Currently I am using a Eureka Mignon MkII which I got new from BB about 5 months ago to use with my Cherub. If I was to change to a Super Jolly would that be a worthy upgrade or would I really need to get something significantly better?

I have a chance to get an almost new SJ (Timer) and reckon I could make the change without much cost if its worthwhile... Any thoughts?

I must say, I am not unhappy with the Eureka, and quite like the simplicity but you know what this hobby is like! My intention is to weigh and grind on demand as I do with the mignon.

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

Well the burr size will give you a better grind, depends on what the price of the SJ is to be honest. If you want new or early new, but I suspect there are better value bargains to be had to a new price costing SJ. There will have been one at the grind off , have a look at the sticky on the thread and see how it comes out .

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Thanks Mrboots2u. Good point - cost £275 delivered and its barely used and still with the box...

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

The SJ wont produce Malteasers. Thats a decent price

@garydyke1

Mignon better in the cup though according to grind off folks. I'd be tempted to change at that price!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Mignon better in the cup though according to grind off folks. I'd be tempted to change at that price!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Actually the mignon was not better in the cup, the shot pulled on the mignon as with the royal were the only two properly pulled shots on the day as per the roasters recommendations, I know because I pulled them, the mazzer is a better grinder all round over the mignon.....

AKA Toffee chips

Well I'm looking for a grinder, if your not interested I would be :)

Hi derf it might not be to your tastes but ill be more than likely disposing of the magnum in the next week , better than an SJ ? Coffee chap what so you think :)

Instagram - rjw_inc

And wobin , good price , defo better than a mignon in terms of grind quality . You gonna go for it

Instagram - rjw_inc

And wobin , good price , defo better than a mignon in terms of grind quality . You gonna go for it

apart from the clumps on the mignon which need a stir, how far better is the grind quality ?

17.36 % better? It's entirely subjective, have and a play with one not over a massive period ,more fluffy , less clumps , slightly more defined taste. At the price being offered, with money back on the mignion defo worth a punt. the SJ would most of its value of moved on anyway. if your not loosing alot of money or beeaking even trying these things out its worth it. Did you see a difference when you went from the mignion to the MDL for a short period if so how much

Instagram - rjw_inc

Slightly better with the MDL, but was not really a fair contest as the MDL had very sharp burrs and the mignon had very worn out burrs (which i have now replaced) identicle tastes but way way faster at grinding was the MDL, 4 times faster probably

Like I said its subjective , and some of it will come down to other apects. Have a k30 next to the magnum now, which produces the better fluffier grind? currently id say the magnum, but its early days for the k30 .Which wins on speed and ease of use . K30 . S different things to way up. Like I said at that price if he wanted to upgrade or go back to a mignion he'd get most if not all his money back , so worth a punt , try it for the experience.

Instagram - rjw_inc

In my own experience the SJ does not produce a better cup that the Mignon. However being doserless the Mignon needs more work to get it right due to clumping/distribution issues. Bear in mind if the SJ was doserless it would have the same issues - there are enough videos online showing clumping with doserless mods. However for single dosing there is also a lot of work required to clean out, esp with the poor Mazzer sweepers which really are not good enough.

The SJ will last a lifetime in a home though so at that price would be a good investment. IMHO the reason people get so excited by Mazzers is that you can pick up used ones relatively easily for a cheap price, not due to quality of grind (compared to relative competitors).

Liking that K30 a lot. without the hopper it looks quite space saving. does not look that big in depth or am i wrong

As forzajuve demonstrates all subjective and personal opinion, no wrong , no right :) . What it the k30 like for size , it's still pretty big , but round so deceiving really. Looks more kitchen friendly I suppose In design terms ( like a big juicer ? ) . Not really played with it enough to have a fair opinion of it yet though, I do like the mech tho.

Instagram - rjw_inc

In my own experience the SJ does not produce a better cup that the Mignon. However being doserless the Mignon needs more work to get it right due to clumping/distribution issues. Bear in mind if the SJ was doserless it would have the same issues - there are enough videos online showing clumping with doserless mods. However for single dosing there is also a lot of work required to clean out, esp with the poor Mazzer sweepers which really are not good enough.

The SJ will last a lifetime in a home though so at that price would be a good investment. IMHO the reason people get so excited by Mazzers is that you can pick up used ones relatively easily for a cheap price, not due to quality of grind (compared to relative competitors).

Really? I have tried both side by side, the mazzer grinds are fluffier, cooler, more consistent, so I just can't see how the mignon makes a better brew, plus the mignon is one of the clumsiest grinders on earth and as such you have to stir the grinds, a modded mazzer( which is very easy to do) will not only sweep clean but will have no retention either.

AKA Toffee chips

La cimbali magnum is a much better grinder than the mazzer, 75 mm burrs bigger motor super fluffy grinds, probably better grind consistency than the k30

AKA Toffee chips

Really? I have tried both side by side, the mazzer grinds are fluffier, cooler, more consistent, so I just can't see how the mignon makes a better brew, plus the mignon is one of the clumsiest grinders on earth and as such you have to stir the grinds, a modded mazzer( which is very easy to do) will not only sweep clean but will have no retention either.

That's what I mean, both need modding in some way to get what you want and is more the usual doser vs doserless argument. I haven't seen how it is just as good as a SJ either, just tasted it :)

It was the "comparable taste to Mazzer Royal" comment - i know it's a faff having to stir your grinds etc but thought that said something about the underlying quality.

It was the "comparable taste to Mazzer Royal" comment - i know it's a faff having to stir your grinds etc but thought that said something about the underlying quality.

Assuming this was from the grind off data sheet - funny things happened there and the reason the mignon did so well was the fact the Royal and the Mignon both had shots pulled in a shorter parameter that suited Jampit, shame really as for me the ultimate selling point of the grinder is the cup quality.

Londinium 1 - Rocket Giotto Evoluzione - Victoria Arduino Mythos - Mahlkönig K30 Vario

Hario V60 Decanter - V60 01 Ceramic - Hario Mini Mill Slim - Bodum FP

Wow, thanks for all the discussion - loads of food for thought there. At the price I think it would be rude not to give it a go and I can hang on the Mignon, then decide. As pointed out, there is nothing to lose really. If I am honest the only thing that concerns me is the faff of the mods, but Coffee Chap Dave has pointed out they are very easy to do. I am not great at fiddly things so may need some help on that later...

Rocket R58 & Versalab M3

I will help when the time comes

AKA Toffee chips