coffeechap

'Darker side of life' Interest (DSOL)

Just updated the Members List for the next 3 months. I have sent new members an invitation to join the list which must be accepted by the new member after which they can gain access for all the announcements, comments & discounts available about the beans each month.

Please reply as soon as possible. Access for DSOL members is via the 'Community' button, then the Group button & then 'The Darker Side of Life' button.

Ron 

Ron, I appear to have been removed from the members list? Any idea what's happened?

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Have you been black balled Daren?

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Don't have 'black balls' here - nor do we normally have 'shared' membership!!

If you had put £27.50 each into the Bank you would have had two memberships.

On to it now Daren, you'll get your invite as soon as....

Ron 

Ron, I appear to have been removed from the members list? Any idea what's happened?

Ha ha , your my bitch .....( again )

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

3 things;

1. I don't have black balls

2. Cheers Ron

3. I'm nobodies bitch - especially Boots's! (my wife might have a different opinion though)

Rocket Giotto Evo, Mythos, Torr x 2, Rapha Chris King Tamper (coz they are cool), VST's, Hausgrind, Airgrind, Hario Slim, Chemex, Aeropress, Oomph, Puck Puck, Bialetti, Black Acaia scales, Acia Lunas,fresh beans

Blah Blah Blah - it makes coffee

Coffeechap will be putting up a new thread soon for the Roaster

!st week March for their Beans to be delivered

Ron 

What would be the Group's feeling if instead of contributing feedback as we currently do, for a Roaster, we filled out a form every month.?

I have in mind that we could cover most aspects of the beans & award marks 1>10 & have a section for comments. I feel this could give us some uniformity in the feedback & possibly avoid what currently tends to happen whereby negative feelings on a Roast can run rampant but positive feedback when the beans are liked does not receive much post space.

Just an idea & comments welcome. I would be prepared to do a trial form & put it up for comment in the Community Group.

Ron 

More than happy to critique each offering although, for me, having a collective discussion about the beans is part of subscribing to DSOL.

I guess feedback would follow peoples tastes rather than the common theme of the discussion (assuming all discussion was had post-critique). The danger is that we then dont discuss the coffee which is the primary reason for the forum.

Ive not been part of DSOL for long but can say that there have been two coffees that I was indifferent about. One was as a guest where one of the beans was excluded from the mix (cant remember the roaster) and one was the light roasted DSOL.

Comments tend to be posted at the extremes of a scale. The Coffee Compass offering received loads of praise. Perhaps part of the challenge is for the roaster to send us coffee that we want to talk / rave about.

a grinder a lever and some beans

I quite like the idea of a form, we could then have a record of whats been tried and how it was rated. Something similar to what hasbean have on their website maybe? Even with my poor tasting ability I think I would be able to confidently fill out such a form as long as detailed descriptions of e.g. individual fruits are not required, I would be hopeless with that!

I think the form may actually promote more discussion, perhaps if we all fill it out individually before publishing we may be able to have some different views about the bean come to light. When someone describes the taste of a bean I am quite guilty of trying to taste what has been described and not what I can personally taste.

Just some thoughts

Stuart

I'm happy to fill in any feedback the roaster wants, however it is good to have a thread to discuss extractions, etc so we can see what others are finding. I do agree that negative comments seem to go rampant and good ones fizzle out quickly in the current setup

An outsiders point of view ( Im not in this sound of DSOL but have been previously )

These roasters give you a bespoke roast .Thats pretty dam cool , and at a keen price for a bespoke roast too!

Big props to CC and Ron for keeping this going !

You wanna make drinking these fun and not too analytical but the roasters also deserve some constructive and consistent feedback.

Perhaps using a form where people are prompted to answer questions would be a way of achieving this ?

How does it taste in milk , how much milk did you use

Did you try it as ristretto or lungo etc....

If they get really great feedback ( positive or to help improve ) perhaps these roasts will get mass made and other people can enjoy them.

You can spread the joy of great darker roasts !

If they don't get feedback of the 20 odd people then other people might not get the chance to do so ....and looking at say the Small batch stuff last time , i can't work out if people were quieter on it coz it was nice butt they had nothing to say or they are apprehensive of saying

"its tastes like this" on a public thread, or they do't trust their palate ?

