bupkis

New User, may not stay around...

I did want to post a couple of things in the relevant forums, but the draconian restrictions on what and where new users can post have made that impossible. Just the sort of warm welcome one gets in the snootiest coffee shops... So I guess it's appropriate.

I'm a contributing member of quite a few online forums and coffee is a new interest for me but these rules are, to be honest, silly as they encourage frivolous posting to reach the post count (to be able to make the only substantive contribution one has to make at the moment). So, basically, you want 5 posts from me about nothing in order to give me the privilege of making one post about something.

Edited by bupkis

Hi bupkis

Firstly - Welcome to the forum. I can assure you there is no snootiness here - the exact opposite. Loads of friendly folk willing to help.

You might want to start your journey on the forum by telling us a bit about yourself and your equipment etc rather than a moan about the restrictions. The restrictions are in place to stop spammers and people joining only to flog stuff.... We want people to join in.

As for your question about the online shop - I can't help you as I've never heard of them. Someone else may chip in of they have.

It's worth looking at the for sale thread - I'm sure I saw a black one for sale a couple of days back for a bargain price.

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

I did want to post a couple of things in the relevant forums, but the draconian restrictions on what and where new users can post have made that impossible. Just the sort of warm welcome one gets in the snootiest coffee shops... So I guess it's appropriate.

I'm a contributing member of quite a few online forums and coffee is a new interest for me but these rules are, to be honest, silly as they encourage frivolous posting to reach the post count (to be able to make the only substantive contribution one has to make at the moment). So, basically, you want 5 posts from me about nothing in order to give me the privilege of making one post about something.

What I wanted to post about was what seems to be a great deal on a Eureka Mignon (£229 compared to the usual £280-300 or so), but I was wondering if the company is at all reliable, as the website isn't exactly polished. You'll find it here: http://www.baristakit.co.uk/Eureka_Mignon_On_Demand_Coffee_Grinder/p1752643_11056602.aspx

Anyone bought from this place?

Wow, what an intro! The rules are in place to try and stop spammers! There shouldn't have been a problem posting the above question. Glenn will probably correct me if I'm wrong but I think you only need to have 5 post to post in the for sale section. I'm sure you could have posted in the grinder forum or the coffee Lounge. Sorry I can't help with the above link, I've no experience of them. Welcome to the forum anyway and hope you hang around to find out what a helpful and friendly place it is.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

WRT spammers: what's wrong with a captcha?

Neill, I wasn't able to start a thread in either the "deals" forum (to discuss that Eureka Mignon deal) or the "Equipment Retailer Reviews" section (to ask about baristakit.co.uk). The former requires 10 posts, the latter 5.

Way to make friends and influnce people. Not

Precisely my feeling about the warm welcome this site gives to new posters...

I s'pose that's us told then! Gulp! DB

An espresso machine and a grinder - who wants to read a whole list?

Let me put it this way: of the twenty to thirty online forums in which I participate, this is the only one I've ever encountered that has such a draconian policy. I've been on forums where your first post has to be approved by a mod, but never one where there are differing minimal post-count quotas for various activities.

Spam is a problem for anyone who runs a forum. There are other ways around it.

I think it's probably off-putting for many would-be members. But maybe that's precisely the idea...

Attendance is not compulsory

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

Whilst you have every right to have whatever opinion you wish, I find this one of the most helpful and least judgemental of all the many forums in which I participate.

I think it is true to say that we are all friends here and we help one another out as best we can. We organise social events and group buys.

I have never come across a single other member who has had any problem with the rules and guidelines that our very hardworking forum meister, Glenn, has put in place.

Perhaps this just isn't the forum for you! We like it just the way it is and none of us would change a thing.

So, as the saying goes: put up or shut up!

David

I can't say I found the initial restrictions a problem.... From the sound of it the problems one of attitude rather than a technical issue.

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Maybe best you lay off the caffeine full stop?

I'm very new and don't post much, but have found it to be helpful and friendly.

I even won the raffle for the Londinium. I was overwhelmed by all the congratulations and offers of help. This even though I'm so new here. Stick around and read. You'll discover just how good it is. Like any forum, posts are easily misconstrued.But there's less negative comments here than any other forum I've been on. Cycling, mountain biking and harmonica forums. So thanks to all. I've learnt loads ?

