dfk41

Lido 2 v Hausgrind

Prototype it my be but it is really only for brewed coffee, is enormous, nd seems difficult to grind and adjust. Seems odd bringing it to the market which such problems"

OE already make an espresso grinder, the Lidos were aimed at brewed coffee from the off.

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Lido 2 is made of glass as well not one to drop. I think that if you are based in the UK or Europe then the Hausgrind is a no brainer as it works out far cheaper and if you do have any problems with it, it only needs to go back to Edinburgh.

Only the catch cup, the hopper is a synthetic material.

OE already make an espresso grinder, the Lidos were aimed at brewed coffee from the off.

That is as maybe, but the thread was comparing the Lido 2 to the Hausgrind which does do espresso

That is as maybe, but the thread was comparing the Lido 2 to the Hausgrind which does do espresso

Yes, and the same thread seems to say that for cupping, Lido 2 was preferred & a slightly more even grind, then the Lido lost out with the CCD in that test. They are different products, different burrs, I'm sure there will be things (& people) that one suits better than the other (both are a big leap from Porlex & Hario). There have been a couple of comparisons on HB, the consensus seems to be that they both have their strengths & choice (that we're lucky to have) will come down to application & aesthetics. Indeed, if espresso grind is what you want then the Hausgrind seems to have the edge, between these 2, but I bet the novelty will wear off for espresso, drinking the number of shots you make in a day? ;-)

I don't see why we have to kick one guy, when praising someone else. I'm sure they'll both have happy customers.

Who is kicking who please?

Your post didn't give a fair appraisal of the brew methods described in the H-B thread, you made derisory comments about a pre-production model in beta testing. Hausgrind is available for sale to the public (lucky few so far), Lido 2 is only on pre order. You weren't being balanced.

"But seeing how both of these grinders (for me at least) would only be used 95% of the time for pour over style brewing, I think it's nearly a dead heat neck and neck comparison since the Lido 2's materials inspire so much confidence and strength, I'd be less worried about it jostling around. But on the flip side, the Hausgrind is so much easier and quicker to use, I put it slightly ahead." TomC's round up appraisal - one of the handful of people who has access to both.

A bit touchy, as usual MWJB, but you always are when commenting on my posts. Still, you are as entitled to your opinion as much as the next person, be that as it may. My thread was to inform people that there was a. Thread on HB where two owners put the things side by side, which is quite natural, even though they are different beasts.

I have no interest in a Lido, or in putting it down. Mr B came out and started to defend the Lido and it went on from there. I think that is called forum debate, a bit like your accusations over anything I haves said.

I have not stuck up for the Hausgrind, even though I have bought one, merely pointed out the fact that it can do espresso and drip which. Seems a better option than having to have two OE grinders

Touchy, not at all, most of your posts go without any comment from me, there's no personal aspect to this - it's not about you, or me. I'm not sticking up for the Lido 2. You made incorrect assertions about the market readiness of a grinder in this comparison. We are lucky to have 2 such companies aiming to provide us with a choice in this bracket, both have invested hard work on these projects, surely that's something we can be happy about.

It's next to useless having a hand grinder that can do both. I'm very happy with my Pharos but there's not a chance I'd want to try and move it between espresso and brewed! Given the good experience I've had of the Pharos 1) Cup Quality, 2) Build quality & 3) Ease of use I'll definitely be considering the Lido.

Expobar DB PID, OE Pharos, OE Lido & Torr 58.4 plan2convex

It's next to useless having a hand grinder that can do both. I'm very happy with my Pharos but there's not a chance I'd want to try and move it between espresso and brewed! Given the good experience I've had of the Pharos 1) Cup Quality, 2) Build quality & 3) Ease of use I'll definitely be considering the Lido.

No it's not next to useless, it's next to awesome. Probably the best option in fact for someone who splits their coffee drinking experience between heavenly brewed coffee and tasty espresso. Not many grinders out there that can do such a good job at both.

I don't really understand this whole espresso + brewed action going on, surely if a conical burr set produces a grind good enough for espresso and for brewed at coarser settings, it means all conical can do the same. Unless I'm missing something?

Regards,

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

I don't really understand this whole espresso + brewed action going on, surely if a conical burr set produces a grind good enough for espresso and for brewed at coarser settings, it means all conical can do the same. Unless I'm missing something?

Regards,

T.

What I have seen mentioned is the fact that espresso grinders tend to create a large number of 'fnes' which are ok for espresso but if you have a large number of 'fines' in brewed coffee these over extract quickly and removes clarity from the cup

Brewtus IV, MSJ, Torr 58.4 Convex, Hausgrind, V60-02, Aeropress, CCD, Bodum French press

Indeed, that is why I said I don't understand how a conical burr set can be good both for espresso and brewed. The principle was always loads of fines for espresso and very uniform grind for brewed coffee. Somehow now anything from a conical burrset is good for all methods.

