#1 ·
How long did you lurk before joining?
Less than 1 week32838.23%
1-4 weeks19923.19%
1-3 months11513.40%
3-6 months495.71%
longer than 6 months16719.46%

#2 ·
It's always great to see new members introduce themselves and mention they have been lurking for a while before joining.

How long did you lurk before joining?

Comments welcomed below as well.

Is there anything we could have done to get you posting earlier?

#3 ·
I think it took maybe a few weeks for me to join when looking for info on brewed coffee I signed up think I made 1 or 2 posts then nothing for almost a year till I wanted to get into espresso at that point I thought I needed to get more involved as I had so many more questions and was too difficult to sift through all the information on here! !!

Anyway glad I finally became an active member.

Lastly I dont think there is anything other than being really interested in coffee and needing help that could have got me to become an active member.

#4 ·
I lurked for a short while, before deciding to join. I thought when I wanted to participate was the best time to join!

Admitted I am not a prolific poster, but watch daily and post when I think I have something to contribute.

#6 ·
I think I dipped in and out for a week or two before signing up. Still can't remember how I came across the Forum, but it was through researching for a coffee machine on the old interweb.

However the more I found that I didn't know, the more the Forum became an invaluable source of knowledge and experience. I'm still in the process of getting more out than I put in, but you should all be fiercely proud of the excellent community you have built together.

#9 ·
I lurked for a while before joining. I browsed a number of forums and other resources as I explored my options for a home espresso set-up and I liked this one. I am a member of a few traditional wet shaving forums and from the experience of them realize the value of a friendly and supportive forum, as not all are equal. I hope the lurking has helped to find the right place to land.

As an aside - lurking on this forum is a remarkable journey of learning. A wonderful place, and my wife may live to regret my discovery (though for all I know she's lurking in the tea section as I type!).

#10 ·
We have quite a strong link with members of wet shaving forums.

It seems the nature of the 2 hobbies is similar. There is a process, a decent set of equipment and variations of experience and equipment can yield differing results. Thank you for posting your experience.

#13 ·
Glenn said:
Is there anything we could have done to get you posting earlier?
I don't think lurking is a bad thing, it normally means people are getting to know the forum, researching and trying not to ask noob questions.

However, one thing for me that would help sign up earlier is single sign on using FB, google or twitter. Not that I want to add to the technical work load! Bit I'm always loathed to sign up to something new until I'm really sure I want to use it because it's another password, another username and an added security risk to my details. Single sign on offloads this responsibility to google/others

#14 ·
I signed up pretty quickly - was doing a few google searches for new kit and kept getting sent here, so joined to ask grinder questions.

Re Dave Wilton's point about single sign-on, I'm disinclined to use FB logins elsewhere - the site you sign in to gets a lot of info about you and your FB friends that way.

#17 ·
Found the forum by google search and I lurked for a couple of days to try and find out how to get the most of my old moka pot that I'd dug out to use on my work at home day (thursday).

It wasn't long before I noticed how friendly everyone was, and how strongly recommended a Gaggia Classic was as a starter, and so by the end of the week I was tempted into signing up to be a part of it. Sure enough, it wasn't long before I took delivery of my Classic and I've been asking noob questions ever since.

Oh, and I don't like Facebook either. It has it's uses, but that's me using it, not it using me.

#18 ·
Well over six months; wanted to follow some user opinions on machines before upgrading, expensive business, ironically I thought I'd get all my set up as I wanted before joining so it would appear that I had something worthwhile to contribute, not worked according to plan, still making crap espresso with an sbdu, hopefully I will make a decision before I either a. Go mad b. Lose my job c. Get divorced e. The hat trick!!

#22 ·
DavidBondy said:
Me too, although it was a while ago and my contributions (if such they can be called!) were minimal to start with.
Same as me. I started by posting the occasional sensible post before slowly ramping up my posts to the rubbish and micky taking I now spout on about.
:p

#23 ·
Glenn said:
We have quite a strong link with members of wet shaving forums.

It seems the nature of the 2 hobbies is similar. There is a process, a decent set of equipment and variations of experience and equipment can yield differing results. Thank you for posting your experience.
I've lurked for a few weeks.. Before recently jumping in.

You mention wet shaving Glenn - Is their a similar link with HiFi equipment and forum members?

Similar situation.. Continually looking to upgrade.. Never being 100% happy with your set up.. Always wondering whether that slightly more expensive piece of kit will make all the difference.. Trying to eek out that extra bit of quality etc

#24 ·
Hello, been reading the forums for a couple of weeks , just signed up as I seem to be coming here more often. Totally new to the world of coffee, My friend managed to give a 'god shot' and now totally hooked. Broken boiler on my x1 so trying to get started with a fairly decent machine,