Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'descaling dual boiler'.
Found 2 results
So I finally got to decaling the brewtus and foolishly thought it would be easy. I had the idea of syphoning the descaler in and out after a few hours before flushing. In my mind this would have been a lot quicker and easier than running the pump. Turns out I couldn't get he wrench on anything and even if I could I wouldn't have been comfortable with removing anything on there. Can anybody give me a tip here? What's easiest and best to remove? I was thinking the manometer fitting on the brew boiler and temp probe on the steam boiler, but could go for the vacuum breaker too. Also, I was going to up steam pressure while I had it open but it doesn't seem to want to turn. Clockwise to up the pressure? Does it have something on it to prevent it from turning (that will cause it to break if forced?). UPDATE: It turned out to be easy. I got a pair of grip pliers onto the silver nut which sits against the boiler (first picture front left) and put a small adjustable wrench on the brass nut. It turned off easily enough and the little brew manometer tube moved over to the side to allow access straight down into the boiler. There was no sealant on the threads to worry about replacing. I used a basic syphon tube from wilko with a straw shoved into the tap that came with it (the tube is a little too big to fit into the boiler). You could simply suck all of the water out through a straw if you don't have a syphon tube. An alternative is to use the teflon tubes that connect to the pump as they fit in the little hole too. I drained the steam boiler through the tap. After reconnecting the manometer I ran some descaler through the whole thing (steam tap, wand and brew head, with a backflush just to be sure the manometer gets the treatment) and I'm now sitting here waiting for a couple of hours to drain it.
I just got a used Leva Dual and decided to descale it. While investigating a slight hiss from the vacuum valve I stumbled upon a technique that I'll definitely use again. Descaling process was as follows; 1) Open machine, ensure both boilers are depressurised, remove vacuum breaker valve from steam boiler and pressure gauge feed from brew boiler 2) Use a length of hose to drain both boilers. (Brake bleeding vacuum pump keeps hot water away from fingers and mouth and sucks out the bottom of the boiler) 3) Use funnel and hose to refill both boilers (to 80% full) with descaling solution 4) Replace vacuum valve and pressure gauge feed. 5) With descaling solution in the reservoir, turn the machine on and allow the steam boiler to auto fill then turn the pump on to fill the brew boiler (until water runs through the group head) 6) Allow the machine to reach operating temperature, run descaling solution through hot water tap, steam tap and group then turn off and allow to sit (length dependant on scale level) 7) Fill reservoir with fresh water, turn on machine and run some water through the group. Turn off. 8) Open depressurised boilers, drain, refill (80%) with fresh water, seal boilers. 9) Turn machine on, fill boilers (per step 5) and once at operating temperature run water through group, turn off, then depressurise steam boiler through both taps. 10) Repeat steps 8 & 9 but this time use some PTFE tape to seal the vacuum breaker valve. A bit of a faff but seems easier than using vibration pump on and off. I would've done this on my old HX machine too as it took so many cycles to fully remove acid.