Glenn

How long did you lurk before joining?

How long did you lurk before joining?  

608 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you lurk before joining?

• Less than 1 week
    • 1-4 weeks
    • 1-3 months
    • 3-6 months
    • longer than 6 months

I've dipped in over the past year or so, mainly because a friend purchased a decent machine and piqued my interest. Finally joined up as now thinking about purchase and can see the benefit of using the forum to facilitate this

Been reading for the last month or so whilst gathering info' to make a purchase. I now have a Gaggia Classic bought on Gumtree for £100. Only got a Krups grinder at the moment but saving up. I've replaced the steam wand on the Gaggia and have a new basket ordered all thanks to advice on here. Asked a couple of questions this evening and already got replies - thanks everyone.

Lurked for a couple of weeks. Bought a used Gaggia Classic and then signed up. Lots of interesting content on here. Never done the domestic espresso thing before as I used to get my coffee fix at work. 2 group La Spaz and a sturdy old Mazzer kept me pepped up dawn till dusk for 15 years. Just about to stump for an entry level grinder (Iberital MC2) and a new group head seal. Local shop gave me a 100g of their house grind and the Gaggia produced a reasonable first attempt.

Onwards..

I joined straight away but have lurked ever since. Dropped by every now and again, most of my questions have already been asked and answered so my post count is few but very appreciative of the wealth of info on this site.

I am a member of a walking forum, which made me look at the kit I had and then spend a fortune on kit I didn't realise I needed but then 'had to have'

I am a longstanding member on a cleaning forum - this one changed my business from a local to a national servicer provider, made me spend a fortune and still makes me spend a fortune that I never seem to have the money for.

I am now a member on here. I had only just started looking at getting really into coffee just before I joined. This made me look at my bog standard coffee set up and then spend more money but I believe through reading the back posts I could look at the machines that people were using, googling, comparing and then seeing what was on ebay I bought even more kit that I didn't realise 'I had to have' and it was something in a post where someone had mentioned Gumtree, I never really ever go on there that got me my latest machine.

My experience of forums is that they are a massive information pot and probably all you will ever want to know has already been posted but they make you spend money on things that you didn't realise you ' had to have'

I'm working away this week and left home on Sunday morning. I kissed my wife goodbye, told her I love her, walked through the garage, looked at my latest coffee machine, cracked a massive smile as I thought of the pleasure it is going to bring me in the future and when I came back out smiling my wife was scowling and said 'you don't love me anymore, I hate that coffee machine'

'Of course I love you dear but the coffee machine won't give me anywhere as much grief as you give me' should not have been the last thing I said to her as I left still smiling.

So to summarise, forums make you spend money. This forum has 'made' me spend money I 'didn't' want to spend, is going to 'make' me spend even more money, has made me stretch my vocal chords on a 'heated debate' with my lovely wife as to whether the machine could even get through the front door and that's only after one week of being a member.

Thank you coffee forums - it may be a 'rocky' but enjoyable journey but I lurked for a very short time before I jumped in with both feet and I am so glad I did.

I think I need to change my wife now for a quieter model but that could make me spend money....................................... :)

Rob

I followed a link from the singletrackworld.com forum, I lurked for a while before realising how immersive the world of coffee is.

Found the site about a year ago. Lurked/actively checked the site for about 3 months before joining.

Londinium I, Titus grinder, BWT MG2+ water filter

I've been visiting for a couple of years now, but things are getting serious with my coffee making, so I thought I should join.....

I lurked for ages - reading with interest, but only joined up when I was after some specific information.... thinking of really pushing the boat out and getting a Slayer single group machine - the design of the thing is real eye candy - although I suspect that the coffee will not be much better than my current set up. Just WANT one!!

I Look on the site most days after buying my most recent machine, but haven't got up the confidence to post as my knowledge is quite poor, my passion has grown over the years, my first real machine being a 2nd Hand Gaggia Classic (good little machine) to a Elektra Nivola (produced good coffee but was always going wrong) to my current set-up a Profitec 700 and Vario Grinder and I am enjoying the ride:act-up:

I am starting to get to a point now where I can actually start to discover different flavors and nuances where before (probably my barista skills) notes seemed very muddy. My tastes are changing though from Dark Roasts to Lighter ones and sadly the Vario doesnt seems up to this challenge (the ever continuing chase)

Biggest plus point I have found on the Profitec 700 is being able to control brewing temps and the consistency you get from a double boiler machine (although I only froth milk for Macchiato's, I still enjoy making milk based beverages for friends and family, although some prefer a certain brand that a well known movie star advertises)

Having chucked more coffee's down the sink during the 10 years I have been pulling coffee than I have actual drunk I am still loving the experience, here's to 10 more years with hopefully less wastage :act-up:

How long is a piece of string? and what do you mean 'did you lurk'? that's sounds suspiciously like a past tense ;) They don't call me Mr Lurky McLurk for nothing...

I jumped in as soon as I found this group of very friendly and helpful people. Of course I was slightly manic at the time, but that is a story for another time. Thanks for being supportive and not making me feel stupid when I made stupid mistakes. I started writing out thanks to members one by one and realised I would certainly overlook someone. This is such a friendly supportive group I felt right at home from the start. Can't wait to have enough cash to buy a prosumer machine from Bella Barista.

Home | Sage Dual Boiler | Hario V60 Decanter | French Press | Brasilia RR45OD | Lido 2 | RB & MBK Tampers |

Office | Sowden Joe 4 cup | Rhino Handgrinder

Hi guys. Just joined up having lurked for a few weeks trying to take on board as much info as possible!

As a newbie, my process is this:

grind beans(fine setting) with a De'Longhi KG79 (18g, I'm told 17 but the machine always leaves a few beans behind!). I then use the Aeropress inversion method & having stirred for 10 seconds leave to stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Then invert & plunge. Top up with boiling water, job done. I'm sure I'll be making basic errors or my process could be better, but I seem to be producing beautiful coffee.

i used to buy my beans from Square Mile, which were excellent but a tad pricey. I am now buying from Rave & Hasbean, both of whom are nicely withing my price point. Currently loving this from Rave: http://ravecoffee.co.uk/products/kenya-kii-ab

i'm staggered at the quality you can get for the money when you consider what (most) cafés charge for what amounts to one step up from instant.

Any hints or tips will be greatly appreciated both in my brewing process & bean recommendations!

cheers.

Lurked for months before signing up. Then lurked as a member! But as coffee is part of my soul now thought I'd start getting involved!

About 6 months or so, just firming up ideas and info. But now looking to take the plunge with an investment that can't be written off to experience.

I love forums so have been lurking in the shadows for a long time. Just bought a beautiful Gaggia Classic so doing some more research now and starting to post..

Waves hello from sunny London.

I've been lurking for the last few months - trying to get as much info as possible about buying a nice secondhand gaggia classic or rancilio silva.

Need to up my post count before jumping in on the classifieds :-)

Any tips for picking up a well looked after secondhand machine?

I did not lurk for too long and decided to join as I want to learn more about the wonderful world of coffee

as m joining the forum as a guest thinks that no need to register but i found some useful categories like selling then i decided to register. to be honest now m completing my 5 posts so i am able to post my thing which i want to sell.

At least you're honest but please don't make pointless posts just to bump your count up. This place works off trust, particularly the selling section.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Found through Google, I was very pleased to find a UK forum. Spent a lot of time reading the big American forums/websites and they are ok but ... you know full of Americans. :D Also pretty hard to find the machines/ grinders they recommend