Glenn

How long did you lurk before joining?

How long did you lurk before joining?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. How long did you lurk before joining?

• Less than 1 week
    • 1-4 weeks
    • 1-3 months
    • 3-6 months
    • longer than 6 months

Hi all, i have lurked for a short time gleening as much info as possible to attempt to create decent espresso. I have learned the hard way by buying bad grinders, then buying slightly better grinder, then modding and realising perfect espresso cannot be achieved with cheap gear - although a fairly nice milk drink can! I had a cheap D'Longhi, quickly replaced with Gaggia Classic and saw a great jump in quality. Then bought into 58.35mm tampers, VST 14g basket, Naked Portafilter (Yeah, that's a laugh as a newbie) and a Rossi RR45 grinder. Now i make something close to Espresso, Its still sour/bitter but i'm loving the journey and loving the routine.

My greatest realisation was creating dishwater from a non-pressurised filter basket - the realisation being that shop ground coffee simply isn't fine enough.

Most importantly, i'm having fun and look forward to refining my processes by talking with you all.

Hi all, i have lurked for a short time gleening as much info as possible to attempt to create decent espresso. I have learned the hard way by buying bad grinders, then buying slightly better grinder, then modding and realising perfect espresso cannot be achieved with cheap gear - although a fairly nice milk drink can! I had a cheap D'Longhi, quickly replaced with Gaggia Classic and saw a great jump in quality. Then bought into 58.35mm tampers, VST 14g basket, Naked Portafilter (Yeah, that's a laugh as a newbie) and a Rossi RR45 grinder. Now i make something close to Espresso, Its still sour/bitter but i'm loving the journey and loving the routine. \

Hello there

May be worth positing up a quick thread in the introductions thread too, as your

your first post may get lost in here

Decent coffee kit there too.

Glad to have you on board

Some useful kit there too..

My greatest realisation was creating dishwater from a non-pressurised filter basket - the realisation being that shop ground coffee simply isn't fine enough.

Most importantly, i'm having fun and look forward to refining my processes by talking with you all.

Hello there

May be worth positing up a quick thread in the introductions thread too, as your

your first post may get lost in here

Decent coffee kit there too.

Glad to have you on board

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I've actually lurked for about 2 years before joining! Initially I was looking at buying a machine that would do me for a long time, and had settled on a Fracino Cherub or Piccolo (I forget which now!) based on reading discussions on here, with a Eureka Mignon to grind. I got the grinder, then, before I bought the machine, circumstances changed leaving me with considerably less cash... so back to French Press it was.

Then in the past month or so I decided to get back in the game, so joined here and quite quickly managed to bag a modded Gaggia Classic (Thanks Malinski) - but am right at the foot of the learning curve. Lots of questions to follow methinks!

I'm still semi lurking - only posted twice I think. (doh - make that three)

Kit: Some coffee bashers for the beans and some water heater thingies for the brewing bit.

Too bleeding long, I wasn't a daily lurker but whenever I needed advice or wanted to know something particular I always ended up back here!

I've probably on/off lurked for a year!

I'm still semi lurking - only posted twice I think. (doh - make that three)

or ten as per your post count!!!

AKA Toffee chips

Too bleeding long, I wasn't a daily lurker but whenever I needed advice or wanted to know something particular I always ended up back here!

I've probably on/off lurked for a year!

Glad that you found the stuff here informative, I love this forum for the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm on it, plus having browsed many of the other forums they just seem so inactive!!

AKA Toffee chips

or ten as per your post count!!!

Yeah I always cringe when I look back on these types of posts haha ;)

Kit: Some coffee bashers for the beans and some water heater thingies for the brewing bit.

No matter how many posts a member has I always have to pinch myself to see that we have another follower.

When I started the forum back in 2008 I didn't think we would have as many active members in 2014.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Yeah I always cringe when I look back on these types of posts haha ;)

stop it or before you know it you will be at 50!

AKA Toffee chips

We have quite a strong link with members of wet shaving forums.

It seems the nature of the 2 hobbies is similar. There is a process, a decent set of equipment and variations of experience and equipment can yield differing results. Thank you for posting your experience.

There are shaving forums?!

Glad that you found the stuff here informative, I love this forum for the depth of knowledge and enthusiasm on it, plus having browsed many of the other forums they just seem so inactive!!
Thats exactly why I joined this forum a lot of coffee forums seem quite dead whereas this one is quite active, still considering the massive coffee culture gaining momentum in the UK I'm supprised how quiet it is!

There's a couple of really busy forums out there but generally lacking in people from the UK, I'll be sure to visit them when looking on advice on where to visit in their respective native countries :D

There are shaving forums?!

you are kidding right? there are forums for just about anything man

AKA Toffee chips

Well I suppose so, but I'm still somewhat surprised!

dont get into shaving, it will rob you of even more money, there is a shaving sub club on here....

AKA Toffee chips

dont get into shaving, it will rob you of even more money, there is a shaving sub club on here....

I get angry when I cock up a coffee, I couldn't deal with having to wait another week or two waiting for my beard to grow back just to try perfect the method, I'd go mad!

I really think I'd be hard pushed to be persuaded to spend money on shaving equipment. I shave about once a week when the itching starts and my kids start telling me I've gone past spikey!

Gillette Blue II and cheap ass Asda Shave Gel suit me... I'm such a Heathen!

No you are wise Hoffmonkey, save the money for shiney coffee things

AKA Toffee chips

I really think I'd be hard pushed to be persuaded to spend money on shaving equipment. I shave about once a week when the itching starts and my kids start telling me I've gone past spikey!

Don't do it, don't look at the shaving thread. I wouldn't have thought of it till this bunch of enablers brought it up. DE shaving, a whole new skill to learn. It's good fun.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

Don't do it, don't look at the shaving thread. I wouldn't have thought of it till this bunch of enablers brought it up. DE shaving, a whole new skill to learn. It's good fun.

and is just the best shave ever, ikon slant rules !!!

AKA Toffee chips

and is just the best shave ever, ikon slant rules !!!

Doesn't it just!!!!

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

Doesn't it just!!!!

I like my iKon OSS suits my needs and none of the other razors have got a look in since that came through the door David.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

up late as ever charlie

AKA Toffee chips

Well woke up to find myself on the couch about 30 minutes ago, this infection and the antibiotics, plus having to sleep in an odd position is playing hell with my sleep patterns.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!