Thanks Fran

I have added this

I recently used a 1kg bag of their coffee during a coffee training and found it quite forgiving.

Roasted a little darker than what I normally used but was a good base for milky drinks

Low acidity and a good mouthfeel

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Hey there,

A couple more for the list are, Coffee, Chocolate & Tea in Glasgow which ismy favourite at the mo and also Artisan Roast in Glasgow and Edinburgh. Please enjoy.

Dave

Sounds interesting... do you buy direct from growers because I am a grower looking for a way into the UK. We grow our coffee near Machu Picchu in the Peruvian cloud forest between 1600 and 1900 m

Sounds interesting... do you buy direct from growers because I am a grower looking for a way into the UK. We grow our coffee near Machu Picchu in the Peruvian cloud forest between 1600 and 1900 m

I don't buy direct from growers.....yet! This sounds really interesting can you give me some details about your beans and prices etc? cheers! Andy

http://www.thecoffeebean-vanandroaster.co.uk/default.html

[email protected]

Toper Cafemino - Fracino Contempo Dual - Fracino K3 - Piaggio Ape............fresh beans!:)

Personally I'm not yet roasting but when I do I think it would be interesting to buy directly from micro-lot producers like yourself. But before doing so I would wonder a few things, e.g....

- quality control. How to avoid buying defect beans

- scale. How to make it financially viable considering international shipping costs

I'm sure that such things could be overcome though.

I don't buy direct from growers.....yet! This sounds really interesting can you give me some details about your beans and prices etc? cheers! Andy

Hey ANdy, I'm ANdy too. We grow mostly Arabica varieties (excuse spellings - catimor, caturra, bourbon and tipico as they are called here in Peru) we do have some gran colombia and others but mainly the four listed. We're looking at producing gourmet coffee, 100% organic and exporting directly to the UK and other countries where we have contacts.

We're a way off being ready to export but are in the process of aplying for licenses. We currently only have a small amount as samples. I'll be in the UK in september so if you're interested I'll send you some. It's this year's harvest and set to improve even more.

Prices, not yet ready with that information but the ofcial bodies here wll be testing the beans and letting us know about their quality. We're currently selling a roasted, ground kilo of coffee here in peru for about £10 but these prices are moderate in the market for locally grown coffee from family producers. We will have to look at transort and customs charges before setting a price but we envisage a price of between 13-20 pounds per kilo. This of course may change as we get new information.

AT present we're making contacts, sending samples, getting registered and preparing for planting another 15 acres of coffee over the next 4 years. It's a great business to be in and it's so beautiful here. We are going to try and become the leading producer of coffee for export in the region by 2015, but on a small, exclusive scale. We've got some contacts in Melbourne, NY, Paris and London but are looking for small, independent sellers, coffee shops etc. so that we can control sales and make sure we meet orders.

It's a long process.

Well if it's of any use, here's my thoughts on bean prices as someone planning to set up my own coffeeshop/cafe soon. Sorry but I need to get mathematical here.

Coffee's retail price is low in relation to the average income... only a few quid... hence to make a living from selling it you need a combination of high volume and high margin. Let's focus on margin, because that's where the price I buy the beans for becomes relevant. I need something in the region of 85-90% margin to make selling coffee work. So if I sell my double espresso for, say, £2.20 then that double shot needs to cost me between 22p and 33p... lets say an average of 28p. Suppose a double shot plus wasted grinds weighs 22g. That means there are 45 double shots in a kilo... @ 28p, that means my kilo of ROASTED beans needs to cost no more than 28p*45 = £12.60 if I want to maintain my margin. If I'm buying green beans, that price needs to be even lower to recover the cost of roasting capital.

Now I know I can get beans for about £9.50 per kilo, but they're crap. I also know that some UK roasters are selling great beans but charging around £17.00 per kilo, which is tough to justify.

Of course, I could raise my prices... but how far will the market accept that.

I could also accept a lower margin, but unless volumes increase then I'm starting to make less profit.

I'm just saying all this because maybe it will help with your thoughts on pricing your exports to the UK.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Good luck anyway, Andy!

Hi Andy, yes, definitely interested in samples of green beans - I can roast them and give you some feedback!

