IGNORED

Portaspresso

In the forum's absence, my Christmas present to myself arrived from Australia.

Notwithstanding that I got hit by HMRC and that the kit is a bit pricy as it is, it is a major investment in portable espresso making.

I bought the Rossa HC machine, the stand, the Rosco grinder, pressure adapter, naked and regular portafilters an extra 14g basket and a 21g one. I also ordered a 54.6mm brass c-flat tamper from Reg Barber.

After quite a few (well a lot!) of duff shots, I managed to dial in the grinder and make absolutely SUPERB shots. It takes a bit of learning and all up is quite heavy but what a cup of coffee!

8u9ubadu.jpg

I'd be happy to answer any questions and will bring it along to the next members day.

David

Edited by DavidBondy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to work on videos! The problem is this: I cannot hold a camera / video camera and crank the handle on the Rossa at the same time.

I'm going to have a couple of weeks at the end of January where I will try to set the whole thing up with a tripod etc. and video a shot being pulled (or should it be wound?).

In the meantime, if you go the Portaspresso site (http://www.portaspresso.com) or look on YouTube there are some videos made by the inventor (Ross Spencer) who is a thoroughly nice guy and a pleasure to deal with!

Watch this space ...

DB

Edited by DavidBondy

I've just ordered the HC and the grinder. How bad was the HMRC charge? How did it work, do they deliver and bill you after, or do you have to phone up to pay the fee before it's released?

Would you recommend the stand, now you've worked out what you're doing, or could you do without it?

Thanks,

Simon

I've just ordered the HC and the grinder. How bad was the HMRC charge? How did it work, do they deliver and bill you after, or do you have to phone up to pay the fee before it's released?

Would you recommend the stand, now you've worked out what you're doing, or could you do without it?

Thanks,

Simon

If it's shipped by FedEx or the like, you get a phone call from them - purpose of the phone call is to relieve you of the cost of VAT and import duty - total is around 22.5%. The item you bought won't be delivered until the VAT and import duty is paid.

2099893675_Screenshot2021-08-18at10_18_29.png.64d72435dfb5ecf4fe98b7a7a3408e52.png

If it's shipped by FedEx or the like, you get a phone call from them - purpose of the phone call is to relieve you of the cost of VAT and import duty - total is around 22.5%. The item you bought won't be delivered until the VAT and import duty is paid.

I was wondering if David could tell me which courier it came by, and what the procedure was, as it's sometimes different depending on the courier I think. I've certainly had Fedex deliver an item, and chase me for customs several weeks later (which is always disappointing).

I was wondering if David could tell me which courier it came by, and what the procedure was, as it's sometimes different depending on the courier I think. I've certainly had Fedex deliver an item, and chase me for customs several weeks later (which is always disappointing).

I ordered and paid Ross through PayPal. The total for all the kit that I bought came to £763.41 and that included me paying AU$60 for express delivery.

Incidentally, Ross is a straight up kind of chap but he doesn't offer discounts for multiple purchases and will only put true values etc. on the customs forms because otherwise he carries all the risk.

He posted it at the post office where he lives in Northern Queensland. It was shipped by Australia post to the UK in just over a day and then vanished into Royal Mail who sent it to HMRC.

When I got back from (yet) another business trip there was a card from Royal Mail inviting me to pay the HMRC assessed charges of £195.

I paid this on the web and arranged for delivery the next day which they duly did.

A lot of dosh, I know but this is beautiful, hand-crafted kit.

David

Edited by DavidBondy

That looks an amazing travel kit David, how are you going to be transporting it when you travel, I'm not sure I would want to trust something like that to the baggage orcs.

I'm also a bit worried and will arrange extra insurance. I'm working on a foam-lined container to take it. I won't carry the pressure adapter on trips. I will just take the minimum.

Very nautical! Love the look of these.

How do the shots compare to your L1 David??

I don't have a lever machine! Having bought this lot it will be a while before I can afford one!

The physical feedback from the grinder and the Rossa are amazing though and the shots (now I'm getting better at it) are really deep in flavour with a lovely depth of crema!

Thanks,

Simon

Simon, Yes! I would definitely recommend the stand. The Rossa sits in it perfectly while you fill it and then you attach the tamped PF, invert and start winding. I was not keen on holding a big brass cylinder in my hand while I poured almost boiling water into it!

Having bought such a lot of kit in one go (it's an illness that I have!!), I think I could have got away with just ordering the Rosco grinder, the Rossa HC and naked PF only with the stand. I probably could have done without the spare baskets and the regular PF.

The pressure adapter is lovely and nice to pressure profile my shots but I could probably have lived without it.

However, I do not like the plastic tamper which comes with it and am glad I had Reg Barber make me a 54.6mm brass tamper to use with it - another hundred quid bites the dust!!

If you don't mind me asking, what did the whole shebang set you back with shipping and our lovely govt's money-grabbing levy?

See above; total was £958.41. Of course it is not helped by the strength of the Aussie dollar!

I have Ross's complete price list in an XL spreadsheet where you can plug in the correct exchange rate if anyone's interested.

When I use PayPal for non- sterling transactions, I always use my Amex card because then I have no PP fees to pay and Amex offer about the best non-commercial exchange rates.

Simon, Yes! I would definitely recommend the stand. The Rossa sits in it perfectly while you fill it and then you attach the tamped PF, invert and start winding. I was not keen on holding a big brass cylinder in my hand while I poured almost boiling water into it!

Thanks for all the info David. Perhaps I'll add the stand on (Ross has a 2 week delay on the grinder at the moment). He's also charged me AU$80 for shipping, not the 60 you reported.

When it arrives, assuming I'm happy with the whole setup, I'll probably need to sell my Pharos, and maybe my Caravel with bottomless portafilter too. I'll probably keep the Ponte Vecchio for steaming milk :D Is this forum a good place to sell such stuff in the UK? Sorry for thread-jacking!

When it arrives, assuming I'm happy with the whole setup, I'll probably need to sell my Pharos, and maybe my Caravel with bottomless portafilter too. I'll probably keep the Ponte Vecchio for steaming milk :D Is this forum a good place to sell such stuff in the UK? Sorry for thread-jacking!

There is probably no better place to sell here in the UK. You will have a knowledgable and honest group of potential buyers. I would say that I'll buy the Caravel but I'm not sure that I can afford it right now!!!