• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Concrete slab was poured this weekend Got next week off to get the oven on and the rest of it built Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fired up the oven after insulating this weekend It got up to about 450c. The fire went out at 8pm last night. This morning the oven was still at 255c, tonight it was at 150c. A beast to tame

Great day for it yesterday Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted Images

For anyone needing caputo or similar, adimaria get stock every week and good service. Getting good results with an overnight proof, really thin and big crust, grated mozzarella not as good as the balls though but couldn’t get any!

a29b5af2b6c4ad37d30dd18eb6845b18.jpg
12316a6a07e39f016e7a5df5d8cda7ec.jpg
fc696b35c75f8933c60933c6c5c2af86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
For anyone needing caputo or similar, adimaria get stock every week and good service. Getting good results with an overnight proof, really thin and big crust, grated mozzarella not as good as the balls though but couldn’t get any!

a29b5af2b6c4ad37d30dd18eb6845b18.jpg
12316a6a07e39f016e7a5df5d8cda7ec.jpg
fc696b35c75f8933c60933c6c5c2af86.jpg

Adimaria do a 1kg block of mozzarella which should be better than grated.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here we go ... ordered a 16" by 3/8" sheet of mild steel and just seasoned it in the oven! Very excited to see how it works!

Ooni 14" peel and IR thermometer coming soon. 

Oh quick question, I'm reading advice to say this should be cooked using the "broiler", and very unclear what this Americanism means. It's just the grill right? So I need to put the grill on max, wait a while for the steel to heat up, then put the pizza in (leaving the grill on max)?

20200501_172601.jpg

Edited by Michael87

That’s right - “broiler” is just an Americanism for the grill. So just turn up your oven to the highest temperature possible, and leave it for a while to ensure the steel is heated through, then cook your pizza(s). If you’re using the grill function, I’d recommend having the stone on the lowest rack so you don’t overcook the top of your pizza, but ovens vary so you may find different positioning works better.

• Thanks 1

That’s right - “broiler” is just an Americanism for the grill. So just turn up your oven to the highest temperature possible, and leave it for a while to ensure the steel is heated through, then cook your pizza(s). If you’re using the grill function, I’d recommend having the stone on the lowest rack so you don’t overcook the top of your pizza, but ovens vary so you may find different positioning works better.

On 22/04/2020 at 19:23, KTD said:

Thanks for the adimaria tip - have been trying and struggling to get any Caputo flour

Had some fresh yeast so thought I'd try the Franco manca recipe. Results pretty good and so was taste but thought I'd ask the experts here what may have gone wrong.
Recipe was:
500g Type 0 flour
13g salt
7.9gr fresh yeast
15ml oil
330ml water
Combine and leave for 15 min
Knead for 5 min and leave for 1hr RT
Stretch and fold and leave in airtight container for 16hrs 23°C ambient temp
Next day split and form into balls, leave for 2hrs and cook.

Now my dough had totally collapsed after the overnight step and was super sticky and when stretching out it was very prone to ripping. Could it have been the temp? I'm sure the salt didn't kill the yeast as I added it separately and it has worked a treat during the first 1hr rising step.
With bread I'd never leave at RT if overnight but thought I'd follow the recipe...

fe3632aae82dca3b23e104b30e71d411.jpga7f48b68e4d49087610a15213c417316.jpg6de8bf64759992449e773cadec8f1e27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm getting better at this... a lot of cooking with the steel seems to be oven management. Preheat, then turbocharge the steel with the grill and the door ajar to stop the thermostat cycling it off, then switch to convection and pizza in. Then back to grill if the toppings need a final kick.

With this I measured a steel temperature of 360 degC! Amazing

Here's one of my latest.
I ran out of bread flour so this was done with plain flour. Came out much better than expected.

Still using a conventional oven but looking at a Roccbox. 7c1caf40fe666d014e17582d03e3575f.jpgcf53343c22640a1ed6db4776a4b193c1.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Trying out my new Baking Steel with 72hr cold ferment no knead dough. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out, used fresh yeast for the first time (charmed it off the baker on the Morrison’s bread counter). Tasted amazing [emoji1786]

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, mmmatron said:

Trying out my new Baking Steel with 72hr cold ferment no knead dough. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out, used fresh yeast for the first time (charmed it off the baker on the Morrison’s bread counter). Tasted amazing emoji1786.png

POIDH

Trying out my new Baking Steel with 72hr cold ferment no knead dough. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out, used fresh yeast for the first time (charmed it off the baker on the Morrison’s bread counter). Tasted amazing [emoji1786]
Hope you kept some yeast back to feed. [emoji848]