Sign in to follow this  
hoofmagnet

Is this grind OK?

Hi

I've not long had the Iberital MC2 grinder but I'm noticing, what I believe to be, imperfections in the grind. These can be seen in the pic and are very thin light brown flecks which break down if you rub them between your fingers. They do occur consistently. The supplier has said it looks normal but I don't know any different. Is this something I should be returning the machine for?

Many thanks

2014-02-28 10.28.05.jpg

Photos don't really tell you a lot at that spec

weigh a dose

weight the output

time it

taste it

come back and let us know......

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

It could be a bit of chaff, which is a waste product at roasting. You'd see it in the beans as small bits of thin light brown that is almost paper like.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.

It could be a bit of chaff, which is a waste product at roasting. You'd see it in the beans as small bits of thin light brown that is almost paper like.

Plus one on that ....

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

it depends on the beans and roast profile, it's by no means just cheaper beans though.

A bit in your coffee isn't really a problem. Open the top of the bag and give it a good shake, the chaff will probably sink to the bottom. For the last 30g or so if there is loads of chaff you might want to pour the beans out and separate them, which is easier than it sounds.

Londinium I, Mahlkönig Vario, Hario Skerton, Chemex 1-3 Cup.