Londinium Espresso

Thread: DIY naked portafilter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Default DIY naked portafilter

I've made one of these before for my old Gaggia Factory lever machine (now with fatboyslim) but didn't really take any pictures of the progress.

My Duetto came with two portafilters, a single spout and a double spout. I figured that considering its so easy to direct both streams from a double spout into one cup I wouldn't really need the single spout, so that one was to be chopped.

Izzo seal the spout on with some crazy strong locktight type glue - you can see here that I'd bent the spout trying to remove it with a spanner.

The only option was to use a vice to remove it leaving the threads bare underneath:

In order to keep the hole saw centred I first cut a piece of wood to jam into the portafilter leaving a nice guide hole in the middle:

Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Then using a hand tightened vice to keep it stable I started cutting with the hole saw in a pillar drill. I guess you could use a normal drill too it's just quite a slow process so using the pillar drill is more convenient. This is after about 15 mins cutting - part way through:

Almost there - you can see where it's about to break through:

A bit longer:

Not a perfect finish but pretty good and I can easily tidy it up a bit with a Dremel and some wet and dry paper.

Also - the hole saw was pretty blunt by the end so don't expect to use it again!
    Roy & Alex & The Maestro & Herman ze Hausgrind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Finished product looks great, nice clean lines
    Londinium 1 - Rocket Giotto Evoluzione - Victoria Arduino Mythos - Mahlkönig K30 Vario

Hario V60 Decanter - V60 01 Ceramic - Hario Mini Mill Slim - Bodum FP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

I'm thinking of a DIY job on my Gaggia Classic PF. Not sure whether to use a 44mm or 51mm hole saw. The perforations in the bottom of the Gaggia double basket are 44mm diameter, and the same on the IMS basket. Wondering if a 44mm hole could cut down a bit on spritzing...?

Opinions?
    Gaggia Baby 2002 and 2005, Mazzer Major, Motta 58.4mm tamper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by les24preludes View Post
    I'm thinking of a DIY job on my Gaggia Classic PF. Not sure whether to use a 44mm or 51mm hole saw. The perforations in the bottom of the Gaggia double basket are 44mm diameter, and the same on the IMS basket. Wondering if a 44mm hole could cut down a bit on spritzing...?

Opinions?
    Nothing wrong with a bit of a lip if you're not planning on using larger baskets which are too deep for the standard portafilter. You could always enlarge the hole later if you find it causing issues.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler