pattyxclentcouk

Gaggia Classic - no water comes through

Hi. I've had my Gaggic Classic for 3+ years. It has been descaled, the frother works. When I turn it on, the motor makes sound but no water comes through the basket. I take the basket off and no water comes through at all. We took all the bits off that we could and cleaned them (didn't put a new rubber gasket in though).

This is so sad. Any help in the greater London area to look at it?

Thanks.:(

Hi Patty,

What did you remove? Did you take the dispersion plate off and have you looked inside the boiler? If the steam is working then that narrows it down a bit. What happens when you put water through the steam wand? I.e. turn right hand switch on with steam wand open. Are you getting a stream of water?

RED Gaggia Classic with OPV adjusted and Silvia wand added, Gaggia MDF grinder (50mm burrs) with stepless mod, 58mm naked portafilter and Made-by-knock 58mm simple tamper, Wilfa Grinder, Aeropress with Kaffeologie S-filter, THE BEAST: Not yet RED Massive Titan 84mm burrset Gaggia MD-85 in repair...

Hi. My husband took off th ebottom screws, took off the thin plate with the tiny holes in it. Then took out a bigger heavier round disk thing and cleaned it all up with a brush and citric acid descaler. He put it all back together (we have done this in the past also with good results) it worked briefly but now nothing is coming through the basket area where water drips through the grinds (I'm not versed in the proper names of these things yet). I turn on the frother, dial the nob and it's fine with steam coming out to froth milk. Pheww. Thanks for any suggestions.

We DID get it working after this initial detailed cleaning, but a day later and it's not dripping ANY water at all through the basket shower....

Ok. The heavy plate is the dispersion plate. Does water come out when the pump is on and this is off? I would take the whole boiler out and remove the group head (really heavy bit) to have a look. This is quite a bit more involved and requires removing wires and tubes and screws from inside the machine.

You could contact Mark (http://www.gaggiamanualservice.com/) to get it serviced at very reasonable cost.

If you want to try it yourself I can talk you through it.

Edited by oracleoftruth

RED Gaggia Classic with OPV adjusted and Silvia wand added, Gaggia MDF grinder (50mm burrs) with stepless mod, 58mm naked portafilter and Made-by-knock 58mm simple tamper, Wilfa Grinder, Aeropress with Kaffeologie S-filter, THE BEAST: Not yet RED Massive Titan 84mm burrset Gaggia MD-85 in repair...

Before your husband takes the boiler out I suggest he removes the solenoid valve ( on back of boiler on L/H side 2 /4 mm allen screws)

then strips it down and cleans it out. The ports on it are very tiny and descaling can leave a tiny particle of scale inside which can block one of the ports .He will need to hold it in a vice OR screw it to a piece of wood to hold it as the large nut can be quite tight and difficult to undo. Take care as the parts are very small and easily lost.

This could be due to, either a blockage of your shower disc/shower holding plate or a blockage of the solenoid valve(inside the machine). The rubber gasket has nothing to do with it. You could try de-scaling again if the water is still coming though the steam wand. If it is a tiny particle of scale blocking the solenoid you may try pressing the coffee button and steam button intermittently to agitate and remove the particle from the solenoid valve. If it does not work please contact us on 01422 372554.

Hi. I've had my Gaggic Classic for 3+ years. It has been descaled, the frother works. When I turn it on, the motor makes sound but no water comes through the basket. I take the basket off and no water comes through at all. We took all the bits off that we could and cleaned them (didn't put a new rubber gasket in though).

This is so sad. Any help in the greater London area to look at it?

Thanks.:(

You are all amazing with your advice. THANKS. My husband has the Gaggia de-assembled.... so I'm holding my breath. If anyone wants to give advice, please email me [email protected] THANK YOU , this is a lovely group and very knowledgeable! x

Gaggia is re-assembled. It was the centre hole that was blocked. It's running like a champ! I'm so glad because I was ready to get rid of it! THANKS ALL!

Edited by pattyxclentcouk
update

Glad I found this thread. I just had this same problem, I took the solenoid off, took it apart and gave it a clean, reassembled and it's working again.

Gear:   Gaggia Classic, La Pavoni Euopiccola, Niche zero grinder.