IGNORED

Todays Roast

iroko

you only have 230 digits in c, but 460 in f, so you have twice as much information.

Yes your resolution has doubled on the screen however I doubt the Gene measures better than +/- 4 deg C. Remember that the temp sensor produces an output in Volts and the unit just calculates a temperature from it, be it in either C or F. Ultimately it's the accuracy of this measurement that limits the system.

Don't get mixed up between accuracy and resolution

That's exactly correct IMHO. Also remember that the temps are read from the exhaust gases & are only relevant to previous roasts on the same machine. Ideally you need to measure the bean temp but unless you are an engineer not easy to do on a gene.

Yes your resolution has doubled on the screen however I doubt the Gene measures better than +/- 4 deg C. Remember that the temp sensor produces an output in Volts and the unit just calculates a temperature from it, be it in either C or F. Ultimately it's the accuracy of this measurement that limits the system.

the gene is 4c out + or -???, or even 7-8f plus or minus??. do you know how big a difference that is??. that is nearly the diff betwen a light and medium roast lol. i now have a gene at home, will play with it tonight.

The temp error will more affect the time it takes for the roast to complete (if you base completion on when you hear the cracks, colour, smell, etc). With the same bean, volume roasted, environment conditions and warm-up, it's not unusual for me to have upto 2 mins difference between roasts going to the same level

That roast looks awesome iroko! I've got a Gene but I've never managed a decent roast of anything Ethiopian. Actually, I haven't managed a decent roast of any African beans at all - they always come out really unevenly roasted and chaffy.

Is there a specific roast profile you use? Any tips would be awesome!

As I've said before I hardly ever hear 1st or 2nd crack so I go by the colour of the beans and make sure I hit the cooling button before they go too dark.

These were the most chaffy beans I've roasted.

I normally go up to 240 or there abouts and then drop down to 235 nearer the end of the roast.

As I've said before I hardly ever hear 1st or 2nd crack so I go by the colour of the beans and make sure I hit the cooling button before they go too dark.

These were the most chaffy beans I've roasted.

I normally go up to 240 or there abouts and then drop down to 235 nearer the end of the roast.

Hi pete

Do you cool off the beans in the colander and if so when do you transfer to the colander?

If you allow the Gene to complete its cooling cycle the beans come out fairly cool. It really takes too long so many people stop the Machine at 100C & cool outside the drum. However always remember to put the drum back & allow the Gene to complete its built-in cooling cycle with the drum connected.

cheers guys, thanks. dont want to burn my house down lol. its sitting there in front of me, just a bit hesitant to fire it up, and i dont have to energy at the moment either lol. so am gonna wait until i got a couple of hours to give it proper attention.

i got access to most coffee, so will go with an ethiopian sidamo first, its a soft bean as i said before(im sure you know this), then i can start with very slow roasting first, and speed up with every roast, and see what kind of ranges the genie has.

it a 250g roaster, but i saw you say use 225, is that because it take to long to roast on maximum heat with 250g?. or just yougot good profile from that bean?, thanks.

• 1 month later...
If you allow the Gene to complete its cooling cycle the beans come out fairly cool. It really takes too long so many people stop the Machine at 100C & cool outside the drum. However always remember to put the drum back & allow the Gene to complete its built-in cooling cycle with the drum connected.

When using the genie too cool to 100c (as opposed to an E-dump), I expect you have to allow for coasting due to the beans still cooking until temps reduce enough.

i.e. stopping the roast X amount of time before the desired bean colour is achieved.

i.e. stopping the roast X amount of time before the desired bean colour is achieved.

One would normally allow for coasting and that comes with experience.

Do remember the final colour is not the sole criteria for good roasts. Drop in time, drying time,time between first crack end & second start even smell all play their part in developing bean flavour.

One would normally allow for coasting and that comes with experience.

Do remember the final colour is not the sole criteria for good roasts. Drop in time, drying time,time between first crack end & second start even smell all play their part in developing bean flavour.

Thanks Ronsil for highlighting this. Loving all these variables :)

Early stages for me and so far enjoy the whole roasting process and am surprised with the results. Trying to keep this from getting too technical and using time, temperatures and senses.

I've been following BB guides profiles but will likely include a machine warm up stage and bean drying stage.