw golf of grinder and not the Mercedes

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

I have a few large bills to pay at the moment so thats a tough one , enough to go stupid at BB but I wanted to be wise with my cash. I can get a gaggia classic for under £200 and I suppose if I budgeted £300 for the grinder I could keep it under £500 . Thought it would be wise to invest well on grinder and then get the dream machine later.

But if the grinder warranted it would spend more , thinking more of buying once rather than chopping about. Guess I am looking for the vw golf of grinder and not the Mercedes

I bought a gaggia classic in jam and following advice for the forums I bought a "used" one from amazon warehouse for £147. The used definition appears to relate to the containing cardboard box having a small tear as the machine was printing and has worked faultlessly ( had all cellophane still attached).

id recommend this approach for a classic and would leave you 350 for a grinder which gets you a lot second hand. I'd echo the suggestion to speak to coffeechap on these boards. He'd have some ex commercial grinders at that price that would last you ages and likely be in mint condition.

Good luck and welcome

Great opening post - we are a friendly bunch. I attended a meet at BB and we all got on really well - it's that sort of place.

a grinder a lever and some beans

Welcome to the forum thecatlinux. I've just read that Coffee Chap has a Mazzer SJ for £250

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Mazzer mini or compak k3 is on my hit list at the moment as I think it ticks most of my boxes . Read an awesome review against a compak http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/kb/reviews/mini-k3/ so informative about the two grinders would be happy with either , although I think the mazzer will be easier to use and maintain.

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

You can easily sort yourself out within that budget - I got a really good condition second hand pre philips Gaggia classic on ebay for £55 (got lucky with a local collection only listing) & then a grinder from Coffeechap.

When you add it all up including other bits like scales, Silvia wand, tamper etc its all came to about £250

I think it would be worth having a chat with Coffechap & see what he has within your budget as it'll knock the socks off what you could get new for the same money.

Hi & Welcome, and congrats on reading so much and absorbing it. You are quite right the grinder is the best to buy first, a lot of people find that out the hard way when trying to use a poor grinder with their £600 machine and wondering why the results suck :(

For your budget you could easily get a good second hand grinder (see coffeechap and the classifieds here) or one of the site sponsors is doing brand new Eureka Mignon's for £265 delivered. A second hand Gaggia Classic is a great tool to practice on and you can then upgrade to something big and shiny at a later date and sell the Gaggia on again.

A few points to consider, do budget for a nice metal tamper as the plastic ones are rubbish, no need to go mad on your first tamper but hold back £20 or so. If you get a new or warehouse Gaggia Classic it will probably come with a pressurised basket, this needs to eb swapped out for a standard one (it's designed for people with no / a poor grinder to force crema).

And finally, do buy fresh roasted coffee from one of the roasters in the beans subforum, much much better than Lavazza, illy or any supermarket offering I promise you!

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

Now baskets , thats whole can of worms i know nothing about, but seems to be a big talking point my post a thread :-)

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

No need to go mad on a basket at first go, just avoid the pressurised ones as they are complete @#~!

As you sat VST IMS etc is a whole other discussion ;)

Whoa there slow down got to get to grips with pressurised and non yet,let alone vst etc plus sent you friend request as you use the window too

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

if you buy a new Classic, it will come with a pressurised portafilter basket which is designed to produce a lot of crema (froth) on your espresso when using a coarser grind. To generate the pressure required, the Classic's brew head pressure delivery is optimised for pressurised basket use and is around 15bar which is too high for optimum espresso extraction when using a conventional non-pressurised basket. Pressure for that is optimised around 9bar. It's a simple DIY job to adjust the pressure down but it requires a portafilter with a manometer pressure gauge fitted to it. You can find more on this if you search the forum for OPV (over pressure valve) adjustment.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Thanks for that real shortcut for me , just need to find some unpressurized baskets as I have a feeling classic will be on the way soon , I keep watching amazon warehouse at the mo as want to see if the price drops again, everyone loves a bargain.

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop

Classic unpressurised baskets are a stock size and cheap too.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Thanks for that real shortcut for me , just need to find some unpressurized baskets as I have a feeling classic will be on the way soon , I keep watching amazon warehouse at the mo as want to see if the price drops again, everyone loves a bargain.

I'm told the Amazon warehouse deals prices fluctuate depending on how many views and purchases they have - more views = higher prices (similar to Easyjet). Don't go mashing your keyboard as it will drive the price up.

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Whoa there slow down got to get to grips with pressurised and non yet,let alone vst etc plus sent you friend request as you use the window too

ooh didn't know we had friend requests on here, accepted! Let me know next time you head down to The Window, will say hello if I'm in the area! If youw anted to avoid buying freshly roasted beans online don't forget The Window sells HasBean beans with a fresh delivery every week, and SmokeyBarn's roastery is a 5 min walk from the station and you can buy direct from him.

The Systemic Kid just did a much better job explaining pressurised baskets than I could there.

Picked some beans up whilst I was there , gave them to friend who I went with as I am machine less at the moment , i let Haley decide on which ones to go for , he was impressed by the shop but he prefers a darker roast , we shall be trying them next week as I have got to hook up with to fix his dad's machine , that should be good as he's Italian with pure espresso running through his veins so if I can fix it I am up for a real treat. Don't know when I am heading there next but will let you know to see if you're about, I can quiz you about your L1 then :-)

¿ ǝsǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ ǝuoʎuɐ sǝop