I have had a Delonghi coffee machine for a while now (A BCO410) and want to get more seriously into making coffee. I also bought a grinder (Dualit 75015).

The Delonghi is here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-BCO410-Loading-15-Bar-Machine/dp/B003UMHO8G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I understand that this (and the grinder) are probably subpar as far as espresso is concerned. However I have been playing with it after reading some of the posts on here. If I set the grind to finest or use Illy espresso coffee I can get a shot that takes about 25-30 seconds with a strong tamp on 15g of coffee. But it still tastes quite bitter. The Illy is undrinkable, but I have been trying Rave Rwandan and Italian Job and those taste noticeably better, but not fantastic.

I am going to upgrade the grinder to an MC2 as per several advice threads on here, but should I upgrade the Delonghi as well or wait and see how it and the new grinder work out? I am looking into the Gaggia Classic. as a replacement. Are these Delonghi machines really that bad?

BTW I am not going to try and mod the grinder (I am going to use it at work for filter coffee).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

Mark

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Short answer buy a classic , get a non pressurised baskets for it and change the steam wand to the silvia one .

Classics come up on here a bit and eBay plus on amazon warehouse too, I wouldn't pay full price for one .

With an mc2 you can produce proper espresso with fresh beans etc.

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Wow that was quick.

I assume that the Classic does not come with the non-pressurised basket? What is the difference?

Thanks.

I assume that the Classic does not come with the non-pressurised basket? What is the difference?

New Classics are supplied with a portafilter basket designed to give lots of crema in order to convince the user this is how coffee should be. As Boots says, if you get a Classic, ditch pressurised basket and get a non-pressurised version - widely available and cheap.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Agree with the above advice re the Classic and non pressurised basket. Baskets go for about £5.

Getting a decent grinder is key, it's more important than the machine IMHO. An MC2 is entry level for espresso don't rule out a used one they come up on here for about £80-£85.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Thanks. I'm looking into some Gaggia Classics on ebay. There seem to be quite a few.

I'd be a bit wary of buying used Classics of EBay. Grinders tend to be a bit more resilient but machines need more TLC.

I'd definitely recommend going for a used from a more reliable source such as the forum as they tend to have been better looked after. Just my 2p on that one.

I'd be a bit wary of buying used Classics of EBay. Grinders tend to be a bit more resilient but machines need more TLC.

I'd definitely recommend going for a used from a more reliable source such as the forum as they tend to have been better looked after. Just my 2p on that one.

What would be a good price? I see that they are about £180 on Amazon. Maybe I should just get a new one...

The Gaggia Classic packages from Amazon Warehouse are usually a safe bet

Mostly returns or damaged boxes only (unopened / not used)

They range from £120 to £170

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I went for an Amazon warehouse one in Jan last year I think it was £127, I have heard of people getting them for less.

I've seen unmodified Classics in good nick going on here from members for about £90.

Modified ones for a lot more depending on what comes with it

Well I got a Gaggia Classic from Amazon Warehouse for £140 minus a £25 voucher I had so only £115. I also ordered a non-pressurised basket.

I also ordered the MC2 from Happy Donkey so I will soon be all set, but with more questions no doubt.

Thanks for all the sage advice.

I got a delonghi as well. Its the EC310 espresso machine which I am really pleased with. It make great espresso. The review here says it make great crema http://yourbestcoffeemachine.com/top-coffee-machine-reviews-2013/ however I just can't make any crema at all. May be there are something wrong with my grounds or technique.

Hmmm I wouldn't put much faith in that review, the site is full of Nespresso machines Eric. . Probably has a pressurised basket which is making fake crema bu forcing air through the coffee.

What coffee are you using , if is fresh. Bought pre ground ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Hmmm I wouldn't put much faith in that review, the site is full of Nespresso machines Eric. . Probably has a pressurised basket which is making fake crema bu forcing air through the coffee.

What coffee are you using , if is fresh. Bought pre ground ?

I am just using the Lavazza coffee ground which someone suggested. Don't know much about coffee ground.