[email protected]

Toper Cafemino - Fracino Contempo Dual - Fracino K3 - Piaggio Ape............fresh beans!:)

I also know that some UK roasters are selling great beans but charging around £17.00 per kilo, which is tough to justify.

£17 quid a kilo is very hard to justify!! I buy green beans for £4, spend about £1 roasting them and sell them for £10 (Brazilian). Let me know if you want a sample!

[email protected]

Hi there, thanx for all the names of UK based roasters.

please add

Volcano Coffee Works

Unit D017, 62 Tritton Rd, London SE21 8DE

020 8761 8415 ‎

I get my coffee from there, Kurt is a great roaster - his "Full Steam " espresso roast is to die for! creamy, rich, oozes out of a naked portafilter like thick nectar! and tastes great too:)

Hi Glenn I am new to your forum but have been roasting 25 years Capital Coffee Roasters not all the names on your list are roasters.

Roy

Hi Mike I like your honesty swap you super jolly for Anfim on demand you wont have any waste. £12.60 is about the top end for good quality.Roy

Cheers Roy. I'm working on a few ideas regarding waste. The super jolly is really just to get me started and I'll definitely be upgrading - I'm not overly impressed with it, but it's fine for now considering our budget.

I wish £12.60 was indeed the top end mate, but it certainly isn't in my experience speaking to good roasters. I think maybe bean price rises... good beans... are perhaps now filtering through. But there are some roasters out there who are still selling good beans at good wholesale prices... it's just a case of my finding them :)

Cheers Roy. I'm working on a few ideas regarding waste. The super jolly is really just to get me started and I'll definitely be upgrading - I'm not overly impressed with it, but it's fine for now considering our budget.

I wish £12.60 was indeed the top end mate, but it certainly isn't in my experience speaking to good roasters. I think maybe bean price rises... good beans... are perhaps now filtering through. But there are some roasters out there who are still selling good beans at good wholesale prices... it's just a case of my finding them :)

Mike how do you tell a good roaster from a bad one certainly not price

Would it be worth putting a geographic location next to them as they may be local to others which may help local businesses and save people and businesses on the delivery charges if we are able to visit/collect?

Espresso: Gaggia Classic w/steam wand mod | Iberital MC2 | Bottomeless Portafilter | Motta 58mm Tamper (Flat)

Other brews: Cuisinart DBM8U Burr Grinder | Porlex Hand Grinder | 2 x AeroPress | 1 Cup Ceramic Drip

Tea/Cascara brews: Hario CHJK-45 Pot | Bodum Assam 1L Pot

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way!

Great idea gazbea

Will update over the next few days

Some roasters are by appointment only though - so always check before turning up no matter how close they may be

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I've seen the by appointment only ones. Kinda makes sense as I assume that most of the roasters don't have a "shop front" per say and are contained in warehouses or from home with a roaster shed out the back.

Just a shame that they aren't more widespread... Still trying to find one in Manchester.

When I get a bigger house I might have to get myself a little shed for roasting and making wine... Could be an interesting combination of flavours! ;-) lol

Espresso: Gaggia Classic w/steam wand mod | Iberital MC2 | Bottomeless Portafilter | Motta 58mm Tamper (Flat)

Other brews: Cuisinart DBM8U Burr Grinder | Porlex Hand Grinder | 2 x AeroPress | 1 Cup Ceramic Drip

Tea/Cascara brews: Hario CHJK-45 Pot | Bodum Assam 1L Pot

Sometimes you just have to learn the hard way!

Yesterday I received an order for 4 samples from Two Day Coffee Roasters that I ordered on the 6th Nov. An email that I sent after 10 days went unanswered.

Don't know if that's a typical experience, but I won't be ordering again. Also there was no roasting date (or even a best by) on the packets.

Sorry, forgot to mention Coffee Cavern. I used to buy Malawi Mzuzi. Not sure if they still do this bean. Delivery was always efficient and coffee good. No complaints

Elektra Micro Casa Leva machine/Ascaso i2 steel grinder/Bialetti moka pots/Aeropress and Bodum (for office)/Caffe Ginevra cups/Coffee Compass Malawi roasts/ :coffee: