Volvic is arguably the best bottled water for Espresso & Ashbeck thought by many to be the best for brewed as such it would be nice if we could help each other save a few pennies and increase the intervals between descale by posting as and when these come on offer at various retailers.

I thankfully have a spar on my doorstep should I run out who stock Volvic in Single bottles at 88p but multipacks are the way to go. So is there anywhere these packs are on multi buy?

The reason why I've listed Volvic is that it is ph neutral and contains the least dry residue at 180 degrees C

I have not done my home work on ashbeck but I believe others have that information.

Lots of brewing equipment</A>

I'd scrap the whole idea of Volvic personally as your paying for the label / brand, and the minerality isn't worth the extra over Ashbeck.

Tesco's Ashbeck is the only thing I'd justify buying to use in an tank fed espresso machine, because I though the price for 5L was really reasonable (sub £1.50) and with dry residue @180 of 80ppm pH probably not too far from neutral either.

Brewing with less that a TDS of 80 can produce strange results, and when I was reading on water filtration 80 was pretty much agreed to be a lower limit for taste vs scale reduction across numerous online blogs / forums.

Londinium R - Mahlkönig EK43

Making coffee can be that great...

@obsessivity

In my Alex Duetto MkIV I use Volvic and buy it at either £3.50 for 6 x 1.5L or when on special 12 for £5

I have used Tesco Ashbeck as well. It is better for brewed than Volvic I find.

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

So apparently Asda are discontinuing Volvic as they want to trim down how many different brands they put on the shelves.

Does anyone have any alternatives or tips on where to get Volvic? It's served me well so far and seems to have kept my machine virtually scale free!

So apparently Asda are discontinuing Volvic as they want to trim down how many different brands they put on the shelves.

Does anyone have any alternatives or tips on where to get Volvic? It's served me well so far and seems to have kept my machine virtually scale free!

I've suddenly noticed Volvic getting harder to find... Asked Tesco staff who led me to where they thought it was then realised there wasn't even a space on the shelf for it anymore.

I understand that most machine manufacturers advise against mineral water.

Is Ashbeck water likely to damage an Espresso machine due to the minerals ?

Sage Duo Temp Pro | Eureka Mignon Mk2 | Sage Knock Box | French Press | Ibrik | Airscape Canister | De Longhi ESAM 4200 B2C (dead after 4 years solid service)

I understand that most machine manufacturers advise against mineral water.

Is Ashbeck water likely to damage an Espresso machine due to the minerals ?

Bottled water has different compositions depending on where it is sourced, some is very soft, some is very hard. Depends what you use. Volvic, Waitrose Essential, Ashbeck, Asda Eden Falls are most unlikely to cause damage to your machine. Vittel, Evian & Strathmore on the other hand, are another matter (if used by themselves).

“Coffee evokes the most insane reactions in people”, Rene Redzepi.

https://markwjburness.wordpress.com/

Am I right in thinking that Ashbeck and Eden Falls are less than ideal for taste, however?

As far as i am aware Sainsburys and Waitrose are the only supermarkets that stocks Volvic in the big bottles now. Currently 50p for 1.5l bottle in Sainsburys or a 6 pack in Waitrose for £3.

Lidl currently stocking Volvic at 49p for a 1.5L. Only went in for some fruit, but as always with Lidl, I end up coming out with more.

Not as cheap as Waitrose with the deal+mywaitrose picks, but certainly closer to home for me so I'll probably pick up a box. Trying to walk with 18L from Waitrose to the train and back home just now has cut my hands to bits...

Lidl currently stocking Volvic at 49p for a 1.5L. Only went in for some fruit, but as always with Lidl, I end up coming out with more.

Not as cheap as Waitrose with the deal+mywaitrose picks, but certainly closer to home for me so I'll probably pick up a box. Trying to walk with 18L from Waitrose to the train and back home just now has cut my hands to bits...

Was about to post the same - I always end up buying more than I intended in Lidl (and in fact any supermarket!)

I don't bother with Volvic myself as Brita-filtered Glasgow water tastes almost identical to my tastebuds so probably not worth the extra cost. Maybe I should start selling it undercutting Volvic retail prices :)

Sage Dual Boiler/ EK43 /Technivorm Moccamaster/Feldgrind / Aeropress / Clever Dripper /Bodum & Le Creuset Cafétières

Seems like mixing water types could be a way to go - like half Ashbeck and half tap water? I'm in Kensington, London, which is pretty hard. What exactly does Brita remove in the way of minerals and other stuff?

Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Seems like mixing water types could be a way to go - like half Ashbeck and half tap water? I'm in Kensington, London, which is pretty hard. What exactly does Brita remove in the way of minerals and other stuff?

