IGNORED

Todays Roast

iroko

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the Ethiopa Yirgacheffe today, tasted great in a flat white, very different from the beans I normally roast, Columbia Suarez or Brazilian Bourbon.

These are the first of the bb bulk buy I've roasted so I've got lots more different beans to try.

Tried the Ethiopa Yirgacheffe today, tasted great in a flat white, very different from the beans I normally roast, Columbia Suarez or Brazilian Bourbon.

These are the first of the bb bulk buy I've roasted so I've got lots more different beans to try.

Looking good iroko. Not knowing much about roast timings is the Yirgacheffe considered a medium roast?

That roast looks awesome iroko! I've got a Gene but I've never managed a decent roast of anything Ethiopian. Actually, I haven't managed a decent roast of any African beans at all - they always come out really unevenly roasted and chaffy.

Is there a specific roast profile you use? Any tips would be awesome!

hi

im a roaster for a living, and those are pretty impressive results, considering you cant hear any cracking, the cracking for me is a big part of my roasting and i take alot of my cues form that, i had a customer who could not get a great tsting roast from the genie, i wish then i could have forwarded this then, well done :)

I've got a Gene but I've never managed a decent roast of anything Ethiopian. Actually, I haven't managed a decent roast of any African beans at all - they always come out really unevenly roasted and chaffy.!

Have you tried reducing the quantities to say 225 grams. Can make for a much more even roast

That roast looks awesome iroko! I've got a Gene but I've never managed a decent roast of anything Ethiopian. Actually, I haven't managed a decent roast of any African beans at all - they always come out really unevenly roasted and chaffy.

Is there a specific roast profile you use? Any tips would be awesome!

for ethiopian mocha, or any soft bean, try less heat and a softer, slower profile.

In F or C the inner works & firmware are exactly the same. Weather running in F or C the stability is identical. Look up Genecafe on the old 'Coffeetime' Wicki. (Google it)There is masses written about it including the mods that can be carried out.

Whilst you are in the Wicki check out the old roasting logs circa 2008+. Many of us including some members on here contributed to these logs & they cover roasting profiles for dozens of beans.

Just remember that a major change took place for the Genecafe in the UK market in March 2007. Anything pre-dating this may not be completely reliable.

Whatever its still a great value for money machine & capable of very good results.

Surely the accuracy is the same but displaying in F just gives slightly better resolution. Does this improve the stability of the temp controller when holding a set temperature though?

you have a much more in depth profile, the c profiles i find are much more shallow, maybe later on today i will take a pic of the same roast in c and f, you will see that any changes are more pronounced in f than c.

you only have 230 digits in c, but 460 in f, so you have twice as much information.

of course you guys are used to roasting in c, and i would not suggest that you are wrong, as your roasting very good indeed, but only that i find you have more information with f, and any changes in heat or air will be more pronounced in the f profile, thus, enabling you to smooth out the profile even more, quick changes in heat and air are bad for taste, and in c, these up and downs are not as visible due to the shallow profile.