Mike mc

Home made pizza thread

Loads more pizzas this evening

efe2af38a924016a5625dba272f2a718.jpg
a7f018e7b6652b9390a2df08040e85db.jpg
4fbdfba19461017b889d66086627f67f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

🤪 are you delivering in those boxes during lockdown?

Another one... 4-day cold ferment, slightly higher hydration, tasted better than previous attempts!

568580de33bed99d63d059d807267ef3.jpg

• Like 1

Londinium I, Titus grinder, BWT MG2+ water filter

Had some fresh yeast so thought I'd try the Franco manca recipe. Results pretty good and so was taste but thought I'd ask the experts here what may have gone wrong.
Recipe was:
500g Type 0 flour
13g salt
7.9gr fresh yeast
15ml oil
330ml water
Combine and leave for 15 min
Knead for 5 min and leave for 1hr RT
Stretch and fold and leave in airtight container for 16hrs 23°C ambient temp
Next day split and form into balls, leave for 2hrs and cook.

Now my dough had totally collapsed after the overnight step and was super sticky and when stretching out it was very prone to ripping. Could it have been the temp? I'm sure the salt didn't kill the yeast as I added it separately and it has worked a treat during the first 1hr rising step.
With bread I'd never leave at RT if overnight but thought I'd follow the recipe...

fe3632aae82dca3b23e104b30e71d411.jpga7f48b68e4d49087610a15213c417316.jpg6de8bf64759992449e773cadec8f1e27.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LR - EK43S; Aergrind; Comandante MK3 - Syphon & V60 - patience

I'm getting better at this... a lot of cooking with the steel seems to be oven management. Preheat, then turbocharge the steel with the grill and the door ajar to stop the thermostat cycling it off, then switch to convection and pizza in. Then back to grill if the toppings need a final kick.

With this I measured a steel temperature of 360 degC! Amazing

Here's one of my latest.
I ran out of bread flour so this was done with plain flour. Came out much better than expected.

Still using a conventional oven but looking at a Roccbox. 7c1caf40fe666d014e17582d03e3575f.jpgcf53343c22640a1ed6db4776a4b193c1.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Trying out my new Baking Steel with 72hr cold ferment no knead dough. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out, used fresh yeast for the first time (charmed it off the baker on the Morrison’s bread counter). Tasted amazing

• Like 1

DE1+, Monolith conical

45 minutes ago, mmmatron said:

Trying out my new Baking Steel with 72hr cold ferment no knead dough. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out, used fresh yeast for the first time (charmed it off the baker on the Morrison’s bread counter). Tasted amazing emoji1786.png

POIDH

POIDH

Oh bugger...took me ages to realise I hadn’t added the photo...
84ebc1410ca63b402bd8f739cfd30bee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

DE1+, Monolith conical

Trying out my new Baking Steel with 72hr cold ferment no knead dough. Wasn’t sure how it would turn out, used fresh yeast for the first time (charmed it off the baker on the Morrison’s bread counter). Tasted amazing
Hope you kept some yeast back to feed.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Seen a few white pizzas round and about, would be ideal for hubby so, if you make 'em, any chance you can tell me what to use instead of a tomato sauce please?

Cheers!

On 25/05/2020 at 13:16, DDoe said:

Seen a few white pizzas round and about, would be ideal for hubby so, if you make 'em, any chance you can tell me what to use instead of a tomato sauce please?

Cheers!

just use a bechemel (cheese sauce!) I've made a few, unfortunately no pictures I'm afraid, and have mixed opinions on them! 

On 25/05/2020 at 13:16, DDoe said:

Cheers!

The one I did was just garlic butter and mozzarella.

DE1+, Monolith conical

Started to use the ooni gas burner rather than pellets. Much quicker and cleaner, not really missing the wood smoke. Getting some lovely charred pizza.

