Ooooh, I didn't realise you can mod the Cuisinart! I've one of those lying around at home so will need to investigate

I used to have a cuisinart grinder which was bought for me by a well intentioned relative, I did the modd to make it grind finer which basically a case of fitting a shim/shims depending on what material you use, I made one from the plastic off a milk carton. All this said it will grind a lot finer then.BUT. its still not great for espresso I upgraded to an MC2 from the modded Cuisinart and even using my Cubika plus, which I used to take on the road with me whilst on tour, and with the Classic it was night and day in terms of difference, far far too many fines from the cuisinart and if you mod it, it wont then grind coarsely very well.

At then end of the day you pay your money and you take your choice, in my opinion if you buy and mod a Cuisinart for £53 you will then end up wanting something better in a couple of months and go after say a second hand MC2 at around £80, so a total cost of ~£123 for both as you won't get much at all if anything for the Cuisinart when you move on , wheras if you buy a used MC2 for £70-80 it will still most likely be worth that when you want to upgrade.

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with everyone that doesn't have it !!!

Something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251333614440?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 is also well worth considering in the just above £50 bracket. I've seen two or three of these go for c.£75 in the last month or two.

Is that one of the sunbeam ones ?

I write a blog, it's nothing to do with coffee ...

https://rjwinc.wordpress.com

Instagram - rjw_inc

Was looking for something for the office for a mocca master , would any of these krupps or cusinart do ? Any opinions?

Instagram - rjw_inc

I had a Barista for three years until yesterday and it was a fantastic wee grinder even yesterday as I was showing it to its new owner

I pulled some lovely shots with the ground coffee on my fracino.Once modded its fine and more than capable, definitely fantastic value!!

only thing is they are getting harder to come by

fracino little gem, Handpresso Wild, MAZZER SJ, custom Bialetti knockbox. heft walnut ,made by knock.

Was looking for something for the office for a mocca master , would any of these krupps or cusinart do ? Any opinions?

The Cuisinart feels well made but the grind consistency isn't very good (even on a course setting). I mostly keep mine so I can grind the beans for people at work when they accidentally buy their supermarket coffee wholebean instead of pre-ground (they know I have a grinder). Basically I don't want my normal grinder being seasoned by Starbucks latest extra burnt blend!

I used to have a cuisinart grinder which was bought for me by a well intentioned relative, I did the modd to make it grind finer which basically a case of fitting a shim/shims depending on what material you use, I made one from the plastic off a milk carton. All this said it will grind a lot finer then.

Did the mod improve the consistency of the grinds? I'm suspecting not if it just moves the burrs closer together? I'm only looking for something for brewed coffee so not interested in making it suitable for espresso.

Did the mod improve the consistency of the grinds? I'm suspecting not if it just moves the burrs closer together? I'm only looking for something for brewed coffee so not interested in making it suitable for espresso.

Yeah looking for a cheap electronic brew option too .

Instagram - rjw_inc

I can answer about the grind consistancy. Actually, for a cheap machine, it's not bad and indeed, there are two mods. But the mods just make the grind finer, not better quality.

Mod 1. The simple one, break off the stops which limit how you can turn the grinder to move the burrs together -

Mod 2. or do it 'properly' by putting a disc behind the burr, thus moving them together.

It will suffice but that's it. Nothing more. But people must accept that if the man has just a 50 pound budget he may have to do something like this. The bigger problem for me was the static which sent the coffee everywhere which os why I gave my father in law one of my grinders.

I find the static manageable however it really highlights the grind inconsistency to me as it's only the fines that are affected

Yep that is a k3 and was a bargain

AKA Toffee chips

I had a Krups GVX2 delivered today which I'm using for a Moka Pot stove-top. It's very good with a nice consistent grind and no fines flying about due to static. Easy controls for grind size and number of cups with auto stop when the number of cups is done. My only criticism so far is that the top underside of the lower compartment has a sprung nipple which has already put a scratch on the top of the grounds collector/doser. Other than that all well and good. £36 from Amazon or Debenhams. But for Espresso I still stand by manual or MC2.

Bialetti Moka Express; Clever Coffee Dripper; Vietnamese Phin drip filter; Hario Skerton burr hand grinder; Krups GVX2 burr grinder. R.I.P. Chemex gone to Save The Children charity shop.