Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'dial'.
I am having issues with grind adjustment on my grinder. When I adjust the dial, the dial will turn freely when through zero and past the highest setting. Is this normal? I imagine it shouldn't turn beyond zero or beyond the highest setting. Anyone have any advice on this and how to potentially fix this issue? Do the burrs need adjusted? Does the dial need tightening somehow?
As you know I'm relatively new to this lark. I understand that beans require dialling in and I also understand that this can vary during the day. my question is, for us home enthusiasts, do you ditch the shots that aren't quite right or do you accept them? i tend to accept them unless they've gone terribly wrong but I can only learn so much from this for next time. This is because the next time I use the machine it may be more humid, hotter etc. im just curious more than anything else
If you own a Mignon you'll know that making small adjustments to the grind setting is hampered by the small knob. Ahem. You'll also know that the dial gauge is borderline useless, numbered 1-6 with no gauge or pointer. It is therefore impossible to meaningfully take note of your grind setting once dialled in, which would allow for running different beans on espresso concurrently, running through the odd filter grind or keeping note of settings as a start point should you get the same coffee in future. My solution is a larger, 60mm rather than 24mm, knob which is fitted over the original and secured with 2 grub screws. Installed / removed in seconds with no damage or permanent alteration to the grinder. Sitting atop is a laser engraved aluminium dial numbered 1-100. Each 1 point adjustment of the 60mm knob is equivalent to a 0.75mm nudge of the standard one. A simple strip of mirror finish stainless fixed with double sided tape serves as a pointer. My intention starting this project was not to make money, just to get more from my grinder. As it turned out making a one off would have been rather pricey so I've decided to make a small batch to reduce unit price and hopefully reward the time I've invested. More to follow.. I'm really pleased with how the 'prototype' has turned out.