ollie

which beans for a new boy?

Hi, just joined the forum. I'm new to brewing "proper" coffee but have been doing some research over the last few days. I have ordered an MC2 auto grinder. I'm looking for a nearly new Gaggia classic from ebay to start with. I would love a Rancilio Silvia but £300 is my limit for a machine- unless anyone knows of a retailer doing them for £300. My main question is which coffee beans do I buy? I would like to start with espresso and then on to cappucinos etc.

I take it I order roasted whole beans?

Ollie

Hi Ollie and welcome to the forum.

I have just ordered roasted whole beans from HasBeans so I will let you know what they are like. I followed one of Glenn's posts for the suggestion.

Still learning on... Gaggia TS, Cunill Tauro, PTM Tamper, Motta Tamping Stand and Knock Box, Gaggia Milk Jug and fresh beans!

I dont think you can go far wrong with anything from londinium espresso online. They have such a large range of different espresso beans which taste surprisingly different, are roasted fresh and they give very good service. I've yet to find anything to beat them on quality.

I just ordered some from james gourmet beans. They have some expensive beans, but give a detailed description of the flavour of all the beans on offer. So if you are just starting out it might help to find what the different flavours are like.

To begin with you will probably get through a lot of beans just 'dialling things in' and experimenting. So don't worry too much, you could even buy a few packs of supermarket beans for this purpose then move on to fresh roasted stuff once you've got a better feel for things.

Hasbean's espresso starter pack would be a good way of tasting the range of flavours and developing your own preferences. I'd add Happy Donkey to the list, good value although quite roasted (this is good for milky drinks though). Perfecting espresso is probably harder than making a drinkable cappuccino (the milk covers up defects in the espresso), so I'd start the other way round!

I went for the Has Beans starter kit. I will use the freebie beans that came with my MC2 grinder to start dialing in the grinder. Many thanks Ian