jeebsy

Royal refurb

I picked up a bit of a battered old Royal on Thursday after work to do as a bit of a project.

Following this guide I stripped it down (apart from doser as didn't have a long enough screwdriver but it'll be off in the morning). It was so dirty inside. Every possible nook or cranny was full of coffee, some of it looked like it'd been there since the machine was built in 2006. Soaked what I could in puly caff and most of it came out looking at least passable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4802[/ATTACH]

The wee rubber grip on the doser handle was going to come off soon so just put it out its misery. Might either leave it bare or try to fashion a custom one out of sugru.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4799[/ATTACH]

Ground nicely enough when I tried it but probably needs to burrs too. Also planning to do the sweeper mod, add a camera lens cover. As coffeechap said the motor slipped out really easily once the base was unbolted so it should be easy to strip and paint. The chassis is heavily chipped but think it should be fine once it's back to the bare metal. I'm back up in Glasgow for a fortnight and had planned to use some of that time to paint it myself but going to take it round some body shops in the morning to see if they could do it. Thinking matt white - would really like matt grey with some orange but would take the cost up.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4801[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4800[/ATTACH]

Getting it apart was probably the easiest bit, hopefully it'll go back together alright!

Good work Jeebsy. Look forward to updates and more pics:good:

If you have not already sourced one I have a spare lens hood which Daz gave me that I'm not using.

In the meantime good luck with the build.

Mazzer Super Jolly

Aeropress

Gene Cafe Currently Roasting : Costa Rica Tarrazu

Hope you have better luck than me with my first SJ. I took it apart (tho not as throughly as you) to clean and when I plugged it in it was dead :S

Looking forward to seeing the paint job!

Coffee enema anyone?

If you have not already sourced one I have a spare lens hood which Daz gave me that I'm not using.

That be fantastic - do you know if the throat size is the same on the Royal and SJ? Wouldn't want to take it if it didn't fit

Hope you have better luck than me with my first SJ. I took it apart (tho not as throughly as you) to clean and when I plugged it in it was dead :S

Looking forward to seeing the paint job!

Cheers - left as much of the electronics as possible alone as I'm pretty clueless about exactly what goes on inside and didn't want to risk messing it up. The big Mazzers are apparently easier to strip so hopefully less room to mess things up.

Will you be single dosing?

That's the plan - any tips on other mods required?

The sj lens hood, fits the inside of the royal

AKA Toffee chips

The sj lens hood, fits the inside of the royal

That's good news. Drop me a pm with your address jeebsy and I will pop it in the post gratis.

edit includes detachable metal lens ring.

Edited by GS11

Mazzer Super Jolly

Aeropress

It work better with the lens ring

AKA Toffee chips

When you do put it back together, attach the motor base plate first it makes it easier.

AKA Toffee chips

When you do put it back together, attach the motor base plate first it makes it easier.

Attach that the motor then slot the whole thing in?

£60 for local body shop to strip, prep and paint it. Think between materials and my own time it's probably worth getting them to do it.

One of the screws holding the PF in in stripping. I'm using the right size/type of screwdriver but it isn't budging. Is there any way to loosen it up a bit?

Just drill the hole out and use a bolt instead with nut on inside of shell, £60 is a really good deal for them to prep it as well, I would go for that as they take a good hour to prep them, oh and yes attach the motor to the bottom plate then slide the whole thing in, much easier

AKA Toffee chips

20g fits in the throat with no trouble wack a plastic tamper on top job done.

The whole Doser needs attention!

@garydyke1

Chassis is totally bare now. Drilled the screw and the head came flying off leaving enough thread to get a grip on with some pliers. Doser disassembled and fully cleaned but the shot counter seems to have suffered a bit of collateral damage. Can't work out what should be flipping it.

Dropping the chassis off to get painted first thing in the morning. Going to see how much they'd charge for a stripe. Sweeper mods and fit a schnozzola on the to do list for the afternoon. Going to get some feet from Machina.

Will be great to see what it looks like finished

AKA Toffee chips

They said I should have it back for Tuesday morning but that was on the basis it was one colour - hopefully the stripe doesn't delay things.

Some 'before' shots

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4817[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4818[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4820[/ATTACH]

Looks like chassis will need a bit of prep work before priming and spray. Impressive if your guys can turn it round by tuesday.

Lens hood will go out in tomorrow's post :good:

Mazzer Super Jolly

Aeropress

Just got a call to say its ready!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4848[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4849[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4850[/ATTACH]

Here it is!

Looks like it's had a hard life so far :)

Looking forward to seeing its new look!

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings