Glenn

Its not 'uncool' to be a coffee geek

6 months ago people would have thought you were weird for not drinking instant, but now it seems to be socially acceptable.

I'm known in the office as a coffee geek and people know not to even offer me a coffee when doing the hot-drink rounds, such a reputation has even spread to some suppliers who will check what 'chain' I will drink at when offering to take me out for coffee or a meeting.

What has caused this shift in acceptance of beliefs? (not that I'm complaining!)

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

Maybe your hobby has done no harm or even benefited them! :D

It has certainly benefited them as now more people have a appreciation of quality coffee.

However, they now pay more for their coffee habit than ever before so I should be getting a kickback from the local chain store!

Home Barista Training - contact me to discuss your requirements

I think it's probably a combination of things.

Firstly they've obviously come to realise that it's not a passing fad or hobby, you've shown dedication that has garnered some respect for this facet of your life, it's something i slowly went through, and still do with some people!

The other thing is the general growth of high end food, witi chefs like marco pierre and ramsay teaching people quality is important, we are finally feeling teh ripples in the coffee industry, good news all around!

Unemployed barista with a measley; Aeropress, Hario Skerton Handgrinder, anonymous cafetierre and ACF cups

I agree. I think Coffee, to many customers at the shop, is a niche and special product. Much as you'd get with a meal at a quality restaurant. But there still remains the hoard of uninformed people who ask for "large" or "medium" options, and who seem surprised at how we prepare drinks. The chains seem to have pummeled these mythical sizes into the market , something that you dont find in other areas of catering. You don't go into a bar and ask for a "Small" pint, simply a Half or full Pint.

This really grinds my gears.

I dont want to sound like Blair, but...

EDUCATION, EDUCATION, EDUCATION!