Londinium Espresso

Thread: Coffee cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Coffee cart

Hi guys, I am currently working on starting a coffee cart business. I bought a van to transport the cart around, I am having my cart built at the moment but it will take a few more weeks, in the meantime I am trying to get all the necessary equipment so I'll be ready to set everything when the cart is finally here. I've decided to go for a Fracino Contempo as dual fuel sounds like a good options to start, for the grinder I was thinking to get a Mazzer but if you have any other recommendation feel free to share.
    I am buying everything needed to make machine and grinder work, the only thing that confuses me a little bit is what exactly is required by the law to start a coffee cart business. Some people say I need a sink, some people say I need 2 sinks, I read somewhere I need none at all. I just would like to know what basic equipment and certification I need to get the permit to start.
    Any tip you can give me will be much appreciated!
    Cheers!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Came across this the other day, seems terribly good value and ready to go!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coffee-Bi...88ca%7Ciid%3A1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crimomo View Post
    I am buying everything needed to make machine and grinder work, the only thing that confuses me a little bit is what exactly is required by the law to start a coffee cart business. Some people say I need a sink, some people say I need 2 sinks, I read somewhere I need none at all. I just would like to know what basic equipment and certification I need to get the permit to start.
    Cheers!!!
    What kind of cart are you going for?

For grinder it depends how you would power it and what power the grinder uses - so you don't run out of battery or go over whatever generator you'd use.

Do a food hygiene training first and then decide.
    My understanding is of course you some sort of hand wash, it doesn't have to be a traditional sink. It depends how you're operating but you'd want to show that you can keep everything clean, so a second sink would be distinct from whatever you use for hand washing. Again I don't think it has to be a sink it can be something else - a washing bowl for instance - where you have a procedure to keep it clean and then clean the stuff that goes in it. Just my opinions of course, as this stuff is important and you'd need confirmation from your council in the end that what you're doing is right to get the food registration and ideally 5 stars. |They would inspect you.

You could consider joining NCASS as they give documentation that helps with the hygiene side and offer some online training things which seem relatively reasonable prices.

For trading, you might need other permits from your council depending on where and how you will trade.
    Everything my heart could desire (more or less). . .

https://cupperjoe.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    570 Post(s)

Contact your local council for advice. You may need to speak to several different departments from trade waste, to how to register as a food business, to street trading permits, depending on where you intend trading. You will need public liability insurance, hygiene certification, possibly employer liability insurance, and probably more . . .
    L-R / Monolith Titan Flat & Conical / HG-1 / Kalita wave / Stag kettle / OCD / Joey Skateboard Handle Customised Pullman Big Step & matching stirrer tool / Wenge Handle Lev Tamp / Push Tamper / Puqpress / 15g & 18g vst / IMS 35μM / LDT / Barista Gear Titanium 340ml pitchers / LW Bean Cellars & Caddy / Decent thermometer / Acme Evo 150ml cups / Espazzola / Hottop / embroidered by me bar towels / in the cellars: North Star, Foundry, The Barn, HasBean, Square Mile / part-time LSOL participant / 6 gorgeous guinea pigs / a dog / a very lovely husband / and a large array of coffee towels!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

@coffeebean may be able to assist with both sourcing your machine and advice on setting up your cart etc
    Hope of help and best of luck for your venture
    John
    Roasters: BB Dalian Amazon 1kg -Power contolled GeneCafe 101- 85Kg of greens - Tonino
    Espresso: Londinium L2 - Gaggia G105 - Silvia v3 Mr.Shades PID'-d - Faema E92a2 (Project) - MyPressi Twist - VST baskets / Motta Europa (350/500/750ml) - Torr Ti 58.55 & Goldfinger flat 58.4 TiBlack - Acaia x2
    Grinders: Flats: Compak R120 - NS Mythos plus Conics: Compak K10PB - Lido 3
    Brewed: Behmor Brazen - Moccamaster KBGT471 - Aeropress - V60 - Cona model D - Clever - Mizudashi - 8-10 + 6 cup Chemex
    Water: BWT Bestmax V Refrac: VST III
    and a Puq Press not in a pear tree..