Mike mc

Home made pizza thread

Pics of another I made on Friday.wasnt impressed how this one turned out.i took out 100grams of the 00 flour and replaced it with fine semolina.the texture was completely different and found the dough to be more runny than when made with all flour.quite strange as ive read numerous times that its better with semolina added.

y6yzuqab.jpg

Pics of another I made on Friday.wasnt impressed how this one turned out.i took out 100grams of the 00 flour and replaced it with fine semolina.the texture was completely different and found the dough to be more runny than when made with all flour.quite strange as ive read numerous times that its better with semolina added.

Maybe there was too much water in the mix??

Adding semolina makes for a more chewy pizza base - been using it in the ratio of 7oz white flour plus 4oz semolina - gives a decent elastic dough and great pizza base. Going for something different tonight - going to try using 00 flour plus semolina in the ratio of 1:4 semolina to white flour.

Londinium-R - EKS43 running SSP Silver Knight burrs

Maybe there was too much water in the mix??

Adding semolina makes for a more chewy pizza base - been using it in the ratio of 7oz white flour plus 4oz semolina - gives a decent elastic dough and great pizza base. Going for something different tonight - going to try using 00 flour plus semolina in the ratio of 1:4 semolina to white flour.

Yes maybe it needed to be reduced when adding the semolina.i followed the recipe exact thou first time round was miles better with all 00 flour.this is the recipe I used but halved it as it would go to waste

1 kg white bread flour or Tipo '00' flour, or 800g strong white bread flour or Tipo '00' flour, plus 200g finely ground semolina flour

1 teaspoon fine sea salt

2 x 7 g dried yeast sachets

1 tablespoon golden caster sugar

4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

650 ml lukewarm water

65% hydration will make for a runnier dough and be slightly harder to work with - temptation to add more flour to stop the dough sticking whilst needing. My stock sourdough recipe uses 60% hydration (300grms water to 500grms of flour).

65% hydration will make for a runnier dough and be slightly harder to work with - temptation to add more flour to stop the dough sticking whilst needing. My stock sourdough recipe uses 60% hydration (300grms water to 500grms of flour).

I will give your recommendation a try next week then and reduce the water to 300ml along with 500g of 00 flour.thanks

I will give your recommendation a try next week then and reduce the water to 300ml along with 500g of 00 flour.thanks

Might be worth checking with the kid what flour he is using before following. '00 flour will require more for a given hydration

Expobar Brewtus IV | Mazzer Super Jolly

I had a really super pizza at our local the other night and have been craving another so inspired by this thread I got the OH to make me one. We have just eaten it an it was v. nice. No pizza stone or the like, just done on a baking tray in the oven. He just made up the ingredients for the tomato base which he cooked from scratch and used a Paul Hollywood recipe for the base. Some prosciutto on top.

It could do with the base being thinner, but otherwise was great. :)

Izzo vivi pid, Mahlkonig vario, kalita uno, clever dropper, porlex mini.

I usually just get ready made pizza dough and tomato sauce and put it all together with toppings of my choice, I know it's cheating but it also gives the illusion of having made it yourself :D

Was going to try Type 00 flour last night but it was listed as 'pasta flour' which has a lower gluten content so stuck with my trusty Doves organic strong white. I make the dough with 25% semolina flour for a nice chewy light texture - this is the result.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3034[/ATTACH]

Was going to try Type 00 flour last night but it was listed as 'pasta flour' which has a lower gluten content so stuck with my trusty Doves organic strong white. I make the dough with 25% semolina flour for a nice chewy light texture - this is the result.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3035[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3034[/ATTACH]

Looks nice.Was the 00 flour sainsburys own ? As it has durum added and aimed more towards making fresh pasta.mcdougals do a 00 flour with no added extras, which is what I have been using.im going to order some Italian caputo 00 flour online

Looks tempting Mike - base looks crisp and the dough has pretty big bubbles in. How much water did you use in the dough?

Looks tempting Mike - base looks crisp and the dough has pretty big bubbles in. How much water did you use in the dough?

I used 325ml along with 500g of 00 flour.i always use the Jamie Oliver recipe for the dough.it was a lot more bubbly tonight than previous attempts.not sure if the higher room temps whilst resting had anything to do with how the dough turned out

Thanks. Think. I will give 00 flour a go next time.

We just polished off pizzas made with my wd-06 Belgian Wheatbeer yeast in the dough. The first 3 hrs fermentation / rise smelled mega funky and fruity but it settled down to fairly tame standard bready notes after 7 hrs.

We rolled the dough out to about 3mm and the first attempts ended up like pitta breads, 2 layers and an airpocket! Remedied this with an additional rest post rolling.

Super thin, super crisp & a fine selection of salamis and mozzarella from our butcher who personally imports them from the town near his holiday home in Italy. The venision 24 month matured sausage is awesome!

@garydyke1

Gary, you've got it the wrong way round - the dough isn't supposed to get pissed - you are.:liquor::liquor:

Thanks. Think. I will give 00 flour a go next time.

If you go to sainsburys they do a mcdougals 00 flour for £1.60.i struggled to find it elsewhere

If there's an Italian deli near you try them - they usually sell 00.

I start the base in a non stick frying pan while adding sauce and toppings then after a couple of minutes slide it onto the hot stone in the oven

getting fantastic results, and for a sauce using Jamies America recipe and everyone loves it

fracino little gem, Handpresso Wild, MAZZER SJ, custom Bialetti knockbox. heft walnut ,made by knock.

Gary, you've got it the wrong way round - the dough isn't supposed to get pissed - you are.:liquor::liquor:

Lol. Ive used bread and wild yeasts to ferment beer and beer yeasts to bake bread.... great results

@garydyke1

Another few pics guys from tonight's pizza.these are definitely improving taste wise due to tweaking the settings on the oven jesa5u7u.jpg

uta4uqu3.jpg

Very impressed.

Here's a question from a novice - how do you get the pizza off the slab onto the baking stone?

(I have a terracotta baking stone but my attempts to get the pizza onto it have ranged from the messy to the disastrous)

Londinium I, Mazzer Mini E, Claris Everpure, Aeropress, Cafétière.

Very impressed.

Here's a question from a novice - how do you get the pizza off the slab onto the baking stone?

(I have a terracotta baking stone but my attempts to get the pizza onto it have ranged from the messy to the disastrous)

Dust your peel or baking sheet with plenty of semolina. Normal flour works in the same way but semolina adds some texture to the bottom of the pizza base. Once you have constructed your pizza (with the flour/semolina underneath) give the peel/baking sheet a shake to make sure the pizza isn't stuck. Then it's just a case of a good confident transfer of the pizza onto the stone.

Very impressed.

I use one of these pizza ovens that are imported from Italy G3 Ferrari G10006 Delizia Pizza Oven - 1200W in Red

http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B002VA4CDI

I roll the dough out then transfer it to the well floured paddle then just a case of sliding it on