Not really going to make a lot of difference, you might need to use more like 10 parts Ashbeck to 1 part tap water. Can you not find Volvic?

Switched to Volvic from tap water this morning. It tastes much better. Should have switched years ago! However, already getting grief from significant other about using more plastic.

My local Tesco Express is selling single bottles of 1.5l of Volvic for 50p each.

That's a good price, I usually order them from ocado. It's12 bottles for £5, and you get them delivered.. handy

Although I'm getting in trouble for the plastic also, but considering a bottle garden...

Water Distiller, silicone hose to fit to the end of the condenser, a demijohn and a few glass bottles to hold the concentrate and mineralised water. Mark the Demijohn at 3 litres and mineralise water to exact specs using a pipette. No more plastic waste. If you decant into glass bottles when mineralised you can always keep three litres on hand for brewed and mineralise as and when. Total cost about £70

ACS Minima (Beta) -- Reskinned Ceado E8, Niche Zero --- Gene Cafe CBR101 with Dimmer Mod and Bean Mass Probe

already getting grief from significant other about using more plastic.

It's a fair point but as long as they get recycled it minimises the impact. At least you're not pouring descaler into the waterways or going to be dumping your machine into landfill after a few years. ... Well that's my argument and I'm sticking to it!

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

Getting Volvic at Booker at the moment 36 x 1.5 liter bottles for just under £12.

R58, Niche (midnight black), IMS screen, VST Basket, Acaia Pearl, Torr GF, Feldgrind, V60, Kalita 185 and loads of other stuff I probably don't need :)

It's a fair point but as long as they get recycled it minimises the impact. At least you're not pouring descaler into the waterways or going to be dumping your machine into landfill after a few years. ... Well that's my argument and I'm sticking to it!

The rascals down my area are not even bothering to recycle my recycling bin. They just chuck it in the same rubbish truck.

Volvic is my go to but yeah need to cut it down for the sake of the blue planet and I’m finding I’m getting protective of my Volvic stash bit Gollum from LOTRs

Filter coffee fan = Aeropress pre-workout / v60 for leisure :coffee::good:

Mmm Volvixes my preciousssss!

Rocket R58Ceado E37SAeropressAerGrind • Puck Puck cold brew widget • VST 18g basket • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 convex black Ti/walnut tamper • Torr Goldfinger 58.5 flat sharp edge tamper • Big bag o' beans • Triumph Street Triple 675R

I was at the Irish rocket distributor a few days ago. Said that he wouldn't recommend putting bottled water through machines because they don't have enough mineral content. In fact he said that he got two machines come back to him purely because it was all bottled water. Recommended tap instead with a pouch that you drop into the water tank. Can't remember what he called the pouch but said that you replace it every six months

I was at the Irish rocket distributor a few days ago. Said that he wouldn't recommend putting bottled water through machines because they don't have enough mineral content. In fact he said that he got two machines come back to him purely because it was all bottled water. Recommended tap instead with a pouch that you drop into the water tank. Can't remember what he called the pouch but said that you replace it every six months

Bottled water & tap water are equally variable, Glasgow tap water has les mineral content than most bottled water. Minimums recommended in terms of mineral content, for boiler water are around 50mg/L total hardness as CaCO3 and 40mg/L alkalinity. Volvic is about 60mg/L for both. Most brands of bottled water exceed this apart from Cumbrian, Armathwaite water (Ashbeck/Aqua Pura/Asda Eden falls), Waitrose Essential Stretton hills is around 60mg/L total hardness & 32mg/L alkalinity, Deeside is very soft.

Chase Spring, Tesco Everyday, Harrogate & Buxton are pretty normal for UK water (hard, too hard for boilers). If you shouldn't put these in a boiler with a little pouch, then you probably shouldn't put any tap water in there with the pouch either. You need to be a little more specific about the water make up you are dealing with.

• About
    Coffee Forums UK is the UK's premier coffee forum Started in June 2008 by Glenn Watson, we now have more than 24000 mainly UK based members, and welcome more than 3000 members and visitors from around the world each day! With strategic investment and digital expertise from the Jackson Lockhart team (Tait Pollack and Adam Bateman), we are taking Coffee Forums UK to the next level, and are delighted to share the journey with you.

New Members:
    We are often referred to as the friendliest forum on the web and we look forward to welcoming you onboard. Please read our Terms of Use.

Advertising

Coffee Forums Media Kit

Click Here To Buy Advertising Space 
    £100 p/m when paid yearly, up-to: 690000 banner impressions per month!

Donate / Sponsor

Click Here To Donate (big thank you!)

Get Your Supporter Badge Today (per year)

image.png