Or whether it wasn't much cop and people didn't want to say on a public thread.....

Whats the roaster to make of it ?

Flip of this is that if other roasters were shown great consistent feedback from 20 expert palates then I'm sure it would make it easier for CC and Ronsil to get other roasters on board....

Edited by Mrboots2u

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

I'm happy to fill in any feedback the roaster wants, however it is good to have a thread to discuss extractions, etc so we can see what others are finding. I do agree that negative comments seem to go rampant and good ones fizzle out quickly in the current setup

i'm in agreemnet with Geordie Boy, extractions info has been invaluable.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

Did we not do something similar last year and it became over complicated?

Why not instead of change just introduce a few basic points to include in our comments. I know once I've dialled in and hit the mark then after first comments I don't bother again if others have put down a similar viewpoint. How about everyone puts in 4 posts minimum ,one for each bag as they work through. Even if its of a similar nature to your previous post then there will be 80 posted opinions.

fracino little gem, Handpresso Wild, MAZZER SJ, custom Bialetti knockbox. heft walnut ,made by knock.

As founder of this group I would like it to continue on the vein it was intended and that is about discussing the beans, finding the best extraction recipes, talking about the flavours we are getting and evaluating how the beans develop as a group.

It would be nice to see more contributions from all of the group as that is what the roasters want to see and ultimately is one of the levers I use to secure the best deal I can.

AKA Toffee chips

As founder of this group I would like it to continue on the vein it was intended and that is about discussing the beans, finding the best extraction recipes, talking about the flavours we are getting and evaluating how the beans develop as a group.

It would be nice to see more contributions from all of the group as that is what the roasters want to see and ultimately is one of the levers I use to secure the best deal I can.

You already have too many levers- you dont need to use any more :exit:

a grinder a lever and some beans

The roasters do not like being bashed with levers!!!

AKA Toffee chips

I have no objection whatsoever to filling in a standardised form of some, but at the end of the month when we have had a while to sum up our thoughts regarding that particular months offering. I wouldn't, however, want this form to prejudice or in fact exclude any other discussion around the coffee on the forum. I find the discussion as much as part of the process as drinking the coffee. I do understand that certainly people are quicker offer negative opinions once someone proffers that opinion 1st and that those who are enjoying it sometimes say the least. I think there is also a section of people that don't feel able to contribute to discussions about the bean in question because they think that they have nothing to contribute to the discussion beyond "I like it" and maybe due to a lack of experience don't know how to frame their opinions the way they wish to or don't wish to appear foolish when offering up what they are getting when they drink the coffee. I think these people would have more to say on a feedback form maybe.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

September starts tomorrow & with the new month will come the last of the DSOL current subscription.

The new 3 months will start for Oct-Nov-Dec.

We have a few more places to offer any new participants who may like to join.

Here is the current list & it would be good if DSOL Members could signal your intentions for going forward for the next quarter.

Coffeechap

Ronsil

DFK41

BillCoxfam

Working Dog

Geordie Boy

Stub24

Gangstarrrrr

Yes Row

Heligan

Jollybean

MarkyP

Urbanbumpkin

Big Norry

Charlie

For prospective new members you pay a sub of £55 including postage, up front for the 3 month period.

You will receive each month 4 x 250 grams bags in one delivery. Pay now for cover up to & including Christmas.

The coffee will be whole beans roasted darker side of medium. Usually the selected roaster, a different one each month, does a special roasting for DSOL..

If you would like to nominate a favourite roaster please put their name up for consideration.

We've enjoyed some lovely roasts over the past few months. Long may that continue.

We do have a top limit of 20 members as this amount seems to work best for most roasters.

First come,first served. I will post out payment details to all once we have an idea of numbers.

Edited by ronsil

Ron 

Yes please, I wish to continue.

Really have enjoyed the offering this 1/4. Well done and thanks to all who organise

Yep I'm in again too please Ron. Some really good beans recently which I have really enjoyed and the group's comments really help guide me in the right direction to get the best out of them. Thanks to all who make it happen.