IGNORED

Are you a Home Roaster?

I always feel that this Home Roasting Forum is under used by real home roasters. With that in mind I thought it might be a good idea to find out who are the Home Roasters & what machinery they are using.

With sufficient interest this could lead to exchanging our roasted beans for appraisal, green bean discussion, profile exchange, equipment discussion & even joint purchases.

So initially to test the water, so to speak, I am asking all Home Roasters on CFUK to reply in this thread listing any roasting equipment they use. The roaster size should be a max of 1 kg load

Appended is a list, in no particular order, of all safe Home Roasting equipment that is available in the UK. If I have missed one please feel free to say so. I have deliberately left off the machines like the coffee bean roaster Lakeland used to sell because it is a fire hazard & you can only roast limited type pre prepared beans

Genecafe Original

Genecafe Modded

Behmor 1600

Imex CR100

Popcorn Popper

Popcorn Popper Modded

Roastilino Counter Top

I-Roast 1

I-Roast 2

Hottop D

Hottop B or B2

Hottop P or P2

Hottop B2-K

Hottop P2-K

Quest M3

Stainless Steel Bowl & Heatgun

Whirley Pop Roaster

BBQ Drum Roaster

Toper Cafemino 1 Kg hardly home machine but someone may have one.

Anything else homemade or imported.

I will collate the replies to give an indication of what is currently happening in the Home Roaster World for CFUK.

Happy roasting.:secret:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have:

Modded Gene

Weird Chinese roaster (shite)

Chinese Alpenroast Clone (shite)

Quest M3 (not bad)

Genecafe CBR1200 1kg Commercial Roaster (very good)

Nothing here...

Genecafe CBR1200 1kg Commercial Roaster

Wow!!. - Seen your picture of that on CG. Is it all manual, like its little brother, or can you set it up to control everything in advance.?

Don't want to sidetrack this thread but was really interested in that beauty.

Anyway folk please keep your roaster details rolling in. Don't be put off by the 'big' stuff, we want your input be it ever so humble,

Behmor 1600. Roasting 700g per week in two batches.

I've also owned the AlpenRoast (stopped using when neighbours kept calling the Fire Brigade) and the iRoast 1 & 2.

If the Behmor dies then I will buy the Gene Cafe (probably from Claudette)!

David

The Big Gencafe is similar ish in temperature control as the smaller Gene, but that's where the similarity ends. It has a bean hopper, to load beans after a computer controlled preheat, automatically (or manually), dumps the beans into a chute and into a cooling tray below (fan cooled), you can then roast (and cool at the same time) your next batch. Plus 2 heater buttons allowing you to turn a heater off, bean mass/chamber temperature. Unlike the Gene you don't remove the chamber to add/eject beans, only for cleaning.

It does roast really well, but of course this is the product of bean mass, with small bean masses 200-300g, it's very hard to get a good roast, as the bean mass reaches 1kg or larger, you tend to get better roasts from roasters.

Nothing here...

I have a Dieckmann aroma kaffee, which I believe is the one Lakeland used to sell.

I haven't used the pretreated chaff free beans since I used the ones that came with the machine.

Roasting on stainless steel hob with extractor hood on full power eliminates potential fire risk from the flying chaff!

I roast 300g of green coffee on a weekly basis and have done for the last two years.

The Big Gencafe is similar ish in temperature control as the smaller Gene, but that's where the similarity ends. It has a bean hopper, to load beans after a computer controlled preheat, automatically (or manually), dumps the beans into a chute and into a cooling tray below (fan cooled), you can then roast (and cool at the same time) your next batch. Plus 2 heater buttons allowing you to turn a heater off, bean mass/chamber temperature. Unlike the Gene you don't remove the chamber to add/eject beans, only for cleaning.

It does roast really well, but of course this is the product of bean mass, with small bean masses 200-300g, it's very hard to get a good roast, as the bean mass reaches 1kg or larger, you tend to get better roasts from roasters.

Is the Genecafe CBR1200 sold in the UK? The comment that bean mass needs to be higher than most home roasters manage, makes for a strong argument against them, doesn't it?

Qualifier... I know nothing (nada) about coffee roasting.

Gene Cafe Roaster, I roast 250g which lasts about 3-4 weeks, most of the time I go too dark to what I want, still tastes good to me though.

Interesting that more bean mass helps.

Interesting that more bean mass helps.

Think the greater the bean mass refers to the challenge of keeping on top of the process, i.e. the roast not running away with itself. With a smaller capacity roaster things like voltage stability and environmental temperature can have a notable effect on the roast outcome when it comes to repeatability. With a commercial sized roaster, it is easier to stay on top of the variables so the roaster can repeat a particular roast more or less exactly especially with the introduction of computer control which some home roasters come with as standard or after sales mod.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

I would hardly consider myself a home roaster but I do own a behmor which I bought second hand 6 months or so ago.

I've roasted 4 or 5 batches in that time and not been that impressed with any of them. They generally end up too dark or tasting too 'roasty' for my tastes.

I'm tempted to fire it back up again soon though for another try.

I've owned a Hottop B2-K for a few months, and roast 250g batches around once or twice a week (depending on how often I work from home, and coffee consumption increases). I buy nothing but green beans now.

I recently bought a "job lot" (12Kg) of Monsoon Malabar from Redber Coffee (at a good price, delivered) - as I'm particularly fond of it - and am roasting it dark/very dark. They sent me some Ethiopian Sidamo, which I'm also enjoying at the moment.

As the only coffee drinker in the house, my wife thinks I'm bonkers - but I guess that's not unusual for many members on here!

... and am roasting it dark/very dark ...

I too like a very dark roast. Probably my bean of choice is Old Brown Java but I am working my way through a 20kg mixed batch that I bought from BB.

David

I have

1 x Hottop P2 Modded full computer control.

1 x Hottop B2 or P2 (2 interchangeable control panels) Irrelevant really as also full computer control.

The second HT was purchased as a P2-K but had to take out K probe & retro fit an original button sensor. Hottop appear to have made a change to the P2-K Control Board which currently is not compatible with the added computer boards. Strangely there is no issue with the B2-K.

Here are the current machine totals as of todays date

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3306[/ATTACH]

Please keep posting

The comparatively small numbers quite amaze me, Ron. There must be a fairly substantial number of home roasters out there - certainly enough to keep Gene Cafes (and formerly Behmors) imported in considerable numbers, and a number of sellers retailing green beans. It just seems strange that anyone serious enough to roast their own doesn't get involved in this Forum, but that is obviously the case.

I seriously considered it but felt coffee is enough of an obsession without it taking even more of my time, besides I think I prefer to leave it to the experts

Ha ha that's a fair point.

I roast in a home made roaster. Roughly 300g a week.

The roaster is made up of a mini rotisserie oven, drum from a Behmor, k type temp probe for environmental temp (no bt probe yet) and I've had to make some changes to the heating element positions and altered the air flow. ...

I've been meaning to post some pics to get feedback on my roast but I won't hijack this thread with that.