89043082-B003-4428-91EF-B1114F33CB15.jpeg

• Like 1

DE1+, Monolith conical

Posted (edited)

No pics but I had a nice little victory tonight. One of my step-daughters has autism and is severely restricted in what she will eat but pepperoni pizza is one thing she loves. She generally refuses any kind of vegetables but will eat pizza with tomato sauce. 

I decided to try and make them some decent pizzas with a little more nutrition. I made Sourdough pizza dough with some wholemeal rye starter and good 00 and Semolina flour and olive oil, fermented over a couple of days, then bought a big bag of Fior Di Latte, Pepperoni and San Marzano tomatoes from A Di Maria. I sneaked some carrot and peppers into the tomato sauce along with garlic and onion and blended it up. 

I did a batch of 4 large pizzas and froze them. They tried the first one tonight and I was a bit apprehensive but they absolutely loved it and wolfed it down. Sorry for the essay but it's quite a breakthrough getting so much nutrition down her and for her to actually enjoy it was great. 😊

Edited by grumble
  • Like 5

Any recommendations for a smallish (30cm round) pizza steel? can't seem to find a reasonably priced one at the moment and the stones can't seem to take the heat of my pizza oven and keep cracking. 

La Pavoni Europiccola - Mignon Manuale - La Pavoni Zip - Gaggia Classic - Nanopresso - Osmio Zero

36hr dough fermentation and all cooked in 2 minutes. 

FCEFD144-268B-4A67-A003-B9AE3EED4E55_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4d3d8ddca6c6dc36bffba71ec907fcda.jpeg

• Like 1

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

3 hours ago, The Systemic Kid said:

36hr dough fermentation and all cooked in 2 minutes. 

FCEFD144-268B-4A67-A003-B9AE3EED4E55_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4d3d8ddca6c6dc36bffba71ec907fcda.jpeg

I make the odd pizza myself. I make the bases and everyone else puts their own toppings on. It's good fun.

What recipe are you using for such long fermentation times?

On 22/06/2020 at 20:37, grumble said:

I sneaked some carrot and peppers into the tomato sauce along with garlic and onion and blended it up. 

😊

I batch cook dinners for my 2 girls and I'm lucky that they both eat all the veggies regardless of how they're prepared, but through experimenting with different dishes I've found a great way of getting them to eat any veg. 

Shredding. 

It works great with lots of dishes, especially pizzas.  Carrots, parsnips, celery, broccoli, whatever can be shredded can be added to any dish and the kids are none the wiser. 😁

Spinach is a great veg for pizza though, hide it under the cheese 😂

My favourite homemade pizza sauce is made of 50% carrot. 1 part tomatoes to 1 part shredded carrot, bit of garlic, shallots, salt, pepper, basil and oregano nom nom. 😋

• Thanks 1

Last pizzas I made, not my best but tasty. 😋 It's funny how once you make pizza from scratch you never get the craving to "order pizza" anytime afterwards!? It's like "sure mine are better,  I'll just make one!" 😂

IMG_20200624_155053.jpg

• Like 1

Late to the party but one thing I’ll say of lockdown is that it’s really honed my pizza making skills. Kind of gave up on pizza after becoming vegan, mainly because vegan cheese sucks so badly. Started off with no cheese pizzas that were ok, then found if you really limit the amount of fake cheese to a sprinkling it does the trick.
First bases came out like mighty white bread! I’ve got the bread machine dough dialled now. 50/50 wholemeal/white flour.
I found that capers just make any pizza taste so classy too.
This pizza has capers, black olives, vegan chorizo (which is 50% as good as the real thing but still great) red onion and garden grown basil. Utterly magic.
e3cb1c4ab10403005ede929e2713f0b7.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips @superneat will try some more of that.

First go with my new Koda!

Need to get better at not setting them on fire at the start but very pleased so far.

1196321686_Screenshot2020-08-03at18_29_45.thumb.png.a1073f83cb383a93246820274cd30557.png

I'm using the foodgeek sourdough recipe - https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-pizza-recipe/

Anyone got any tips as to what stage in the process it's best to freeze pizza dough?