Regards,

T.

Espresso: Londinium L1, ZR-71 grinder

Photography: Flickr

Indeed, that is why I said I don't understand how a conical burr set can be good both for espresso and brewed. The principle was always loads of fines for espresso and very uniform grind for brewed coffee. Somehow now anything from a conical burrset is good for all methods.

Regards,

T.

Ok me neither but then I guess then it must be similar to the fact that if you have two different makes of grinder with the same type and size of burrs yet one might produce a 'better' grind than the other, other subtle factors must come into play I guess more than just burr type!! Be interested to know though

Brewtus IV, MSJ, Torr 58.4 Convex, Hausgrind, V60-02, Aeropress, CCD, Bodum French press

Don't brink it's same burrs though in this case . The hausgrind I think is using burrs set very similar , if not the same to that used in the lido1 , the lido 2 is a different ? ( Although how different burrs set is debatable I suppose . ) .

Both are really designed for brew , it would appear that the in doing so the hausgrind would appear more adept at an espresso grind than the current model being tested ( lido 2 ) .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Regards,

T.

I'm sure that the Lido 2 burrs are perfectly espresso capable in whatever grinder they were conceived to be placed in, yes, I agree ...either burr should "work" for espresso & should make less fines at coarser settings & work for brewed.

Lido 1 had the same burrs as the Hausgrind (please correct me if I'm wrong), you can grind espresso fine with these in that grinder, but it's an effort (compared to, say, the much slower Porlex - not comparing grind quality here, just an illustration on effort required), especially with light roasted, hard beans. Doug Garrott made the decision to use a more aggressive burr set in the Lido 2 to facilitate faster grinding at the expense of a little more resistance over Lido 1....Lido 2 handle looks shorter (but overall a better design) than the long handle setting on Lido 1 too, so it seems that it would follow that Lido 2 takes more physical effort at very fine settings. Dark roasts & Monsooned Malabar might be much easier to grind? Lido concept is aimed at a portable cupping style grinder at ~1.5-2.5 turns out, Lido 1 makes short work of any bean at these settings and can be hand held. Under 1 turn out on Lido 1 you get more resistance (one of the girls in the office asked to have a go at grinding some beans at fine drip...no go), large beans like Pacamara don't feed as well at fine settings...Lido 2 should feed better, but again, more resistance from the burr set at finer settings.

The observations seem more about physical effort required and stopping the grind adjustment from slipping at "espresso" settings (this was also an observation on the Hausgrind but I think there's been a component change to help here? Spring change?)...but then that wasn't the Lido's anticipated MO.

What I have seen mentioned is the fact that espresso grinders tend to create a large number of 'fines' which are ok for espresso but if you have a large number of 'fines' in brewed coffee these over extract quickly and removes clarity from the cup

As you go coarser you get less fines, as you go finer the peak in the grind distribution becomes a flatter hill, or pair of humps - see the OE Lido grind distribution charts.

There are various ways to make "brewed" coffee, incidence of fines may have a greater/lesser bearing on one over the other.

The burrs in the hausgrind are the same as the ones in MC2, so you would expect it to do a capable espresso grind. Why the hausgrind is better than MC2 at brewed settings relates to the much slower RPM of hand grinding. Pretty sure I saw a discussion on this somewhere. I'll try to find it.

No it's not next to useless, it's next to awesome. Probably the best option in fact for someone who splits their coffee drinking experience between heavenly brewed coffee and tasty espresso. Not many grinders out there that can do such a good job at both.

Do you genuinely plan to switch between espresso and brewed on the Hausgrind? (Not meaning to be antagonistic - genuinely curious)

I've been switching between espresso and brewed on my Hausgrind for the last couple of weeks and it's definitely doable. It's not perfect for espresso but it's capable. I've had quite a few very pretty, very tasty pours but I've found I need more practise to get back to my espresso setting each time so that I don't get as much variability. I'll take it to the Birmingham bash if anyone wants to have a look.

Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

I've been switching between espresso and brewed on my Hausgrind for the last couple of weeks and it's definitely doable. It's not perfect for espresso but it's capable. I've had quite a few very pretty, very tasty pours but I've found I need more practise to get back to my espresso setting each time so that I don't get as much variability. I'll take it to the Birmingham bash if anyone wants to have a look.

Interesting, roughly what weight of beans do you reckon you waste each time you switch?

Half a gram maybe? There's very little retention. If you want to make a really good shot you might waste a shot's worth but you can get ball park on the first go.

Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

mine will be for V60 and aeropress only so for me the the ability to perform as espresso and pour over wont be an issue

(and it looks sooooo much better than its plastic competitor

a grinder a lever and some beans