IGNORED

Todays Roast

iroko

Roasted 450g of Rave Rwanda in 2 batches today = 370g roasted beans

ihk5.jpg

Voltage was good throughout roast averaging 237-239v.....though I was surprised too see a drop to 232v when I switched the kettle on during the warm up stage:(= Made sure all appliances off when I started roasting, once finished me tea:) note:kitchen has been re-wired and has it's own ring main.

Beans went in at approx 100c warm up and genie set to 242c

First crack at roughly 11 min and kept at this for a minute then dropped too 238c

Possibly had 2nd crack at approx 14mins

E-dumped roast at 15min and transferred too cooling pans.

Overall happy with the results though would like too have finished the roast just after 2nd crack i.e.14.15 to achieve a slightly lighter roast. All good experience for my next roasts.

Edited by GS11

They look great to me, hope they taste good too.

What are you using to test line voltage, I've no idea what mine is.

Thanks Pete, tried the rewandan (2 days rested) today in a V60 and was really nice:good:

I'm using a multi-meter plugged into live and neutral of neighboring socket to record voltage.

Worth checking Gene voltage as it can have quite an affect on roast times i.e.

medium.jpg

Therefore be careful using other peoples roast timings, unless you are comparing similar voltage. I'm now recording voltage in my own roast logs (another variable :D)

A very safe way for continuous check on line voltage is a 'Plug-in Power & Energy Monitor'

They are available from Maplins at -£20.

Can also be found on Ebay

Thanks Ron. Safer then messing around with a multimeter.

Will it record average volts over a run?

A very safe way for continuous check on line voltage is a 'Plug-in Power & Energy Monitor'

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5209[/ATTACH]

They are available from Maplins at -£20.

Can also be found on Ebay

Thanks for this, a trip to maplins this week.

Ok this is the first of the BB December bulk buy beans (kindly split with sofmonk:))

Monsooned Malabar AA

Used a simple profile from dfk41 to roast 250g beans

Preheat gene to 100c > insert beans >and then 226c until finish.

My ambient = temp 18c / Voltage average 241v throughout roast

First crack around 12min > E-dumped at 14.10 (dfk41 suggested 14.26) but this time spreading the beans across a large roasting tray > putting gene on cooling cycle > transfer to colanders.

Very little chaff with this bean. Roast went really well and never felt out of control. Pretty much spot on with the degree of roast I was aiming for:good:..... Looking forward too these in about 3 days rest.

oao3.jpg

Note: now using a halogen light for better indoor viewing of roast progress.

Edited by GS11

Monsooned Malabar eh. - I usually roast them considerably darker than that but its just to my taste.

Very interested to hear your tasting notes on them like that.

Would say you probably need to leave them a week to fully develop.

If its for espresso MM makes a good base for a blend

Roasted Papua New Guinea Sigria

250g taken to 240, I didn't hear 1st crack but clearly heard 2nd crack at 14 mins 45 secs.

I finished roast at 17 mins but should have finished at 16.30.

voltage was between 234.4 - 237

I seem to still have some chaff in between the crack in the middle of the bean, I've not had this before, never used this bean before so I dont

know if this is normal.

sun25114013_zpse91f7956.jpg

Monsooned Malabar eh. - I usually roast them considerably darker than that but its just to my taste.

Very interested to hear your tasting notes on them like that.

Would say you probably need to leave them a week to fully develop.

If its for espresso MM makes a good base for a blend

Cheers Ron will update once rested. I really enjoyed MM previously in the aeropress and was aiming for a roast which will work well brewed as well as espresso. May try a darker version just past 2nd crack when I'm roasting MM again:good:

Roasted Papua New Guinea Sigria

250g taken to 240, I didn't hear 1st crack but clearly heard 2nd crack at 14 mins 45 secs.

I finished roast at 17 mins but should have finished at 16.30.

voltage was between 234.4 - 237

I seem to still have some chaff in between the crack in the middle of the bean, I've not had this before, never used this bean before so I dont

know if this is normal.

sun25114013_zpse91f7956.jpg

Congrats Pete roast is looking good:good:Would you describe finished beans as dark roast ? Suggest the chaff is normal for the bean. Note your homes voltage level is quite lower than mine.... means longer roast times and shows how useful it is too monitor voltage.

I'd say It's a dark roast, I try not to go any darker than this.

Beans were roasted late afternoon, I'm keeping an eye on my voltage to see If there's a better time to roast, currently reading around 240.

Can be quite a few factors which will effect your voltage i.e peak times /commercial industrial useage/ energy supplier (I noticed turning on a kettle made a noticeable decrease!)

I live near a town centre and had much better voltage this Sunday afternoon then my last roast on a weekday morning.

........can all effect repeatability if relying on previous roast times..

Edited by GS11