c_squared

The 2013 central heating challenge!

So here it is, every year with the passing of summer and the onset of the first autumnal storms I try and set myself a target of when I'll turn the central heating back on.

I normally set myself the target of November but my best effort yet was December. When I suggested to my wife that we should aim for the new year she gave a simple reply, delivered with sufficient authority that made be conceded, she merely said NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!

There are various factors that I must consider, this year they include...a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a pregnant wife. Each year I walk along a dangerous path of pushing it for just one more week without being banished to sleep in the garage. Another significant factor is my need (not want) of an upgrade from a porlex hand grinder to something, well, more substantial, in both function and cost.

Ok, so the heating might not be on but when the weather looks like this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379444990.579916.jpg

...I get to light this (just try and ignore the safety guard)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379445072.628092.jpg

Anyway, autumn is my favourite season and I love stoves, fires etc. I was wondering, does anyone else enjoy these simple pleasures or set themselves a central heating challenge?

We've had an enforced no boiler on, the burners gone. This always happens when I least need it. Ah well, stoves lit. Flat white in me. Plenty warm now.

Gaggia classic (OPV, steam wand and auber PID), HG one, hausgrind walnut, rattleware handle free, bottomless pf, 15g, 18g and 20g vst, torr goldfinger, 3 cup chemex, 8 cup chemex, 3 cup siphon, ceramic v60-01, kalita wave 155 and an aeropress.

As the gas bills went up our central heating thermostat came down, currently set to 14c. But i re opened the chimney a couple of years ago and have an open wood fire. My Auntie has a country estate and has a log pile the size of my house. Cant beat a coffee / glass of vino around a fire on a cold night, not a lover of central heating anyways.

We have a couple of wood burning stoves that get regular use. Our house is very well insulated and has a heat recovery system so the central heating is not on much anyway. Our Rayburn is on in the winter months though - provides background heat downstairs

Gene, HG One, LI

Gas bills, actually just bills in general have got a little out of control. A large source of wood on a country estate within the family sounds...amazing. I have to resort to paying for a tipper load and storing it in the garage. Still, it's all part of the process and a little like coffee, the process adds to the enjoyment.

Heat recovery systems, rayburns and doubling up on stoves sounds like my kind of house!!! Makes my one little stove look a little lonely on its own. Saying that though our stove really pushes the heat out.

I've been of work at home this week and I have to say that I gave in yesterday. The thermostat is only at 12deg but it feels wrong turning on this early. It'll be off again at the end of the week.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

I don't have a thermostat on my boiler, just a dial from 0-4, I keep it turned down as low as I can get. My wife once asked me what the dials did and I was caught off guard and gave her a straight answer. Every now and again I see the dial has mysteriously been cranked up!

I don't have a thermostat on my boiler, just a dial from 0-4, I keep it turned down as low as I can get. My wife once asked me what the dials did and I was caught off guard and gave her a straight answer. Every now and again I see the dial has mysteriously been cranked up!

Ha! I get "Oh I must have accidentally knocked it when I went upstairs".

DE1Pro, EK43 SSP, bloody tasty coffee!

GrindScience.com - My blog of coffee related ramblings

We gave in yesterday as well. Partly due to drying the gloss for the decorators but partly because its flippin cold !

I have a new wood burner for the outbuilding that is twice the heat output of the old wood burner. Only problem is that I currently have 12m of wall missing that is replaced with plywood until the wall is rebuilt. Cant wait to get that rebuilt and a bit warmer than it currently is.

a grinder a lever and some beans

I gave in at the weekend. I was convinced I'd hold off till mid October then heard Ray Mears on the radio saying that he'd fired up his heating last week. I think his quote was "any old fool can be cold".

Maybe resorting to bushcraft when the gas bill lands!

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I gave in at the weekend. I was convinced I'd hold off till mid October then heard Ray Mears on the radio saying that he'd fired up his heating last week. I think his quote was "any old fool can be cold".

Maybe resorting to bushcraft when the gas bill lands!

Haha, brilliant. I would expect ray of all people to have a nice open fire/wood burner. Maybe we should try and draw a comment from bear grylls as a second opinion.

The only reason I can last out until November is because of the stove.

The central heating isn't on yet, but I've kept my work room warm by leaving Heavenly switched on for the last few days as a big expensive space heater.

I have just moved my machine to its Autumn/winter position, next to wear i sit on my PC in the kitchen, dont need a radiator

Haha, brilliant. I would expect ray of all people to have a nice open fire/wood burner. Maybe we should try and draw a comment from bear grylls as a second opinion.

The only reason I can last out until November is because of the stove.

I would love a wood burner but our chimney can't take it. Maybe that's Rays version of central heating ie a wood burner or just him closing his windows :)

I think Bear would have had his on since mid Aug ! He's probably been jetted off to an emergency 5* Hotel when this colder spell was forecast.

Sage DB; Mazzer Major; VST 15g, 18g & 20g Baskets;TORR Trapez & Perger Tamper

I would love a wood burner but our chimney can't take it. Maybe that's Rays version of central heating ie a wood burner or just him closing his windows :)

I think Bear would have had his on since mid Aug ! He's probably been jetted off to an emergency 5* Hotel when this colder spell was forecast.

Haha.

You can get the chimney lined but it comes at a cost. We were lucky our chimney was in good nick and that helped keep the cost for installation down.

A few years ago my brother-in-law said to me "if you can't be warm in your own house where can you be warm". I've lived by that doctrine ever since as it just made sense to me.;

Ian

Minima ma ma ma Eureka Zenith

We only pulsed ours a couple of times 1) to check the new boiler works and 2) to ''dry the towels'' in the bathroom...well that was her excuse.

We have a wood-burner in the living room & lauras brother is a tree surgeon. No doubt we will be using it a lot quite soon

@garydyke1

I keep my thermostat at 17degrees though certain areas of the house can drop down to 15. Have the original victorian fireplace in lounge and burn mostly wood pallets (heat treated only & chopped up at work) and have a stash of hardwood oak/ ash which I collect foc during the course of the year.

in comparison, I have 2 female neighbors, and always chuckle to myself when I see their combis running at all times of the day....when they are at work!

Mazzer Super Jolly

Aeropress

Gene Cafe Currently Roasting : Costa Rica Tarrazu

Our heating is oil powered , so every 3-6 months a tanker rolls up and fills my tank. I try and buy in the summer when it's cheaper , not use it for those months , then get us through the winter. Only ran out of oil once, I wasn't a popular Mr B that day .....

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Our heating is oil powered , so every 3-6 months a tanker rolls up and fills my tank. I try and buy in the summer when it's cheaper , not use it for those months , then get us through the winter. Only ran out of oil once, I wasn't a popular Mr B that day .....

Im originally from Northern Ireland where the majority of houses are on oil fired central heating. When I was a kid the oil tank in the garden was a bit of a climbing frame for my brothers and I. I do however like the convenience of a gas combi boiler.

The bloody prices swing so much for oil across the year . 500 litres can go from £280 to nearly £400 if you time it wrong . Used to have wood fired burner in old place , was lovely ....

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

That is a huge swing in prices! Wood stoves are lovely, bit of a luxury really but it helps off set the use of the central heating.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379604801.017636.jpgthis should keep me and my family warm for a while...it certainly did while I was stacking it in the garage this morning!