Precisely my feeling about the warm welcome this site gives to new posters...

Read your first post and was going to respond but decided not to - now your latest sarky comment has annoyed me. Your OP commented on the site having 'draconian' restrictions and 'just the sort of warm welcome one gets in the snootiest coffee shops... So I guess it's appropriate'. I don't know what other forums you frequent but this forum is a very friendly community where new members are warmly welcomed. What really gets me is the way you slag off a forum and, by implications its members about whom you know nothing, and then ask for advice and guidance. Unbelievable.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Tell you what......I will say what others will not.........piss off!

As ever, David, brief and to the point:good:

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Y'know what David. I tried to say the same thing but perhaps in slightly less direct terms.

Well done old chap!!! DB

P.S. Has anyone noticed how many Daves and Davids there are here? Cannot just be a coincidence!

Such a great name

AKA Toffee chips

Anyone bought from this place?

Hello Butkis

Allow me first to extend to you the warm hand of welcome and friendship, and may I also apologise for the less than ideal responses proferred by some of the less-savoury members of this forum. These people are tolerated here as a sort of care in the community arrangement, but you were not to know that.

May in, in particular, apologise for the behaviour of 'dfk41'. This individual has more teeth than he has IQ points.

So, to your question.

Indeed I have purchased from this retailer, and I can tell you that they offer exceptional service and the most competitive of prices. Nothing is to much trouble for them. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

However, I suspect you may encounter one small drawback. You see, offering the superlative service that they do, they can afford to be a little picky with regards to whom they choose to sell and I feel pretty confident that your custom would be declined.

They are like that. They don't like p****s either.

So sorry.

Makes a change from someone coming on and recommending a certain style of stuffing a chicken straight away!

Expo, your comments are noted and I will not rise to them. I think if you read this thread you are in the minority with your praise of this chap, not me...still, you have your opinion and I have mine. However, that said, if you really think I have a low iq based on the fact I told someone to piss off (with an exclamation mark), then you can be judge and jury.

By the way, I have a full set of teeth minus two......and let me make it quite clear, Expo and me are sound!

Edited by dfk41

Barista Kit don't have stock of the Mignon anyway.

It's quite simple really the rules are there to encourage participation, and as a result of participating you get access to the For Sale and Wanted section of the forum. Access to these is granted in this way in order to prevent people just signing up to sell items or buy them, and also to keep the "Deals" section of the forum away from the casual browser and to give forum members a chance to benefit from these sections 1st. If you have a genuine interest in all things coffee and questions to ask then making 5 or even 10 posts shouldn't be too onerous an obligation the rest of the forum sections are open to you. I have been on other forums where access to similar sections of them require 50 ,100 or in 1 case a higher amount of posts, their rationale is that this lets people get to know who you are and for you to get to know the community so that if you do wish to use the trading sections they can be reasonably certain you can be trusted.

If you do decide to stick around you will discover an extremely friendly and generous community here, as an example recently someone signed up to ask advice about an Xmas present for her disabled son who had become interested in espresso as a result of this forum members rallied round a post by one member suggesting that maybe we could all help out these people by raising some money and donating equipment to put together a very nice package of equipment and accessories and even a 6 month coffee bean subscription for this brave young man. Not what you would call snooty and unwelcoming is it? In fact we welcome everyone with open arms as we love to share knowledge about our common interest in coffee which then leads to friendships being formed. A couple of months ago there was a forum members event at a coffee machine retailers called Bella Barista and anyone who had been watching from the sidelines would have sworn everyone there had been friends outside of the forum for years, which wasn't the case, many of us were meeting in the flesh for the 1st time.

On the other hand if you decide to keep the initial attitude you arrived here with then I hope the door hits you on the arse and leaves some nasty splinters as you exit.

Edited by Charliej

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

WRT spammers: what's wrong with a captcha?

You typically only use captcha at one point (i.e. registration) so if I were a spammer I could happily register one or several accounts, get past that stage then unload across several sections of the forum. Not the end of the world but both unpleasant for the community and for moderators to go clean up.